New options for Rapid

Also I'm wondering how much of the road noise I do get on the way in to work is due to the tyres, I do remember a huge improvement when I fit Michelin Energy Savers to my Fabia, I'm going to go back to them but I can't justify doing it until these Dunlops have worn.

Well, when I sat in the TSI on the test drive, I asked rather stupidly the chap accompanying me 'is it running?' (it was). The engine was as quiet as a mouse at idle and at wonderfully hushed at 60mph. Never noticed any road noise so can't really comment.

The problem is it's all subjective.

My Yeti is one of the quietest diesels I've come across, yet next to the virtually silent LEAF it's a tractor! :D

Trying to not over hype the Rapid and get my hopes up too much.

Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

• Like 1

Any road noise that does happen is *entirely* dependent on the road surface - the stretch I commute along is pretty much the only trunk road available in and out of North Wales so it gets a real hammering, it's truly dreadful in places. The newer stretches of tarmac where they've obviously had to admit it needs resurfacing the noise goes away completely.

As I say, I suffered with this in my Fabia too (and my R plate Fiesta before that, but that was only a Ford anyway, pfft).

Hmm, well it definitely seems like Skoda's prodigal son the Octavia has taken pride of place over the thrifty Rapid, which I almost feel has been elbowed aside and forgotten about. It does seem that they have listened to initial criticism, which is fair enough I suppose.

I'd rather have the upcoming improvements than not, we all would, but I ain't waiting any bloody longer.

It is a Skoda, though - a Volkswagen group car... it's not a Dacia or something so they shouldn't go about making silly omissions like the driver's rear window switches e.t.c.

Hmm, well it definitely seems like Skoda's prodigal son the Octavia has taken pride of place over the thrifty Rapid, which I almost feel has been elbowed aside and forgotten about. It does seem that they have listened to initial criticism, which is fair enough I suppose.

I'd rather have the upcoming improvements than not, we all would, but I ain't waiting any bloody longer.

It is a Skoda, though - a Volkswagen group car... it's not a Dacia or something so they shouldn't go about making silly omissions like the driver's rear window switches e.t.c.

Totally agreed!

The problem is it's all subjective.

My Yeti is one of the quietest diesels I've come across, yet next to the virtually silent LEAF it's a tractor! :D

Trying to not over hype the Rapid and get my hopes up too much.

Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

That's spot on for so many aspects of model comparisons. It's what you are used to ie what you are comparing it too. I took a 1.6tdi Rapid out straight after the Octavia 3 1.6tdi and there was a fair difference in refinement/nvh, noticeably so in fact on a couple of road sections where the Rapid transmitted it through into the cabin and the Octavia... Simply didnt. Would the older Fabia, for instance, be worse still than the Rapid? Quite possibly it would.

I too am annoyed at the bits that should have been offered at launch - xenons, elec window switch for rear, soft touch stuff, different colours.

Overall very pleased with the car but would have waited knowing those options were available later.

Had the car 2 months this week.

I too am annoyed at the bits that should have been offered at launch - xenons, elec window switch for rear, soft touch stuff, different colours.

Overall very pleased with the car but would have waited knowing those options were available later.

Had the car 2 months this week.

yeah, we all are annoyed. For some of us it will mean spending an extra money for those extras:( Too sad!

I'd only be a bit annoyed if I'd ordered and paid top whack for a new one tbh. Can't complain at what I got mine for.

I see it as a positive that Skoda have reacted quickly to the criticisms, although I can see why some of you would be ****ed off. But then when the upgrades come through maybe such big discounts won't be available?

When all the updates come on song and the Spaceback is available too, hopefully with some of the options from the Rapid Sport I can see it becoming quite a desirable little car.

I blame VAG for the initial penny pinching - it's never seemed fair to me that Skoda have been under pressure to improve profit margins (cut costs) when they actually make more £££ per car than VW and have consistently made large profits for VAG over a number of years when certain arms of the group, **cough**SEAT**cough** have not!

Bossfox - I think you're going to be disappointed with your window switches I'm afraid. Week22 onwards for the new ones.

I'd only be a bit annoyed if I'd ordered and paid top whack for a new one tbh. Can't complain at what I got mine for.

I see it as a positive that Skoda have reacted quickly to the criticisms, although I can see why some of you would be ****ed off. But then when the upgrades come through maybe such big discounts won't be available?

When all the updates come on song and the Spaceback is available too, hopefully with some of the options from the Rapid Sport I can see it becoming quite a desirable little car.

I blame VAG for the initial penny pinching - it's never seemed fair to me that Skoda have been under pressure to improve profit margins (cut costs) when they actually make more £££ per car than VW and have consistently made large profits for VAG over a number of years when certain arms of the group, **cough**SEAT**cough** have not!

Bossfox - I think you're going to be disappointed with your window switches I'm afraid. Week22 onwards for the new ones.

ah ok, I wasn't seeing the all picture here, this changes Skoda had made, are a reaction to the criticisms, really? Didn't know. They could, indeed, make some discounts and all.

If these were the first changes it wouldn't be to bad, but the fact they've already changed the spec for the UK since launch makes it annoying given they've only been out 6 months. What really annoys me is the dealers don't seem to know what they are selling and I've seen cars get advertised and registered wrong. Shouldn't have to rely on a forum to know the spec

Also I'm wondering how much of the road noise I do get on the way in to work is due to the tyres, I do remember a huge improvement when I fit Michelin Energy Savers to my Fabia, I'm going to go back to them but I can't justify doing it until these Dunlops have worn.

The Dunlop tyres are horrifically bad for noise :(

True, the ex demo SEs loaded up with options were great value and we probably won't see the same in future.

That's very much my view point too - I had a look on the configurator and an SE with my engine plus Black Magic paint came out at £15845 - considering I got it for a smidgeon over £10k I'm quite happy, it's essentially a 33% discount on the original list price if you ignore the fact I don't have the front fogs/climatronic/electric rears.

The Dunlop tyres are horrifically bad for noise :(

That seems to be the prevailing opinion I can find of them from people who actually drive around on them day to day... All of the "official" reviews from magazines etc make claims of "very low road noise" etc, methinks Dunlop got the journos in to a trendy bar for a slap up meal and free bar after giving them a 10 minute drive on them!

I believe the "decorative bars" are indeed the gloss strips as seen on the Rapid Sport. They will be available in Piano Black and Piano White.

:< Hope they can be retrofitted. Anyone know - are they just adhesive or somehow inset?

:< Hope they can be retrofitted. Anyone know - are they just adhesive or somehow inset?

Let's just hope that almost everything can be retrofitted! It makes no sense to have such different versions of Rapid in so little time between them:/

one question for the decorative bars (if this refers to the interior as shown on the pics above):

where is the passenger airbag located?

because where the decorative bar will be, my Rapid writes "Airbag" but in drawings, i see it deploys from the upper part of the dash .

if retroffited (really looking forward to this part), would it interfere with the passenger airbag on "older" Rapid versions?

Yes, where they write "airbag" isn't where it comes out.

Because the part that opens to let the bag out is quite high up on the flat part of the dash and you wouldn't see it.

Airbags?! Airbags are a lie invented by Ford in the 70s to artificially inflate sales prices...

...and on the subject, NCAP videos aren't actually slowed down - they are real-time.

We're all being conned, don't you all see?

• Like 1

Airbags?! Airbags are a lie invented by Ford in the 70s to artificially inflate sales prices...

...and on the subject, NCAP videos aren't actually slowed down - they are real-time.

We're all being conned, don't you all see?

No. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the "decorative bars" are indeed the gloss strips as seen on the Rapid Sport. They will be available in Piano Black and Piano White.

Confirmed as above in the following colours:

- Piano white

- Graphite metallic

- Light tonal brushed

- Brushed

- Piano black

post-6633-0-06126500-1369764459.jpg

-

• Like 1