Yeti vs Evoque

kilted

Wow - didn't think I would get the response I did.

Getting slowly used to the Evoque but would still prefer my Monster back.

The Evoque certainly feels a well put together car (albeit with only 350 miles on the clock it is probably too early to notice any issues) but to me (my opinion only) it is bling over substance.

Also noticed that the diesel I have (SD4) is only getting 28.1 MPG whereas the Yeti with exactly the same driving was getting 35+ (not bad for a 1.8t petrol IMO).

The Evoque evokes disgust in me when i see how ugly and impractical it looks. It costs far too much and its interior quality does not merit 'Range Rover' as a description. It looks like a crushed frog. Has being fashionable ever rendered a bunch of drivers so ridiculous?

It is a badge snobbery success, puffed up by the disgraceful pomposity and grovelling of the same motoring press that at first ridiculed the Superb for its name and now says 'how appropriate'. The same idiots who pandered to the snobbery of owning a 'merc' or a BMW rather than the superior VW Phaeton. Their loss has been my gain. Your wisdom in choosing the excellent Yeti poops all over the nonsense of fashion victims such as the huge ugly 'Minis' and this terrible Emperor's new clothes 'Evoque' thing. But thewily old Brits always had a soft spot for good value well built Czech cars even in the bad old 'joke' days.

Wow! just wow!

Should I be worried that Switzerland has the highest gun ownership in the world? Lol

Seriously, it's your view and I respect that but it can't be good for you to keep that amount of bile and venom in you about a car (or any inanimate object for that matter.)

Oh and btw, the Phaeton is not better than a S class or 7 series. In my opinion of course :-)

Interesting the WhatCar comparison between the 2 models, in that the recent reports of how well the Yeti retains its value, and how far off manufacturer's claims the MPG of the Ewok is aren't reflected. I'd have thought those 2 figures, adjusted to what is known from real world experience would make the difference between the models a great deal more.

As mentioned above though, ETTO. Both are good cars from what I can see. Though the Ewok is a far more common sight on roads around here than the Yeti. And with the Ewoks selling so well, it can't be a bad thing for the UK's economy.

• Like 1

I guess some people will always buy a car for the badge. Personally I really like the Evoque but it was to expensive for me to justify the extra outlay over the Yeti.

For me the Yeti is far more than the sum of its parts and punches well above its weight given the cost/build/practicality and would have bought one regardless of who built it.

There are some people I work with who would not be seen dead in a car that was not a Mercedes/Audi/BMW/VW no matter how good a different  car was.

I'm sure MarieK will point out that the hearse (black) Yeti could well post some of the above to the final resting place after they have popped off their mortal coil :-)

My Yeti cost €45000 here in NL. Similar spec. on the Evoque was nearly € 70000.. I still think  bought the better car.

.... of course, if someone offers a swap with a top-of-the-line Range Rover I might consider.

Everyone loves a whinging and bitching session-but I always think a comparison should  keep some relationship with reality. Which evoke can I have for £24.5 k? What would an evoke with the same performance/equipment as my L&K cost? 

• Like 1

Hello Evoque owners. Not everyone over here is delusional. You have a stunning looking car, which I'd certainly prefer over a Yeti based on styling and image.

Value for money and practicality might go in favour of the Skoda, but it would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

• Like 3

Watch out, there are spies amongst us... :peek:

http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/evoque-v-yeti_topic3397_page1.html

Blimey! Some of those Evoque owners have their heads stuffed even further up their own a**e's than us (present and former) Yeti owners have :moon:  :giggle:

I really don't think the Yeti should be compared to an Evoque anyway, two very different cars IMO.

I tried the Evoque when I was looking to replace Yeti no1. They're similar sizes, similar performance - I'd say a comparison was fair. The Evoque is plusher inside, the Yeti is arguably better value. Both good.

I wonder if we could recommend our old colleague Offbeat ( :giggle: ) as a new member over there?! 

:o HOW COULD YOU WISH THAT HIM ON ANYONE  :wait:  :bandit:   :devil:

• Like 1

Well, i am also amazed at the fierce reactions to my honest opinion about what really seems to me to be a monster fashion puff of a car. I just get sick of people saying how wonderful the Evoque looks, when it is so impractical and to my eyes dreadfully ugy. Am i not entitled to voice a contrary opinion?

About 20 years ago we had a Skoda Favorit that cost us 7,000 dollars new. It was a simple car, designed from scratch in only two years, but it was a brilliant design. The rear view mirrors were large, the rear wiper covered most of the rear window, it was comfortable and in the 9 years we had it cost nearly nothing to service, had just 4 new tyres and one new exhaust pipe. I like a car that works well, does not go wrong all the time, and that looks like a car rather than a running shoe. Many fashionable designs today are of questionable practicality. Would you buy a vacuum cleaner that looks what you would think wonderful if it did not pick up dirt very well? My point is, we buy Skodas because they are well made, work well functionally, are good value and have rather smart classic lines, none of which in my opinion can be said to be true with the horrid ripoff Evoque. If you want a good rant, my friends, look back over the years at the stupid crap that was written about Skodas before people came to their senses. Some of you on this forum seem not to be aware of this. When the amazing Superb was launched every motoring correspondent said what a ridiculous pompous name it was for a car, completely ignorant of the historical use of that name on a Skoda car in the 1930's. And today they say how apt it is for such a fine car. All i' m saying is that these 'critics' are often rather uninformed and politically correct in their statements and buyers believe what they read. Wait a few years to see the outcome of ownership of this excuse for a 'Range Rover'. I have been heartily fed up with the stupid undeserved jokes about Skodas over the years. They have always been interesting, good value well designed cars. The company is the oldest in the whole VAG stable and one of the three oldest makes still in existence. Respect where it is due. Traditional Land Rovers are great at what they do, but the company is stooping low now to make a huge profit out of pure fashion. Form over substance. When everyone in the motoring press raves over it, with all their apparent political power to persuade people to buy cars, i think i am entitled to voice a different opinion rather strongly, when asked to compare these two cars? Thank god so many wise people like the Yeti so much. Let's make the comparison a few years down the line and see which car really was better?

My Yeti cost €45000 here in NL. Similar spec. on the Evoque was nearly € 70000.. I still think  bought the better car.

.... of course, if someone offers a swap with a top-of-the-line Range Rover I might consider.

If you like not being able to park in car parks because if you do you can't get the door open... not to mention the diesel did around 26mpg, servicing was around £600 per year and my one at a year old lost around £6-8k per year in depreciation. (Road tax in the highest band too!)

Been there, done that. :giggle:

Don't miss it.

i think i am entitled to voice a different opinion rather strongly

Of course, you are, and others are entitled to comment on it. I felt that your calling into question the character of Evoque owners was baseless and, frankly, both circular and a straw-man argument.

It's only a car.

If you cut me in half you'd probably find the Green Oval next to the Winged Arrow, however....................

The Evoke is nothing more than a dressed-up Freelander, and out of the two I'd have the Freelander. It has a better body, has a more functional style and is far more practical. Both of them are excellent off-road, but I've only driven the FL. However both a far more expensive than a Yeti.

The Evoke is not a comparison with the Yeti. It is designed to be sold in a totally different market, so I cannot see why the comparison is made. The FL is closer comparison.

Perhaps i exaggerated a bit, not really wanting to insult others' opinions, but I find the Provoke so unbelievably ugly and this whole fashion thing appalls me, especially as those of us who love Skodas took so much unfounded stick over the years. I have never really been so horrified by such a tasteless mockery of LR styling as this car is. I don't want to go on, but i do wonder how anyone could like such a squashed in roof. Bully for all of you with enough money to spend on a car, yes, no better than a Freelander.

Who?

eeeeemmmm you know off off  off  :wait: offside  :no: off@@@@  :no:, I give up the one who is not allowed here anymore. (I'm sure someone can remember his name if you can KEEP IT TO YOURSELF :rofl: )