Octavia 3 or Superb

Last month I drove both relatively close together and for me the Superb was the better car. The cabin was a nicer place to be and felt much better built. The Octavia III felt cheap and I didn't like the electric steering.

Does not the Superb also have some electronic in the steering?

By "better car" you meant that it drivers better, it is quitter, etc?

The Superb has hydraulic assisted steering. Its smoother and feels more connected to the wheels. I like heavier steering, the O3 was too light :)

While the Octavia III is a huge step in quietness over the MKII (I found them both about the same in terms of road noise), the overall ride, smoothness and comfort was better in the Superb.

The Superb has hydraulic assisted steering. Its smoother and feels more connected to the wheels. I like heavier steering, the O3 was too light :)

While the Octavia III is a huge step in quietness over the MKII (I found them both about the same in terms of road noise), the overall ride, smoothness and comfort was better in the Superb.

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering about ride quality because the Octy (depends on the trim) must have this multi-link on the back and it should rides betters than torsion beam. However the Superb also has multi-link on the back and i was just wondering which one is better in terms of ride quiality

Sometimes you just have to stop rationalising everything and go with your heart. Both cars are good.

We chose the Superb over the Octy simply that was the car we wanted sitting on our drive.

For us, it was the right decision. Incidentally, I wondered if it was going to be too big, having come from an Octy 2. Truth is, the size is not an issue.

Hi,

If you have driven both with one drives better then? I think that yours with 1.8 TSI Octy should have multi-link suspension on the back. What it is like compared to the Superb one?

Hard to say on the handling side - my Octavia 3 is without sport suspension, but it feels firm enough (cant wait to try summer tires on 17"). Would like a little stiffer suspension if you ask me, but I hopped into Octavia from Mazda 3 GT Aero which is a little stiffer compared to most everyday cars (on 17" summer tires I have driven it pretty hard - same friend told me he would never do those corners on Audi A6 (his previous car before Superb) nor in Superb). Compared to standard Superb 2 it felt about the same on corners, but to be honest I did not felt as comfortable in Superb while doing so (feeling over all, heavier body makes you want to take it more easy). As far as the electric steering goes I immediately went into individual and set the steering to sport (I ordered the "selector"). This gives me nice firm steering (I like harder steering) while driving and while going slow in parking situations it is pretty light. Superb had a little harder steering - if I remember correct (some time has already passed). In conclusion if you like more sporty ride, then get sport pack with 17" wheels (this matters a lot on firm ride) or VRS.

As far as road noise goes, they are about the same, but for me they were both quieter compared to Mazda and Honda. Compared to Mazda 3 GT Aero they are like day and night difference. I have driven 2.0 biturbo diesel Jaguar - that was like taking a nap in nightly woods alone in the dark. So for conclusion Skoda has a long way to go as far as road noise goes compared to Jag, but for mid class cars they are both fantastic.

//Edit

Take the cars on a road for hour or two - this will help you out a lot. Remember to take them to the highway as well!

Edited by conn

Sometimes you just have to stop rationalising everything and go with your heart. Both cars are good.

We chose the Superb over the Octy simply that was the car we wanted sitting on our drive.

For us, it was the right decision. Incidentally, I wondered if it was going to be too big, having come from an Octy 2. Truth is, the size is not an issue.

True about the size, but i what about the performance. The Octy is almost 200kg lighter and with load the overtake must be more easier with Octy.

Hard to say on the handling side - my Octavia 3 is without sport suspension, but it feels firm enough (cant wait to try summer tires on 17"). Would like a little stiffer suspension if you ask me, but I hopped into Octavia from Mazda 3 GT Aero which is a little stiffer compared to most everyday cars (on 17" summer tires I have driven it pretty hard - same friend told me he would never do those corners on Audi A6 (his previous car before Superb) nor in Superb). Compared to standard Superb 2 it felt about the same on corners, but to be honest I did not felt as comfortable in Superb while doing so (feeling over all, heavier body makes you want to take it more easy). As far as the electric steering goes I immediately went into individual and set the steering to sport (I ordered the "selector"). This gives me nice firm steering (I like harder steering) while driving and while going slow in parking situations it is pretty light. Superb had a little harder steering - if I remember correct (some time has already passed). In conclusion if you like more sporty ride, then get sport pack with 17" wheels (this matters a lot on firm ride) or VRS.

As far as road noise goes, they are about the same, but for me they were both quieter compared to Mazda and Honda. Compared to Mazda 3 GT Aero they are like day and night difference. I have driven 2.0 biturbo diesel Jaguar - that was like taking a nap in nightly woods alone in the dark. So for conclusion Skoda has a long way to go as far as road noise goes compared to Jag, but for mid class cars they are both fantastic.

//Edit

Take the cars on a road for hour or two - this will help you out a lot. Remember to take them to the highway as well!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do the testing on the highway, because this is what i will do most, so this is important to me. I will skip the sport suspension, because our roads are not the smooth.

One more reminder, if you are going Octavia 3 and like harder steering, then definitely order "Drive Mode Select", so you can select "sport steering" while other parts are on "Eco" or "Normal" (costed 100.- EUR for me). Plus don't be surprised how light the steering is at very low speed or just standing still. The hardness kicks in smoothly while starting going faster or something.

So for conclusion Skoda has a long way to go as far as road noise goes compared to Jag, but for mid class cars they are both fantastic.

I should hope the Jag is better! Otherwise id be straight round to their designers (isnt Ian Callum one of them), asking them what they think they are up to!!

One more reminder, if you are going Octavia 3 and like harder steering, then definitely order "Drive Mode Select", so you can select "sport steering" while other parts are on "Eco" or "Normal" (costed 100.- EUR for me). Plus don't be surprised how light the steering is at very low speed or just standing still. The hardness kicks in smoothly while starting going faster or something.

I test drove the Mk II a few years back. The steering was really annoying while manouevring. Far too stiff. The Mk III is fantastic, and as ive got the drive mode selector on the Elegance (when it gets shipped from Emden), i now get the best of both worlds. Lets me play about a bit.

Plus with 150hp under my bonnet, I cant wait until a chav in his souped up Clio or Fiesta pulls up alongside me at the lights :devil:  :rofl:  :angel:

Edited by JungleJames

Plus with 150hp under my bonnet, I cant wait until a chav in his souped up Clio or Fiesta pulls up alongside me at the lights :devil:  :rofl:  :angel:

1.8 TSI has 180HP and I got to say that at 2000-3500 RPMs it pulls really nice - DSG shifts tick in piew piew piew and you are cruising on desired speed. Can't wait until I have done ~10000 km or so, spring to pop 225mm 17" summer tires and hit the revs to 6k to feel the full power of the middle class black sleeper (even got the steering wheel shifters as well for manual shifting rrrRRRRRrrrrrrrr).

As you said 150HP I presume it will be 2.0 diesel - that 320 Nm should work really nice in that range aswell. Happy waiting, mate :-)

PS! When are you going to drive it? Answer: Not today - not today ;-)

True about the size, but i what about the performance. The Octy is almost 200kg lighter and with load the overtake must be more easier with Octy.

Yes, I know, but the point being made was that choosing a car is not all about performance, size, spec and so on.

Sometimes there is an intangible attraction to one vehicle over another that outweighs comparative performance/spec.

One should not be afraid to go with the heart rather than the head.

• Like 1

Yep, the 1.8TSI I can imagine is pretty rapid. I dont need the power though. Only went for the 2.0TDI (yep you were right) because Im not convinced the 1.6 was as good as my current Ford (1.6 petrol), despite what the figures say. It took a while to rev the engine up to 2000rpm to get benefit of the turbo. So to get any decent acceleration you have to keep it in a low gear and rev it silly. Hardly good for fuel economy.

Sorry, the Superb 2, including the new face-lift version does NOT have hydraulic steering....

Quote from  BROCHURE:- "Direct rack & pinion steering with electromechanical speed dependent power steering."

Given that I own a Superb & also drive my partners Octy 2 vRS, I can tell you that the Octy's electric power-steering is good, but with a constant effort at all speeds & without the "feel" that a good hydraulic system provides, ( I also own a Mk 3 Mondeo, much nicer to steer....)

The Superb is very light to drive when parking or at low speeds, but as speed rises weights-up, better than the Octy 2 in my opinion.

The variable ratio steering in the Octy 3 should feel better, but I was not so impressed. I'm still undecided re. my next car, I'm not sure that any Octy 3 will provide the driving experience that I want, but my needs are probably different than most!

HTH, DC. 

I Could not decide on which to buy. The Suburb is not that much bigger on paper but feels a lot bigger to drive and park.  The superb is about 200kg heavier too. Lower mpg and more car tax.

The MkIII has a sportier feel and is a much more nimble car. I needed one for work and in the end bought a MK III.

the estate boot is massive and only 30L smaller than the boot in the Superb.

The MKIII is based on  the latest VAG platform so everything on the car is the latest technology.

I am getting 56/57  true mpg on the last two fills. That is with a boot full of tools too. Running late today I drove about 50 miles on a dual carriageway / A-roads VERY fast and still got 52mpg. 

I think if you want a car for sundays only  then get a Superb, for the rest of the week The MKIII wins hands down.

Pete

I had a long debate over this one.  It's a tough choice. I was torn between a 2.0 (170) superb elegance and a diesel VRS Octavia. Test drove them both and wanted both.  The superb was certainly the most comfortable and the quality of the interior really was a cut above the Octavia with lots of seat padding on those exquisite leather arm chair replicas, more space and higher quality fittings.  Everything was just more plush and luxurious. The ride was brilliant as a passenger but the drive did feel a little soft and bland and I didn't really feel connected to the car even when I was driving it over enthusiastically.

The octy wasn't so plush and didn't feel in the same league, especially for the passenger.  However, it is by far the better drivers car. I have the VRS coming in a few weeks as I think the serene ride of the superb may have become a little dull after a while. The octy won because selfish me cares more about my own happiness than that of my passengers. 

Another consideration was the higher PCP payments on the superb due to a significantly lower GMV figure. Rumour has it that significant improvements will be made to the superb in the next year or two to meet Skoda's desire to keep the superb a cut above the Octavia (in my opinion this has always been the case prior to this new version). 

It was a really tough choice but I hope I made the right one.

I had a long debate over this one.  It's a tough choice. I was torn between a 2.0 (170) superb elegance and a diesel VRS Octavia. Test drove them both and wanted both.  The superb was certainly the most comfortable and the quality of the interior really was a cut above the Octavia with lots of seat padding on those exquisite leather arm chair replicas, more space and higher quality fittings.  Everything was just more plush and luxurious. The ride was brilliant as a passenger but the drive did feel a little soft and bland and I didn't really feel connected to the car even when I was driving it over enthusiastically.

The octy wasn't so plush and didn't feel in the same league, especially for the passenger.  However, it is by far the better drivers car. I have the VRS coming in a few weeks as I think the serene ride of the superb may have become a little dull after a while. The octy won because selfish me cares more about my own happiness than that of my passengers. 

Another consideration was the higher PCP payments on the superb due to a significantly lower GMV figure. Rumour has it that significant improvements will be made to the superb in the next year or two to meet Skoda's desire to keep the superb a cut above the Octavia (in my opinion this has always been the case prior to this new version). 

I can see how you were thinking & I also hope that you made the right choice!

I'm not concerned about PCP payments since we actually own our cars & I've not really considered financing the next one, unless the 0% deal is still on when we decide to order a new car.

FWIW my "drivers car" is my Mondeo wagon, 'cos it steers & handles better than both our Skodas + the 3.0 litre V6  lump has it's own charms, no turbo-torque of course, but still good power & torque + the smooth performance that's so much "nicer" than the 4-cylinder units in our Skodas.

We are not too concerned with running costs,  we are both retired so all our driving is discretionary, & we seldom exceed 12/13k miles per year in total.

Both Skodas have the 2.0 litre TSi engine + 6-speed DSG autos, so even the Superb can pick-up it's skirts & fly if required. It's by far the car of choice for longer trips, driving down into Germany & Austria this summer was more relaxing then her vRS & more economical than the Ford.

It could be improved upon, with the MQB platform electronics, & when the next version is released (2016?) it could be a tempting purchase for our old(er...) age.

Her vRS is quicker, less weight & about 8 bhp more than my Superb, (must buy it a free-flow air filter soon), & feels like a more nimble car on the twisties, but the ride is too firm for us on most British roads, + far too much road noise. Both cars are nice in Germany though, 'cos they enjoy much better engineered back-roads with quiet road surfaces than we seem to have in the UK.  

For now, a petrol vRS Octy 3 is almost a replacement for my Mondeo, it's nearly big enough in the back & if specified with the right toys nearly as nice as my Ghia X Ford.

Herself is not yet convinced though, she does like her "GTi Golf with a boot" & feels that Skoda need to be making the new Octavia for another few months before we order one. Her thinking is based on her work experiences within the industry in Fleet Sales & Product Forecasting, better to let the early production problems sort themselves out before spending real money!

She may well have a point, the recent changes in vRS specifications / option availability seem to indicate that Skoda can't make the cars that their customers want, or Skoda UK can't decide what the UK customer could / should have!

I think that we are convincing ourselves that we should enjoy our mini fleet for a while & revisit our car-buying plans in spring '14!  

Enjoy whatever you buy it's a free world out there & you have freedom of choice!

DC

Hello skovirg,

Can you compare the ride quality of the both Superb and Octy III? Which one is better on ruff surfaces? Which Octy you drove, the one with multi-link or the one with torsion beam?

The superb was loads better for a passenger in front or at the back.  I drove and was driven in the passenger seat and the rear seat of a superb 170 elegance and a demonstrator vRS diesel (so multi-link right?).  Passengers were far better catered for in the superb and in the rear seat it was loads better. More room and more comfort.  It really was a cut above the Octavia in terms of quality.  Road noise was far less, insulation from the wind was better and the suspension took all of the lumps and bumps off the rough surfaces.  If I were buying to be a passenger I'd have the superb any day but as a driver, I want to feel the connection that was sadly lacking in the superb.  If the superb could engage me as a driver I wouldn't even look at the Octavia as it would be perfect.

I'm in danger of talking myself out of the VRS so I'll stop right now...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice

The superb was loads better for a passenger in front or at the back.  I drove and was driven in the passenger seat and the rear seat of a superb 170 elegance and a demonstrator vRS diesel (so multi-link right?).  Passengers were far better catered for in the superb and in the rear seat it was loads better. More room and more comfort.  It really was a cut above the Octavia in terms of quality.  Road noise was far less, insulation from the wind was better and the suspension took all of the lumps and bumps off the rough surfaces.  If I were buying to be a passenger I'd have the superb any day but as a driver, I want to feel the connection that was sadly lacking in the superb.  If the superb could engage me as a driver I wouldn't even look at the Octavia as it would be perfect.

I'm in danger of talking myself out of the VRS so I'll stop right now...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice...I did make the correct choice

What was that? You want a Superb??

What was that? You want a Superb??

Ha ha. No, an Octavia it is.  I saw a superb and an Octavia next to each other yesterday and I'm happy with my choice, honest, I really am.   What's that saying, you've made your bed....

Bit late to change my mind now, mine is build week 49 which is now so it may even have been built. Fingers crossed anyway. I'm expecting it just after or just before Christmas.  Happy days, the wait is nearly over.