octavia vrs xenon problem

Experts,

Need your suggestion for the headlights issue i'm seeing on my vrs. symptoms are as follows

* Either one of the lamps get switched on

* If i turn on and off the headlight switch, neither will work

* crank the engine again, either one or none of the two lights up. if i'm lucky both will work fine

* noticed recently that even my high beams have this issue albeit that is rare.

have the fault code upon scan,

Address 29: Left Light Labels: 1U0-941-651-29.lbl

Part No: 1U0 941 651

Component: EVG GDL + AutoLWR 0002

Coding: 00005

Shop #: WSC 73430

VCID: F0E18154B033DE9851C

2 Faults Found:

01346 - Wire to igniter Unit

16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

01345 - Ignition Module for HID Headlamp (N195)

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 39: Right Light Labels: 1U0-941-651-39.lbl

Part No: 1U0 941 651

Component: EVG GDL + AutoLWR 0002

Coding: 00005

Shop #: WSC 73430

VCID: F0E18154B033DE9851C

3 Faults Found:

01345 - Ignition Module for HID Headlamp (N195)

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

01346 - Wire to igniter Unit

16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

01533 - Terminal 56 (High Beams)

32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

If either one of them was consistently working i could swap the ballast/ignitor to begin with. how do i trouble shoot ? i want to make sure everything else is fine before i replace anything because if it costs a bomb in uk to replace, it costs a moon in india

Ok, "Xenons" are more correctly called "plasma discharge lights" in this context. Making them work correctly is dependant on having a stable voltage of at least 12v across the units.

Accordingly this may not work as not being the problem, but at least it's cheap to free.

Check that you've got over 14v across the battery engine running, and clean up the headlight Earth connectors.

Ok, "Xenons" are more correctly called "plasma discharge lights" in this context. Making them work correctly is dependant on having a stable voltage of at least 12v across the units.

Accordingly this may not work as not being the problem, but at least it's cheap to free.

Check that you've got over 14v across the battery engine running, and clean up the headlight Earth connectors.

+1 on the earth connection.

Thanks folks. The previous owner had the wiring damaged by the rats which makes a strong case to have it checked. i will update this space on what happens.

Any progress on this front? I had the same issue on my Left Light of my L&K Octavia MK1. I interchanged the ballasts, resulting in left light working and right not working. Thus replaced my ballast with a non OEM D2S ballast. Everything worked fine for a while but later the xenon bulb started flickering on the replaced ballast side. I replaced the D2S bulbs and its working fine now except the other side has now started flickering. Quite annoying issue, now I guess I will have to replace bulb and ballast of the other side as well.

PS - I had the same fault codes as shown on above post.

Edited by Aby