Octy -0 Antifreeze Drum -1

Hi

The situation is I have just received an estimate and it totals £807. Only £26 of this was for a door rubbing strip the rest was repair,paint,blend into bonnet and n/s door plus labour and vat.

My union advised me to write to the Company director above the previous one with the photos and the estimate. I'm now waiting his response as I have stated to him that they are liable.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Hope it works out for you stormchaser - IMHO no way you should foot bill if you are parked correctly and in an area where you have for some time without issue.

With regards the H&S issues - there's a lot of assuming going on on this thread. People jumping to conclusions about the force used to move the drum and the injury it would have caused, also assuming that a person would react similarly to a stationary vehicle!  

With regards the H&S issues - there's a lot of assuming going on on this thread. People jumping to conclusions about the force used to move the drum and the injury it would have caused, also assuming that a person would react similarly to a stationary vehicle!  

No no no.

You have something stacked at or above head height, which is not secured and could obviously fall on someone and does have a reasonable amount of mass.  Saying it probably wouldn't hurt that much, probably wouldn't fall over that easily or someone would see it and get out of the way is madness.

I've seen people get hurt because they assume it will be OK, or they have always done it that way.

• Like 1

Ignoring the damage to the car it is very much a health and safety issue, if you can drive there you must be able to walk there. What if the drum fell on someone rather than the car. The damage to the car is evidence of the force involved.

Either the drums should not have stacked like that or no one should have been able to get there.

Assuming the drums are empty (since they fell over): 

The drum would fall over you, you would possibly trip and fall, curse, get up, brush off your clothes and continue on your way after kicking the drum to the side while uttering a nice little collection of expletives. 

Assuming the drums are empty (since they fell over): 

The drum would fall over you, you would possibly trip and fall, curse, get up, brush off your clothes and continue on your way after kicking the drum to the side while uttering a nice little collection of expletives. 

I give up!

As of today I haven't had a response from the Company director about this :(

It's now a month since it happened.

My options

1) Phone him and ask wtf is going on?

2) Just let my insurance company take up the claim with them?

3) Don't bother with director and go through insurance ?

What do you guys reckon?

I'm sick of looking at my car like this :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

I've received a letter from my employers insurance dept(waited 5 weeks).

They are saying I shouldn't have parked there knowing it's a hazard and I should of reported it previously. So they are not interested.

I have contacted my insurance company now and my legal cover is being used. I have spoken with the solicitor about it all and forwarded all the photos,estimate and this company letter.So it's still a waiting game :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

I meant any memos or signs on parking? Instructions not to stack drums?

Oops sorry. There is still no signage changes anywhere. The drums have been collected recently. There are 4 more out there but are not stacked on top of each other anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

• 5 weeks later...

An update at long last.

A Insurance assessor came out last week to look at the damage. He took photos etc. I've received a letter from him yesterday saying I can now book my car in for repair. I'm using my chosen bodyshop for this as he restores/repairs Ferraris and Lambos. Truly a professional bodyshop. It's booked in for September 30th for 3 days. I don't have a loan car but it doesn't matter I'm on holiday this week.

Will keep you posted :)