1.6 tdi 105 bhp

Fuel thirsty in town, uses about 15% more fuel than an Octavia 1.9TDI110 it replaced, even though paper fuel economy numbers pretend the 2012 1.6CR105 Roomster should be using 15% less fuel in town than the 2002 Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDI110. Also, there were frequent DPF exhaust temp sensor failures over entire range of VAG cars fitted with this engine, including mine after just 8k miles, fixed under warranty. Not sure if they addressed the issue now, but worth checking error codes with VCDS as emissions light only comes 1k-2k miles after the sensor repeatedly logged fault.

Out of town it is a very good engine, and given Roomster shape it is quite efficient at close to full load / top speed, though at 105bhp it is hardly a rocket.

One thing worth mentioning is the very long gearbox you get with this engine, in 5th it is 33mph/1000rpm or so. Again, for motorway cruising it is geared perfectly, for country roads best to stay in 4th unless you are on a straight/downhill. Another thing is that there is a built in speed limiter set to 190km/h/118mph, which you can easily max out with stock power (on autobahn). In case of power upgrades/chips it is worth finding one that increases/removes this limit.

I agree with dieselV6.

Out of town it's a nice engine and seems to like A roads at around 50 -60 mph. I recently drove 200 miles round trip on A roads and it returned 69 mpg. Plenty of smooth power for a little car.

If you do lots of town driving the dpf regen can be a pain in the backside. The car turns into a tractor on redbull and it stinks. Dealer says it is normal due to the heat required to do a regen. Also had the temp sensor die at around 10k.

Mine is three years old in October and it's been a great car. I might part ex or keep it for a few more years as it's been great. I am tempted with a Superb or a passat estate.

I came to the 1.6 90 bhp, after a very happy experience with the 1.9PD engine, in January and still wonder whether I have done the right thing. I have driven a 1.6 105BHP Seat for two years and can share some thoughts.

With this engine you have to keep the revs up. If you are in town in a 30 MPH zone. After a dual carriageway stretch, you'll need to be in third, and often will need to change down, as soon as you hit the 30 MPH sign.

5th gear,unless on motorways at 70 MPH, won't be used much.

You need to be running every two to three days in 4th at 2000 RPM for 10 minutes unbroken to keep the DPF clean otherwise you'll soon be idling at 1000 RPM not a nice quiet 800 RPM, as advised by the Skoda leaflets.

Once you accept and get used to this you'll be fine and it will be no trouble. The 1.9 was so much more convenient. These are, of course only my findings, other people may disagree. If so, no probs.

It will be the same engine with the same advice needed, I suspect. Unless of course it is the same engine with the stop start which I have in the Seat Altea, a really nice and reliable system provided you've been driving it correctly, and quieter than the 90BHP in the Roomster. Good for about 53 MPG in realistic driving conditions. The Roomster with no stop start easily does 56MPG, if treated right.

I got the Roomster SE TSI 86ps and just done a journey down to Somerset Castle Cary and roving about on country Somerset country roads, TOTAL MILAGE 470 that included juourney down on the A303 which was a nightmare stop go all the way down but clear run back to Kent and managed 47MPG which I thought was good

It is good. I have a suspicion that my diesel days may be coming to an end after more years than I care to remember. To be honest, I'm just about OK with the DPF and my mileage is just about high enough, but I suspect petrol would be easier and more convenient to manage.

I have read this thread with interest I have 90 BHP Roomster 1.6 with DPF I do 27 miles to work same return, no problems at all I mainly drive on A roads and Motorway approx 54 MPG, I 'potter' around at weekend stores etc. I love the performance and MPG if I was around town I would have petrol car not Diesel due to possible DPF problems that are well documented.

The Roomster is my 4th DPF equipped car. I've never had the light go on. I must be doing something right with my driving, but to be honest I'm just getting a bit tired of always needing to be aware of the runs I have done. Perhaps I'm just getting old or I'm also aware that my daughters are about to start driving and my care routine may "go out the window" as they learn!

The Roomster is my 4th DPF equipped car. I've never had the light go on. I must be doing something right with my driving, but to be honest I'm just getting a bit tired of always needing to be aware of the runs I have done. Perhaps I'm just getting old or I'm also aware that my daughters are about to start driving and my care routine may "go out the window" as they learn!

Great comment as I say if just driving around town Petrol best taking in account possible issues with DPF plus premium price to purchase diesel.

A little story some may of may not be interested in a neighbour purchased a DPF Octavia used car he is 70 plus age he travels a couples of miles a day he was warned by dealer about DPF possible issues due to his mileage etc, however he has always had diesels ( as he loves to tell you they were all non DPF ) you guessed it back to dealers to be dealt with due to issues. A word of caution.

Hi, I have a 90bhp 1.6tdi Roomster and get up to 64mpg on a run, average around 45-55mpg normal use. Again have done 5000 miles in it so far this year and had no DPF issues, I am aware of the odd passive re-gen but I have tried to maintain a driving style explained on this forum about how to get the best out of CR diesels i.e. keeping it in lower gears and the revs up and not to let the engine labour and this eems to do the trick.

It's not a good engine for short runs where mpg is mid 30's, only once warmed up does the mpg increase.

I've got the 1.6 in a Golf estate DSG and I only notice the regen when the fuel consumption dives down for 15 mins or so (down to 43 against 53mpg). I don't drive in a "special" way, just the same whenever and it's now done 20k with no issues. I also had concerns about the DPF but have found that my concerns have been unfounded, I reckon after a shaky start they've got them pretty much sorted. Apart from pootling around town my normal drive is a 20 mile commute consisting of 9 miles country /dual carriageway and 11 mile into a city... I think it's been blown out of all proportion for most drivers...

Going back to the 1.6, I converted from a 1.9TDi Roomster and whilst I won't be choosing the DSG option again as it's just not economical enough I'd have no hesitation in specifying the engine in the next car we get in a year and a half's time, which is likely to be a Roomster again!

Edited by The PM