Turning Off The Alarm

Hi Folks, examining the instruction book at the moment without success so I thought a quick appeal to the crowd might help.

I'm taking a cross channel ferry at the weekend and the ferry company request that all car alarms be 'turned off" for the duration of the trip to avoid accidental triggering by the motion of the boat etc (seems reasonable)

Problem is....how do I do it? I don't think the MFD display has anything and the instruction book is not yielding anything yet.....can you help? :sweat:

As always all input/suggestions gratefully received.

I know other VAG cars I've had have a button at the bottom of the B pillar behind the driver for doing just that. I think you press it, get out and lock it and the alarm will stay off.

I might be wrong but...

I was under the impression that said B pillar button only turns off the interior movement sensor for the alarm, so that if you leave a dog in the car for a bit and want to lock it, the alarm won't go off when the dog moves around. Whether it also ignores any external triggers for the alarm i don't know.

I stand by to be corrected.....

• Like 1

I might be wrong but...

I was under the impression that said B pillar button only turns off the interior movement sensor for the alarm, so that if you leave a dog in the car for a bit and want to lock it, the alarm won't go off when the dog moves around. Whether it also ignores any external triggers for the alarm i don't know.

I stand by to be corrected.....

OK, I've RTFM now:

You can switch the interior monitor and the towing protection monitoring off if there is a possibility that movements from (e.g. children or animals) inside the vehicle interior or if the vehicle must be transported (e.g. by train or ship) or towed,

might trigger the alarm.

So you're not wrong, but protection against forcible entry is maintained, while external triggers such as the vehicle rocking are ignored, which is the desired outcome.

And it does reset on unlocking.

Edited by Devon Wanderer

Im taking a cross channel ferry at the weekend and the ferry company request that all car alarms be 'turned off" for the duration of the trip to avoid accidental triggering by the motion of the boat etc (seems reasonable)

Problem is....how do I do it

Confirmed. In the maxidot there is only one option regarding the alarm, under "Comfort" in "Settings", but this only turns on or off the short beep which sounds when the alarm is switched on or off.

• 1 year later...

If memory serves the button changes from orange illumination to red, however I have no clue if red or orange confirms interior sensors are off, I would prefer illuminated green or not illuminated at all if off. ??

I asume orange is so you can find the damn thing in the first place!  No doubt red is a warning and hence means the alarm is off.  Easy enough to check as if you haven't pressed it - that's the colour it normally is. :)

I asume orange is so you can find the damn thing in the first place!  No doubt red is a warning and hence means the alarm is off.  Easy enough to check as if you haven't pressed it - that's the colour it normally is.  :)

No, that is the opposite of the settings.

According to the manual

Red = normal operation, with the interior and towing detection switched ON

Orange = switch OFF interior / towing detection.

Resets (to Red) automatically next time the car is unlocked and re-locked.

EDIT

Holy Necroposting !!!!

I've just looked again at the Original post date - I guess that by now the OP has already crossed the Channel and returned   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:

• 3 years later...

Superb mk3. I can turn the alarm off as follows, in infotainment.

Velicle - Settings - opening and closing- interior monitoring. And click off. 

Next time you unlock, it turns back on. 

On my Skoda there is no button on the B pillar. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Just in case someone is looking here in the future - not all Superb II cars will have the button.

My car was fitted with alarm + immobilizer but not the interior motion sensor. Therefore, no switch and nothing you need to turn off. I was taking the ferry to the UK and spent 10 minutes scratching my head and trying to see if there was a software switch on the Columbus.

The only clue I didn't have it was the fact that I could not find the button on either of the B-pillars. and before anyone asks if this was an RTFM situation - the manual did not indicate that the button/motion sensor is an option.

8 hours ago, vborovic said:

You're in the section of the Superb Mk2, so your comment might go unnoticed by the Mk3 owners who could use such bits of info

I have also copied it to the Mk 3 section. Thanks

Regarding the actual topic, I remember that my previous Citroen C5 Tourer had a feature regarding this problem ... if you used the remote lock, the car alarm would naturally arm - there was an option to turn off the interior monitoring (the button was behind the steering wheel, below the instrument panel). However, if you wanted the car alarm to be turned off completely (but having the car locked of course), you just needed to lock the car manually (by turning the key in the door - the lock was always accessible on the driver's side, compared to our Superbs, who have the door lock hidden under the cap)

• Like 1