Opinion Sought On Selling Parts

Sadly the time has come to dispose of our Felicai 1.3.

6 months ago I replaced the throttle body and coil pack at considerable expense.

I was wondering whether it would be worth removing them frrm the car before she goes

to the scrap heap in the sky.

Any ideas on what I could flog them for?

Thank you

Z.

When I scrapped a Fun Truck a couple of years ago, I stripped everything of value I could think of. So far I've made about £450 in sold parts. Ok, so some it is unique to the Fun, but there's still stuff that works across them all.

Seats, Strut brace (if you've got one), lights, fuseboard (very recently sold mine for some beer money ;) ) etc etc assuming you have storage space for the parts. If you're having it picked up for the scrapper, then maybe even the wheels!

a new throttle body is a very expensive item from skoda... circa £350 iirc so it's got to be worth something. ebay can be a bit dodgy for selling stuff like that, i've ended up paying more in postage than the seller paid me in total

I had a new throttle body that I bought when I first got the rally car, plus a new coilpack. When I sold them, I didn't get much - IIRC I got £20 for the TB and £10 for the coil pack. The problem is that even if they are near-new and super-expensive, the Felicia is a cheap car and it's still a secondhand part. Most of it isn't worth much, alas, but at least the TB and CP are small so you can store them without issue and send them cheaply. Having sold a -lot- of Felicia parts, I think most of it's not worth much - at one point I couldn't sell a complete leather L&K interior for £100 - ended up putting it in my recce car...

Not really, you'd be able to sell them elsewhere without paying anywhere near that!

In which case, if sale discussion is being made on a place where you DO have to pay £12 to advertise, then I wouldn't be surprised if this thread disappears during the day today. ;)

Yea, gumtree is free, Ebay is free if you start @ 99p listing, but you pay 10% final value,

... I thought the OP had made it clear he was asking for advice, not advertising the parts. Given the amount of time it took for me to sell similar, I'd be surprised if someone would buy them having seen this thread - as I said above they're fairly niche parts for a progressively ageing car.

Obviously there are fees on eBay as it reaches a huge audience, and gumtree is free, but there are plenty of other places which are free as well. But on the original point that you made, I think the £12 would only be worthwhile if it meant a sale which otherwise wouldn't have happened did so, or the price reached was considerably higher than elsewhere. In my experience that's not the case.

... I thought the OP had made it clear he was asking for advice, not advertising the parts.

Those three words: Are they not why Briskoda exists in the first place?

I know asking for advice about selling/what parts are worth something can be a bit of a sticky issue, but I, for one, feel it would be a dark day when Briskoda starts charging for people to get advice.

Maybe there could be a nominal fee to place a one-off advert in the For Sale section. It surely must put some non-members off if they have something to offer other owners, only to be told "you'll have to pay £12 to advertise that" when that one-off is all they were going to offer. Especially those who (for whatever reason) are leaving the Skoda community. Those members, paid-up or otherwise, could lose an opportunity, and I'm sure that's not the spirit of Brisky.

• Like 3