New Octavia 4x4, UK spec - Why no Rough Road Package?

Option on the Octavia Combi 4x4 in Germany:

Schlechtwegepaket

180,00 €

inkl. Triebwerksschutzunterboden sowie Steinschlagschutzunterboden (erhöhte Bodenfreiheit, geänderte Dämpferabstimmung)

Poor road package

€ 180.00

including engine underbody protection and underbody stone guard (increased ground clearance, modified damper settings)

From the Czech site:

Rough Road

Underbody protection is addressed by the Rough Road Package, which includes:

- Lower the engine cover and gear plastic

- Increasing the ride height by 15 mm (different springs, standard silencer)

- Protection of brake fluid lines and rope pull

These elements provide protection from:

- Mechanical damage (in contact with uneven road surfaces, departing stones)

- Damage to the exposed parts (cables, engine compartment, axles)

- A slight increase permeability with the ground (higher ground clearance)

The above came as standard on UK spec. Octavia II 4x4 estates, but now is not even an option on the UK spec. Octavia III 4x4 estate.

Why the hell not I ask? Oh, I forgot, all UK roads are like billiard tables. Simply Clever? Yeah, right...

To push people into ordering a Scout if they want something with more offroad capability. I wonder also whether manufacturers being monitored against the CO2 emissions of their sold cars is relevant here - the elevated version of the 4x4 would have slightly higher figures.

This package is available in Norway as well. I was considering it, but it was impossible to combine the package with anything bigger than 16" rims. Does anybody know why this is? And is it possible to fit 18" at a later stage? Or will it always be constricted to 16" or less?

This and the seemingly shortened warranty on the mkiii are putting me off. Im personally happy it's at least available with 16" wheels as I wouldn't want thinner tyres on it. I think it's ridiculous that the passat Alltrack, which does come with steel underbody protection has idiotic 18" alloys only.

I really would like the raised suspension and steel plating. I wonder how much the parts will cost to buy afterwards. Though with the change in suspension needed too, it looks like it will cost quite a lot to put it right. If ireland get it, would it be worth importing one from there?

This package is available in Norway as well. I was considering it, but it was impossible to combine the package with anything bigger than 16" rims. Does anybody know why this is? And is it possible to fit 18" at a later stage? Or will it always be constricted to 16" or less?

If you need steel underbody protection, then you don't need or want 18" rims.

I was also appalled the Alltrak had 18's.

Can you explain? First time I've read this.

I was just about to post the same question! It's always been three years as standard and is currently the same with options to extend it to 5 years as long as I know. How is it now shorter?!

If you go through the configurator, you can only pick a 4 year warranty now. I asked about this in another thread and it was confirmed by someone who bought one that they just got 4 years.

If ireland get it, would it be worth importing one from there?

The Octavia III isn't even available in a 4x4 version in Ireland. (yet???)

The 4x4 Superb is however, but whilst the "Rough road package (€227)" is available for the Superb Combi 4x4 in Ireland, (as in mainland Europe), for the UK spec. Superb Estate 4x4 the Rough road package, you guessed it, is not available...

Why oh why oh why...

I bought the 4 year warranty but added post order. You sort it out with the dealer anyway so no need to include on the original car order. total of 4 yr is £255, or total of 5 yr is £525 and includes full Skoda Roadside Assistance, so not bad value imo.

If you go through the configurator, you can only pick a 4 year warranty now. I asked about this in another thread and it was confirmed by someone who bought one that they just got 4 years.

I'm confused as you can still select a five year warranty on the octy 3 - well you could a fortnight ago when I was discussing with the dealer - it was circa £500 iirc

Edit - just read matts post above! So we know its still available. And good point re Skoda Assist cover being included as that's actually just under £100 a year if bought yearly so I agree, good value. :)

If you need steel underbody protection, then you don't need or want 18" rims.

I was also appalled the Alltrak had 18's.

Could you please answer my question instead of telling me what I need or don´t need?

Is it possible to fit 18" rims, if you should want to do that, at some stage during the car´s lifespan?

The only reason I can think of is the larger diameter alloys are also wider and that is incompatible with the different suspension you get with the rough road package.

But embrace it, as its the *only* 4x4 estate car you can get on normal wheels. I looked at all the others and they have stupid tyres. Volvo XC70, Subaru Legacy, Audi Allroad and Passat Alltrack. To each their own, but I prefer function over fashion.

• Like 1

Could you please answer my question instead of telling me what I need or don´t need?

Is it possible to fit 18" rims, if you should want to do that, at some stage during the car´s lifespan?

I'm not an expert but as far as I am aware 16" and 18" wheel/tyre overall diameter is the same, just more or less rubber to compensate, SWMBO's OctyII has 16" alloys and they are +- a few mm the same as my 18s. My spare is a 16" steel with the same fixing centres so I would wager a small bet that you could retro fit larger alloys, in fact you can spec dealer fit alloys to any Octy, there is even the Torini alloy in the brochure, which would possibly leave you with a nice spare set of factory alloys for use with winter tyres? :think:

I'd put money on the 18's fitting. But your combination still makes no sense.

I think they supply 16" wheels so you can have a spare that you can use as normal , which makes sense if you are off road sometime.

You don't even have to have any spare with the rough road package, so its probably not that.

Don't worry, when the Scout comes out it will probably also follow the flock though and have 18s only.

Re Rough Road Package

Last Friday, my Dealer read me a recent post from Skoda that said that such a package was available for the Octavia. £150. For order now. No detail as to what it includes - maybe the same as the Yeti, so ride height wouldn't change.

Re Rough Road Package

Last Friday, my Dealer read me a recent post from Skoda that said that such a package was available for the Octavia. £150. For order now. No detail as to what it includes - maybe the same as the Yeti, so ride height wouldn't change.

Yeti already at max ride height :giggle:

However yes pack available and has been since launch, although the steel engine under-tray became toughened plastic in August 2010.

Currently the RRP is £200 but you have to put up with keeping the standard oversized 17" rims (unless you ask the SUK boss nicely for 16" ;) )

TP

Re Rough Road Package

This is good news, along with the updated stuff I've heard about the warranty. Now if only someone would come along and say they also do a bigger fuel tank too :)

Re Rough Road Package

Good news if indeed the case, however it's about time Skoda's webmaster fixed the .uk site in that case, as of today it still doesn't show up as an option...

The rough road option for £150 was announced back in April for the Octavia 3. Think the order code was PK4 but the details of it are listed in my sticky at the top of this forum. :)

Now if only you could get the RRP on the Superb Outdoor.......

The RRP on the Superb Combi 4x4 is available in, you guessed it, Ireland, as an option for €227.