Gearbox goes bang - fabia vrs

Hi Guys

While driving back from london yesterday my gearbox decided it would go bang and spit all the oil over the road.

Could not enagage any gears so limped to the service station and the got towed home.

Going to get under the car tonight and have a proper look but I suspect the box is now done and I will need a new/recon unit.

Where am a best looking for one? I have read a few threads on here with similar issues but can't seem to find where I can buy a recon unit if I do need a new one.

I'm I right in thinking that if I get the gearbox reconned or replace that I will need a new clutch etc too?

I see from another thread that people are paying approx £1200 for this sort of job. Is this about right?

The car is a 54 plate vrs with 125000 miles on it with almost FSH. Have been debating just selling it with broken box. What sort money do you think I could recoup just selling as is?

Thanks in advance

You'd be better breaking it than selling it as it is I'd have though.

A second hand box went dirt cheap on here recently. Try and find another one and get it fitted.

Ebay 261222974015 from an 06 with 54k. 30 day warrenty.

£410 i think (im on my phone).

As someone has already said one went on here like 3 weeks ago for like £100. If id seen it i would have had that in a flash. It was the one i wanted aswell. It was the short version.

Hey guys. I got under the car when I got home to find this.

9128775018_8f19b6b5b4.jpg

2013-06-24 18.26.45 by mattrsa, on Flickr

and this

9128777582_b33f78d317.jpg

2013-06-24 18.25.18 by mattrsa, on Flickr

I presume there should be a something bolted to the end of this. Any ideas why this might have happend?

Do you think it might be salvageable if I find the part that should go on the end and fill it up with gearbox oil? Probably clutching at straws but I can live in hope

• 1 month later...

Just to update everyone on this in case people come across this thread

Managed to source a 2nd hand gearbox from charles trent for £350 with a years warrenty. Then had to fork out for a new dual mass clutch and flywheel and have them all fitted at the local garage

Total garage bill was £914 plus the £350 I had to pay for the 2nd hand box.

Bloody expensive repair bill. Fingers crossed I get a good few years trouble free out the vrs now!

£914 for a dual mass and clutch plus fitting. That seems very steep! That's like £550 in labour.

Correct me if I've read it wrong.

I assume that also includes the fitting of a gearbox too..