Aircondition behaves strangely

Hi,

We have a Octavia II from 2006. This summer the AC is behaving strangley, it takes about 15.20 minutes before it starts blowing cool air.

If the AC is off, the RPM of the engine is around 700. When AC on it rises to about 900 RPM. Always has.

The two fans in front of the engine I suppose one of them has to do with the AC?

When the engine is cold they dosnt spin. Dont know it thats normal but I suppose it is since the engine is cold.

Is it possibly to little gas in the AC system so it take some time for the compressor to build up pressure? Does a refill solve the problem? I talked to our local Skoda dealer and the tecnichian said it was a strange symptom.

When the AC finaly blows cold air its cold, really cold.

Suggestions?

hi, Frederik,

I have similar problem. I've been in two garages, hook it to machine, refill it, same problem. everything is normal, just this postpone cooling...

I notice that if I turn ac off and after few seconds on again it starting to cool. Is it same whit you?

if you find some solution let me know please,

best regards

• 4 weeks later...

hi, Frederik,

I have similar problem. I've been in two garages, hook it to machine, refill it, same problem. everything is normal, just this postpone cooling...

I notice that if I turn ac off and after few seconds on again it starting to cool. Is it same whit you?

if you find some solution let me know please,

best regards

Hi Jorobah,

Guess what, two Days ago at midsummerseve we where on the way on the highway. It was about 30+celcius outside so I though now was a good time to push the AC button to see if it works. Pushed the button for the AC to come on, BANG, a loud noice followed by a plume of smoke behind the car where we where cruse in 140km/h... the light that indicates that the battery has no charge lighted up so... pulled over and stoped the car. The wire to the generator was toasted and I guess that the AC is RIP. Going to Contact my local dealer tomorrow so they can send someone to pic up the car and investigate how bad it is. But after Ive read some other threads about bad compressors for the AC I cant Think about anyting else then that the entire system is dead.

Nice day huh? Hole family in the car and that happens....

You can't just create cool air from nothing. Air conditioning, refrigerators, etc all work the same way. You take heat energy and move it somewhere else.

In the case of a car, it dumps it through the condenser which looks like a normal radiator in front of the car, just thinner. If the fan doesn't work, heat can't be evacuated properly which causes the entire system to stop working. When the condenser fan is dead the AC typically works while the car is moving, but not when it's standing still.

Not sure what your problem was (bang, plume of smoke, etc) but a dead condenser fan doesn't help, that's for sure.

You can't just create cool air from nothing. Air conditioning, refrigerators, etc all work the same way. You take heat energy and move it somewhere else.

In the case of a car, it dumps it through the condenser which looks like a normal radiator in front of the car, just thinner. If the fan doesn't work, heat can't be evacuated properly which causes the entire system to stop working. When the condenser fan is dead the AC typically works while the car is moving, but not when it's standing still.

Not sure what your problem was (bang, plume of smoke, etc) but a dead condenser fan doesn't help, that's for sure.

Understood.

What I meant was that the "alternator belt" Went to heaven. And if that Went to heaven I Think it did it for a reason, may it be the AC compressor that Went because it didnt worked?

I'm a bit new to all things VAG and Skoda myself, but if I understand things correctly the compressor on the MK2 Octavia doesn't have the usual magnetic clutch that engages and disengages the compressor. It always spins with the engine regardless if it's "turned on" or not.

By the way, feel free to PM me if you want to continue the discussion in swedish :)

When the condenser fan is dead the AC typically works while the car is moving, but not when it's standing still

And this seems to be quote a common problem that lots of people don't realise till its too late. Unfortunately the design of the fans in some? VRS is not good and has a week link where it tries to drop down the speed of the fan (It will work at full speed but not at 10% speed which it should do when the air con is on)

It was about 30+celcius outside so I though now was a good time to push the AC button to see if it works. Pushed the button for the AC to come on, BANG, a loud noice followed by a plume of smoke

This happened to me last night. +30 Celsius, stationary in car park, started up the engine and then whoosh! Dealer has fixed it today, 423€.... Said it was an aircon switch failure, after which the whole system needed refilling.

Anyone else had this problem?

I had the same problem, The ac used to take about 5 minutes to switch on. Then is suddenly completely stopped cooling. Turns out that I had a leak in the condenser, changed the condenser and now is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!

At last, the workshop called me today. 

New generator and rem.

New AC-compressor, condenser, gas and all the other stuff related to the AC-system.

So tomorrow I have my car, it took ONLY 3 weeks to get it fixed, woah!

:)

So now you know, IF the AC stops blowing cool air, dont try it again, go to the nearest workshop and let em figure it out BEFORE it crashes. Or you will have 13000SEK less in your wallet. (about 1000$)