FWD to AWD conversion

Hello

I own Skoda Octavia I 1.8T and soon, maybe Octavia 1.8T vRS.

Is that possible to make it AWD? For example to swap it from 1.8 4x4 turbo model?

Regards,

Alexander

Edited by Verticalx

Hello

I own Skoda Octavia I 1.8T and soon, maybe Octavia 1.8T vRS.

Is that possible to make it AWD? For example to swap it from 1.8 4x4 turbo model?

Regards,

Alexander

The 4x4 has a totally different rear floor pan and suspension to the vrs, you're better off buying a 4x4 1.8t and turning it into a vrs replica

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Best off as already said turning the 4x4 into a vrs rep, i think the engines use the same turbo so tuning wise are the same. Or buy a wrc model

Sent from my iPhone 4s

WRC model you mean limited edition which was produced only of 100?

Were they AWD?

I thought you just got a white VRS with some very expensive stickers, xenons, heated seats? and a little plate with the number on it.

It was.

There is no 4x4 VRS Octavia.  Only the cars that competed in the World Rally Championship, not the WRC limited edition model, which was sold to enthusiasts.

You need to either:

Buy a 1.8t 4x4 model and take everything off a VRS to make it look like a VRS, or

Fit all the 4x4 running gear to the back of a VRS, which a fair amount of work but completely possible.

THe first option is easier.

• Like 1

Fit all the 4x4 running gear to the back of a VRS, which a fair amount of work but completely possible.

In order to get an idea of what Bossfox considers to be a "fair amount of work" you need to read his Citigo build thread.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It was.

There is no 4x4 VRS Octavia.  Only the cars that competed in the World Rally Championship, not the WRC limited edition model, which was sold to enthusiasts.

You need to either:

Buy a 1.8t 4x4 model and take everything off a VRS to make it look like a VRS, or

THe first option is easier.

I am also interested in doing a AWD conversion for my vRS. Unfortunately, the 4x4 Octy was not sold in India.

We do have the AWD Yeti though, will it be possible to use parts from that car?

I read your thread on the Citigo 4x4 conversion, it was damn cool.

I presume an Octy conversion would be simpler right?

I am also interested in doing a AWD conversion for my vRS. Unfortunately, the 4x4 Octy was not sold in India.

Yes, it's just not quite as simple.

But far, far easier than a Citigo! :D

Ideally you want a cheap Yeti that's been crashed so you can get all the parts you need.

Because to buy the parts would probably be too expensive as Yeti is maximum of 4 years old so possibly not many used parts available.

Alternatively you could import the Octavia 4x4 parts from another country?

That would probably be my choice.  But not sure on your import tax etc...

Was the VW Golf mk4 4x4 sold in India since that will have the right floorpan (well the Octy has a longer boot section, but that's not such an issue as being a different width would). I think the Octavia has a different rear floorpan to the Yeti (Yeti is probably more similar to the Skoda Laura). 

I would not be using the word "simpler"

A huge amount of work to get a floorpan and running gear from a 4x4  and install in a none 4x4 Octavia

Work that most folks would not even entertain.

I would be more concerned with everything lining up and the car not crabbing across the road.

I am sure there are folks out there with the tools and know how.

But I ask why do it?

If you don't have access the the stuff and tools etc then you are going to be spending more than getting the actual 4x4 imported and or using a 4x4 in the first place.

As you need to get the parts from a 4x4 why not just use the 4x4 and transfer the bumpers and interior from the VRS and job done.

I also think the 4x4  yeti will be different to the  Octavia and typical golf/Audi A3/ Seat Leon chassis the Octavia shares

Also do you really need a 4x4 do you drive in a way that is going get the benefit from a 4x4.

If it is just a project to say go against the grain and do it the hard way and because you have funds and just to say i did it then fair game..... else I would not even entertain it

just my 2 pence worth

• Like 1

Yes, it's just not quite as simple.

But far, far easier than a Citigo! :D

Ideally you want a cheap Yeti that's been crashed so you can get all the parts you need.

Because to buy the parts would probably be too expensive as Yeti is maximum of 4 years old so possibly not many used parts available.

Alternatively you could import the Octavia 4x4 parts from another country?

That would probably be my choice.  But not sure on your import tax etc...

Getting parts from a scrapped Yeti will be far far cheaper than any other option.

but are the parts the same? from the Yeti and the 4x4 Octy?

Will the amount of work be the same if I import the 4x4 Octy parts or if I procure Yeti parts.

My car currently has the AUM 1.8T 20V engine and is a manual transmission.

I presume I will need to mate the entire transmission [front and rear] with the original engine.

With the 4x4 Octy, all the parts will be bolt on, except that i'll have to fabricate a read differential mounting point right?

and then use 4x4 suspension on it.

Was the VW Golf mk4 4x4 sold in India since that will have the right floorpan (well the Octy has a longer boot section, but that's not such an issue as being a different width would). I think the Octavia has a different rear floorpan to the Yeti (Yeti is probably more similar to the Skoda Laura). 

The only 4x4 VAG vehicles sold in India as far as i know are the

Skoda Yeti

Audi Q series SUVs

Audi Quattro vehicles [A4 Quattro].

I would not be using the word "simpler"

A huge amount of work to get a floorpan and running gear from a 4x4  and install in a none 4x4 Octavia

Work that most folks would not even entertain.

I would be more concerned with everything lining up and the car not crabbing across the road.

I am sure there are folks out there with the tools and know how.

But I ask why do it?

If you don't have access the the stuff and tools etc then you are going to be spending more than getting the actual 4x4 imported and or using a 4x4 in the first place.

As you need to get the parts from a 4x4 why not just use the 4x4 and transfer the bumpers and interior from the VRS and job done.

I also think the 4x4  yeti will be different to the  Octavia and typical golf/Audi A3/ Seat Leon chassis the Octavia shares

Also do you really need a 4x4 do you drive in a way that is going get the benefit from a 4x4.

If it is just a project to say go against the grain and do it the hard way and because you have funds and just to say i did it then fair game..... else I would not even entertain it

just my 2 pence worth

I want it just as a project. don't really need it.

This is just something I want to do. My only issues are that the parts are not available in India, so I want to do as much research as I can before I decide to do it or not.

Importing Vehicles into India is really expensive. we've got like a 300% import duty on second hand cars.

The Yeti is Haldex gen 2, different mounting points to the gen 1 coupling unit

you'd need to fabricate a new rear floorplan with mounting points

Not sure what other complications using a gen 2 unit might have

I thought the Yeti used Gen IV haldex like the facelift mkII Octavia.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A 4x4 octavia can be had for £1200-1500 on the trader. You'll probably need to paint it though because they came in some manky colours! Whether its all worth it depends on the sort of power you intend to run. Which will effect the 4x4 running gear,big power all wheel drive is an expensive job...diffs,haldex controller,O2C gearbox made of cheese....!

If you spent that money ( or even half of it!) on mods to a std Vrs you'd still have a car that's plenty quick enough and to be honest a bit easier to live with day to day!

• Like 2