LED DLR Bulbs - What Works, Confused?

I put a sharp thin tool down the back of the terminal & pulled the wire out of the plug.

Swapped the wires round then refitted the terminals into the plug.

Not difficult once you have done one.

CD.

I'll sort a picture tomorrow.

• Like 2

Kevsta you need to remove both wiring terminals from the Black holder. Seen in picture as term 1 & term 2 are shown on the black plug.. 

These two wires with the terminals need swapping from 1 to 2.

Some one suggested to just cut both the wires & re-joined them about 2" up from the plug to give you room . (no probs if you wonna do that). Then solder up the join. Or straight in line crimp terminals. I have loads...

I removed the whole term from where it says 1 & 2 from the Black connector.

First you need to prise out the waterproof sleeve in the black connector where the wires enter, as just pull them out & push them up the wire out of the way.

Second a Sharpe probe needs to go down the side of the wire & in turn down the side of the term' to unlock its tag, then pull out wire & term' together.

Then just change over the wire positions as 1 goes into 2 & 2 goes into 1.

Simples.  

If you need further info PM me your number I will call back.

CD

I think I am just doing to buy some intelligent polarity bulbs as I will definitely make a mess trying to swap the wires round. If they were a screw terminal type fixing then that would be doddle but i can see me breaking something as they are. They are abit more expensive but hopefully should genuinely be plug and play. These are the ones I'm swaying towards atm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300928495265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The DRL's are not on the canbus system either!

Lewis

Here you go.

Remove the lamps, remove black wiring plug from lamp body.

Aprox 3" away from plug cut the 2 wires.

Bare off the cable ends as in pic.

Fit single In Line Connectors as shown &  change over the wires, 1 goes into 2 & 2 goes into 1. . crimp.

That's all there is to it.

Simples.

--------------------

WOW....

£25.95 They are expensive.....

----------------------------

These are

9-LED P21W BA15s 1156 Stop Brake/Tail/Indicator Car Light... (280866112955) £4.95 for 2.

Free P&P

post-98872-0-02275700-1378736989_thumb.jpg

post-98872-0-21206400-1378737001_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think the bulbs you have linked are the right fitment Lewis the pins on those are offset. You need p21w ba15s.

I have a pair of them in my car, cost me £22 and they just twist in and WORK straight out the box!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Lewis

Here you go.

Remove the lamps, remove black wiring plug from lamp body.

Aprox 3" away from plug cut the 2 wires.

Bare off the cable ends as in pic.

Fit single In Line Connectors as shown &  change over the wires, 1 goes into 2 & 2 goes into 1. . crimp.

That's all there is to it.

Simples.

--------------------

WOW....

£25.95 They are expensive.....

----------------------------

These are

9-LED P21W BA15s 1156 Stop Brake/Tail/Indicator Car Light... (280866112955) £4.95 for 2.

Free P&P

Thanks for the walk through but I just don't fancy cutting wires on my first ever brand new car lol. And on one side there is hardly any slack to get in there with the crimps. But thats just abit of an excuse if I'm honest.  

I don't think the bulbs you have linked are the right fitment Lewis the pins on those are offset. You need p21w ba15s.

I have a pair of them in my car, cost me £22 and they just twist in and WORK straight out the box!

I thought the fitment was 1156 so that what I have been searching. But I see what your saying about the offset pins. I'm so glad you pointed it out as I've put off buying them up to now  :whew:

Lewis

I can fully appreciate you not wanting to cut wires on your car, I'm the same. You could use Scotch Lock but even then I have concerns regarding warranty issues. I made my own little wiring loom when I changed the horn instead of cutting into the cars wiring.

If you want a pair of bright white CREE DRL bulbs that you just put straight in then I have these and I know of others who have also got them and had no problems.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=281120420538

Jon

"But thats just abit of an excuse if I'm honest."

There is loads of room to cut the wires, try removing some of the binding.

I don't know you guys must have money to burn @ £22 a pr.......

10 mins work to remove the terminals...5 mins to cut & join wires.

There are other Bling items to get yet.

Don't forget the Mirror Puddle lights!!!!

LED strip lights in the boot.

HD dash cam £26.

CD

Edited by Carlo diesel

If you cut the wires does it cos your warranty though Carlo?

My only vice is my car, don't drink or smoke, so £22 isn't that bad.

I have to say I have SMD light strips in the boot as the light is poor in there. ..I did not cut into the wires there either.

If the car was out of warranty I would quite happily chop away or use Scotch Lock

I cant see how it would effect the warranty. Its only a light you are modding.

Its not as if the mod is going to be seen. Done proper nice & neat wont show.

Even if you cut & crimp it can be tapped up neatly.

When mine went in for the brake pull the guy mentioned the LEDs look good. :rock:

Last two times in it came out with the DRL lights turned off.

Edited by Carlo diesel

If there is some kind of electrical fault that can be traced back to anything remotely linked to the cars lighting system, which believe me they would try to do, they will not cover that part of the warranty. (They will say the wiring is connected to the fuse box, the fuse box is connected to the brake light switch which is connected to the pedal which is connected to the brake line which is connected to the disc which is connected to the sensor that we now won't replace...... sad but a reality)

It's Not about taste and style its all about tampering with the cars original wiring and changing something that Skoda have guarenteed. If they can get away with paying out they will so don't give them a reason I say.

Upgraded DRLs are best though we can both agree on that :D plus like you say Carlos, done neatly would they see it?

I have to say I have SMD light strips in the boot as the light is poor in there. ..I did not cut into the wires there either.

Do you have a walk trough on fitting these? would be interested in doing that! and also a link to parts??  (sorry to hijack the thread)

It was actually very easy. I tapped into the existing boot light on the inside left.

Firstly I used these. ..2 of the smaller ones and 1 of the larger. ..there are all different colours.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281115732586     http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281101519603

I also used a cheap blue w5w bulb to replace the existing internal one.

Get some 2 core wire and connect it to the terminals on the existing light then secure with insulation tape. ..don't let the wires touch the metal cage or the fuse will blow.

Run a small length, approx 3 inches to a junction box and secure.

Then at the other side of the box run 3 wires from each terminal. One that can reach all the way to the right side of the boot (longest distance) one that reaches the bottom middle of the boot and one that just goes to the left of the boot.

You can run the wire under the rubber seal of the boot to hide it and take it in behind the plastic trim and out of the slatted area under the parcel shelf...same on each side. Then connect the loose wires to the strips and hide the joined wires behind the trim. Stick the strips in place, I stick them to the recessed area under the shelf.

I also put the longer strip in the middle of the rear of the boot where the emergency triangle would sit, again I went under the seal and behind the plastic trim.

When you go behind the trim nothing had to be removed the wires just drop in behind as the seal is off then just refit the seal.

Don't forget that light switches off after approx 5 mins so you may need to close and open the boot to reactivate the power delivery.

Hope this makes sense.

20130718_235127_ViewRd_zpsb694afaa.jpg20130718_235117_ViewRd_zpsd99e622f.jpg

Edited by jonro2009
  • Like 1

jonro

Very good.

I actually ran my wires in the double skin of the boot and out under the parcel shelf through the existing holes. 

Took a bit of doing, so you also cant see the wires anywhere at all.

I used 2 x 12" white light led strip. 1pr was £2 delivered. When I went to order some more...yup I put 2 in the roof section of my van, they had gone up to £4 a pr delivered.

A very worth while job seeing as winter is on the way. 

And don't forget your Puddle lights.

Edited by Carlo diesel
  • Like 1

jonro

Very good.

I actually ran my wires in the double skin of the boot and out under the parcel shelf through the existing holes.

And don't forget your Puddle lights.

I did put the wires in the double skin too, like you said it's a bit fiddly but worth the hidden wires.

I've seen a post about puddle lights and the how to guide. I have been tempted haha.....

• 1 month later...