Widespread small rust flecks on paint: Is there a solution?

Hello,

I have noticed hundreds of small rust flecks on the paint of my 2004 Fabia (see photo). The flecks are on average about 2mm in diameter and are only on the surface of the paint--they can be removed with a fingernail. When scraped off, the paint appears to be intact and not damaged.

After a good wash, the flecks are still there. I've heard that polishing with wax will remove them, but that doesn't seem to be working in this case.

Does anyone know of a practical way of removing these flecks? Is there special cleaning solution designed for this? I'd like to get this under control before the paint is damaged.

post-96220-0-95458300-1372016275_thumb.jpg

Guest BigJase88

Yup detailing clay will get them off!

There looks to be loads of tar spots on it too

Just lubricate the clay with water (and do the whole car)

Then polish afterwards! Should come up like new

Or, has some one been using an angle grinder near the car? If so you might find pitting due to them melting into the paint.

• Like 3

I had this on a previous car as previous owner took an angle grinder to some massive brakes to get them to fit under 15s.

I would use Iron-X then a clay bar. Mine was just on the wing, it was hard work removing them it took me longer to clay the contaminated wing then it did the whole car.

Iron X should make the job easier though as it will loosen them.

A good polish afterwards and it should look like new. My paint work was not damaged just some marring from the clay bar.

I sold the car after 8 weeks anyway was a real shed.

The very bottom edge of your door appears to have a lot of corrosion, suggesting previous paintwork has been carried out. I would go with either an angle grinder or moisture trapped under the paint. Without seeing the rest of the car its a little difficult.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Money Hungry, there doesn't actually seem to be any corrosion on the door -- I think the photo just gives a very bad impression. The car was a company car (one of hundreds) and so I'm certain that it hasn't been used on the track -- besisdes it's definitely too underpowered!

Does anyone have any tips for the claying? Is there anything I should watch out for or avoid? I would like to avoid mistakes that might ruin the paint.

wash the car first and dry . Most claybar kits come with a lubricant , spray this on the panel, then work the bar in to the lubricant making sure that you keep turning the bar as it becomes contaminated. you,ll. see the flecks appear on the bar. dont let the area youre working on become dry or the bar will start to stick to the bodywork.. .Dont rush, when you are happy with it you can polish straight over the area with a good quality wax and buff off with a microfibre cloth.. I use autoglym, but there are lots of good claykits out there.

If youre a bit aprehensive. a decent valeter can "clay"