New options for Rapid

This is awkward!

The thing is that mine was built in June, so after May 2013 and it still doesn't have these. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow and ask him to contact Skoda regarding this, I also asked him to look into replacing this control unit with a 4 window one - I know that it's not that easy, but I want them to look into this to highlight this issue to them.

Are you sure your car is from June?

There's something wrong here then!

I think my car was built during early June and it has the 4 electric window switches on the driver's door panel.  If that helps?

I envy you man;) However, I talked to my dealer and to the vw-importer here, and we will seek for a solution to this "problem". I call it "problem" cause I knew what I was buying (well, actually I didn't notice it, I took it for granted) and Skoda didn't hide it from me:) 

Mine was built around mid-May and it has the 4 window controls.

Is there any possibility that you could reject the car and ask for a new one?

It sounds like perhaps they already had a car that was built to your specifications and have given you that one, which could have been built before Week 22, or your car was built early but took a while to ship?

:( Frustrating, I know.

• Like 1

The thing is that the 4 window controls is, how can I say this..., it's a "ghost" feature, cause they won't advertise "Hey, this Rapid has 4 windows controls on the driver's door!". I mean, regarding average modern car standards, having 4 windows controls is just like having tires of rubber, or seatbelts, or airbag, or even a rudimentary FM/AM radio or door locks! No one expects that a car doesn't come with this, unless it's specifically stated on the car's specifications!

I got very frustrated when I received my Rapid because apart from this, the car is spectacular!!! This is the 1% that my car needs to be 100%. I'm very hopeful that I will have this resolved in a near future.

I took delivery of the car on Friday, had to sort out all the paperwork. The dealer said that he'll contact the importer and verify the actual date of manufacture and when they switched over to 4 window controls. I also asked him to investigate if the 2 window control can be replaced by a 4 window control, so he'll get back to me on that. The amazing thing is that on the drivers door I have the button to block rear window control (child saftey), but they couldn't add the controls for the rear windows. :think:

It could be that the car was made just a week before this change, the info he had so far was that the car was made at the start of June, but it could have been earlier and just sitting there in the factory.

Also, has anyone noticed that the fuel tank door can be opened while the car is locked? The ice scraper/magnifying glass sits in the fuel tank door, I'll probably keep it in the glovebox now. :)

• Like 1

I took delivery of the car on Friday, had to sort out all the paperwork. The dealer said that he'll contact the importer and verify the actual date of manufacture and when they switched over to 4 window controls. I also asked him to investigate if the 2 window control can be replaced by a 4 window control, so he'll get back to me on that. The amazing thing is that on the drivers door I have the button to block rear window control (child saftey), but they couldn't add the controls for the rear windows. :think:

It could be that the car was made just a week before this change, the info he had so far was that the car was made at the start of June, but it could have been earlier and just sitting there in the factory.

Also, has anyone noticed that the fuel tank door can be opened while the car is locked? The ice scraper/magnifying glass sits in the fuel tank door, I'll probably keep it in the glovebox now. :)

Cool. Now let's just wait for what they'll say to you!

About the fuel tank door, I guess it's standard now. My uncle has the new Ford Focus Ecoboost and the fuel door doesn't lock either. The previous Focus he had was the same. At least in Rapid we can lock the tank cover manually with the key. My old Jetta is 23 years old and he locks the fuel tank door when all doors are locked:) ah and yes, my ice scraper is also in the glovebox:)

Edited by niant

Just to update regarding the 4 window control on the drivers door. The dealer took my car into service and checked to see if there were wires already run for it - no, there aren't any wires to just simply plug in a new 4 switch control. Long story short, they would need to run wires, which means taking out seats, carpet... etc, so the hours would just stack up and with the cost of doing it officially being rather high (in order to keep warranty) it all becomes to expensive. The intersting thing is that the new 4 switch control is available in the service catalog, so it can be ordered.

Offically, the importer said that for our contry they didn't change over to 4 window controls at week 22, so even if it was made in July, it would have had 2 window control on the drivers door. It seems that only some countries got the 4 window controls.

It seems that Skoda has different standards for different countries (of course that they can argue that prices are slightly different as well)

• Like 1

It's down to the importer in each country what they order to sell for their market, out of what's available.

Except if you ask Skoda UK they will blame it on the factory despite said options being available almost everywhere else  :wall:

• Like 1

It's been a while since we've gotten to hear about any more spec changes ... I expected they'd be announcing satnav as standard with the Elegance or something like that by now ;)

• Like 1

sweet!!

hoping superskoda will be offering these upgrades quite soon (decorative bars, facsia for radio, xenon headlights and 3 spoke steering wheel).

in other words... Bye bye salary..

Same here ... I always keep and eye and see what they have. I've noticed they've brought out a bodykit but TBH I can't see much difference. I was thinking it would be like the Sport or a VRS one ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I am getting more and more pished off by Skoda and the Rapid. :@

I'm starting to remember why to never buy the first year's production of any car.

Something I have previously done very well.

Feels like those of us willing to pay for a Rapid early in it's life and get them on the road are getting a more basic car and will miss out on all the free upgrades.

For a lot of people this is a lot of money. For a substandard car they've improved several times already.

I can't help feeling they have dropped the ball on this one and are now making changes that should have been there for day one.

Yet they are quite happy to build a cheaper to produce one and flog them off in the meantime...

Just seems wrong.

Glad I've only bought a 1.2TSI, at least it should be quiet anyway.

Sometimes manufacturers go the other direction.  I had a Ford Mondeo (Mk3) LX which is the basic trim and it has electric rear windows.  In the later face lifted models you had to get a higher trim to get electric rear windows.  There were a few other minor things dropped or moved up the range as well.

Sometimes manufacturers go the other direction.  I had a Ford Mondeo (Mk3) LX which is the basic trim and it has electric rear windows.  In the later face lifted models you had to get a higher trim to get electric rear windows.  There were a few other minor things dropped or moved up the range as well.

The current SEAT Ibiza FR has lost a load of equipment compared with my 1.2TSi Sport - rear electric windows, rear privacy glass, power folding mirrors, hill hold control, tyre pressure monitoring, standard spare wheel and even stop-start.

Edited by PeterA5145

The improved interior looks really nice but its annoying they've changed it so much in less than a year after launch. Most of the enhancements will be impossible or very expensive to retrofit

The current SEAT Ibiza FR has lost a load of equipment compared with my 1.2TSi Sport - rear electric windows, rear privacy glass, power folding mirrors, hill hold control, tyre pressure monitoring, standard spare wheel and even stop-start.

Yeah SEAT dropped quite a lot of equipment during the facelift. I had one of the early 2008 Ibiza SCs in SE trim for a while and it too seemed to have more equipment than the new FR offers. It's the little things like lack of a central rear headrest and height adjustable passenger seat which are particularly cheeky!

The improved interior looks really nice but its annoying they've changed it so much in less than a year after launch. 

It's a little bizarre that's for sure. I'm still perfectly happy with mine but I imagine as mine's a "pre update" version it'll affect the value if I trade it in (probably 3-4 years) rather than decide to keep it.

It's a little bizarre that's for sure. I'm still perfectly happy with mine but I imagine as mine's a "pre update" version it'll affect the value if I trade it in (probably 3-4 years) rather than decide to keep it.

Dealers are always telling us options don't make a difference to the part. ex price though! I expect it's a different story when the boot's on the other foot though :D

• Like 1

Aircon and alloys, where optional, will make a difference to the part-ex price, but anything else will be neither here nor there. And I can't see a "pre-update" version will make much difference either apart from the general effect of being older.