Keep Yeti or New Octavia ?

redandwhitepauly

The Octavia is an excellent car, if I could have one for less than a yeti then I'd go for it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Octavia is an excellent car, if I could have one for less than a yeti then I'd go for it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well I could have an Octavia 2.0L TDi Elegance with toys with no deposit, almost £2000 cash back, 3 yrs free servicing, and £150 a month less than paying now ! £20 car tax a year and up to a third better fuel economy.

Its very difficult not to see the logic in it from a financial perspective especially when the warranty runs out on the yeti and we are in uncertain little niggle territory. I test drove both the 1.6 and 2 litre and though the 5 speed 1.6 was a little unrefined, but the 2 litre went like poo thro a pigeon, but thought the ride quality was not that of the yeti, but very comfy.

Help !!!......... :sweat:

• Like 2

I think you answered yourself. If money is no object then pay all that extra money out and enjoy the Yeti ride quality. If you're concerned that maybe 12x150 plus servicing plus extra fuel cost plus tax plus cost of any repairs out of warranty is perhaps too high a price for that ride quality then buy the Octy.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Personally I only downsized to a yeti because I couldn't justify the cost of a big diesel any more. I don't like the look of the mk2 fabias so the Yeti was the only smaller option. Facing the same decision Now I suspect I'd have ended up in a rapid. They're only cars, it's not like you're choosing a companion for life :-)

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well I could have an Octavia 2.0L TDi Elegance with toys with no deposit, almost £2000 cash back, 3 yrs free servicing, and £150 a month less than paying now ! £20 car tax a year and up to a third better fuel economy.

Its very difficult not to see the logic in it from a financial perspective especially when the warranty runs out on the yeti and we are in uncertain little niggle territory. I test drove both the 1.6 and 2 litre and though the 5 speed 1.6 was a little unrefined, but the 2 litre went like poo thro a pigeon, but thought the ride quality was not that of the yeti, but very comfy.

Help !!!......... :sweat:

Seriously? Do it.

£150/month less is a seriously good offer. Just do the sums in terms of resale value. £150 x 36 = £5,400. If come resale time the Octavia hasn't lost more than £5,400 vs the future value of a Yeti then you are equal and or better off. I doubt the difference in value after 3 years will amount to £5,400. The Octavia will be worth less (than a equally priced Yeti) but not by that much. Just remember VAT offers etc are known to the industry and your future value will be more akin to what you paid than what the official list price was today. Another reason the Yeti has better resale value than the taxi - it has never been part of the VAT free deal.

That last is point very valid.

It's like the mkII Fabia.

When the VRS came out it was list price with negotiated discount.

A year or so later they put it on the VAT free deal.

The end result is a lot of people that rushed out and bought it ended up with far higher depreciation if they only kept the car two or three years.

I have to admit, it was a concern of mine with the Yeti, but fortunately Skoda never felt the need to add the Yeti to the VAT free deal which has given the vehicle class leading residual values.

That last is point very valid.

It's like the mkII Fabia.

When the VRS came out it was list price with negotiated discount.

A year or so later they put it on the VAT free deal.

The end result is a lot of people that rushed out and bought it ended up with far higher depreciation if they only kept the car two or three years.

I have to admit, it was a concern of mine with the Yeti, but fortunately Skoda never felt the need to add the Yeti to the VAT free deal which has given the vehicle class leading residual values.

The resale values are the same in real terms but because of VAT free deals the as sold values of second hand cars (that fell within such a deal) are automatically £2,000 or so less than the original list price. And the residual values are calculated against.... you guessed it: the full original list price. So easy to see why cars bought VAT free have bad residuals (or any Citroën for that matter as ALL Citroëns are always sold with some sort of similar 20% less deal).

• Like 1

If you were in my position with that kind of offer what would you do ??

The thing I would miss most would be the ride height mostly, but I realise everything is swings and roundabouts, and the offer I have would mean 3yrs of stability in terms of payments I know I would have to make.

Must say at this stage that I was not offered any sort of vat deal, its simply the trade in value of my yeti minus settlement figure is over the 36% deposit required for a pcp deal so they would end up giving me £1500 + £500 from Skoda and 3yr service deal etc

You have a valid point though, interesting to think about it.

Edited by redandwhitepauly

If I were in your position and someone were to offer me thousands of pounds like that to take away a new car with fresh warranty...........

If I were in your position and someone were to offer me thousands of pounds like that to take away a new car with fresh warranty...........

I know I know.........my yeti has been the best car I have owned and I love it to bits but 3yrs old almost out of warranty and a totally new yeti probably still a few yrs off, then I am seriously tempted to take a well high spec Octy and save lots of money, and not have the worry of things going wrong for a few yrs.

I know I know.........my yeti has been the best car I have owned and I love it to bits but 3yrs old almost out of warranty and a totally new yeti probably still a few yrs off, then I am seriously tempted to take a well high spec Octy and save lots of money, and not have the worry of things going wrong for a few yrs.

I'll just say something here my dad always told me: never ever buy a car in its first year of manufacture. Remember all the lemon Yetis from 2009? So I won't quite bank on things not going wrong just yet, on something as new as this Octavia platform... Sorry to be a devil's advocate here.

I tend to agree with the above comment. All the cars I've owned that were in the first flush of production had issues of some sort or another.

On the other hand my 2011 yeti has been the least reliable car I've ever had. My 1998 Octavia was one of the first of the Mk1 Octys and it was flawless. If there are issues, that's what the warranty is for (and that's why I still have my yeti)

On the other hand my 2011 yeti has been the least reliable car I've ever had. My 1998 Octavia was one of the first of the Mk1 Octys and it was flawless. If there are issues, that's what the warranty is for (and that's why I still have my yeti)

You just never know!

But I do remember some of the issues from 2009 on the Yeti led to certain things being totally redesigned - the external black A-pillar covers for example to stop them making noise (if memory serves). So it is not just about workmen not quite putting it together correctly, it is also about some parts of the design simply not working at all and then slowly getting corrected (after lots of warranty work feedback from dealers).

• Like 1

As stated in a previous post the TDI 105 4x4 estate could be tempting with it's very low road tax and much improved mpg over our Yeti. However the 4x4 would have to be markedly better than the petrol 2wd Octy III which I drove a few miles in recently; nice car admittedly but IMHO the retrograde torsion beam rear axle is too noticeable.

TP

Oh its definitely trade offs of some sort or another I accept that, and yes I have reservations about first year issue cars but as said its still a warranty and hopefully they learn lessons quicker from existing platforms. Trouble is the longer I put off the less of a financial benefit I get if I want to trade in, and theres no guarantee I could afford the yeti I want next time around if the Octy redesign is anything to go by. I agree with the comments about the rear axle torsion comment, its a slightly harsher ride than the yeti, again swings and roundabouts.

I wish I didn't have the decision to make lol !

The MQB platform that the Octy 3 has does have a choice of either twist beam or independent multi link rear suspension. The latter only available on the cooking versions. As to how either will behave in normal road use is debatable. Each has pros and cons. Ultimately the multi link set up will be better for spirited handling but the twist beam with fewer moving parts should be not only cheaper to purchase but also has less to go wrong.

I really like the new Octy but few cars that I have owned or driven have given me a grin like the Yeti (with multi link rear end) when it's time to change (perish the thought) I would still go for the Yeti as it has a certain personality that is missing from most cars.

I also saw two Dusters over the Bank Holiday one of which was pulling a huge caravan.

But were they legal? kerb weight with driver 1360 ish max tow weight 1500kg which is 200kg heavier than the car so not ideal using the caravan clubs rec of 85% 1150kg thats a medium size two berth van at best.