Connecting IPhone to the Rapid Swing Radio

Help! I have a 5 day old Rapid 1.6 Elegance, all is very well apart from I can't connect my IPhone (4s) to the radio so i can control it from the steering wheel, I've used the standard iPhone USB cable & just get the message "Not Supported etc" I have bought an alleged compatible MMI Cable from Fleabay but this doesn't not have a USB connector. Do I have to connect directly to the back of the set which I'm loathed to do (don't want to start dismantling my new car quite yet!) OR can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct cable I need?

Thanks for any help offered

You need to use something like this - just search on eBay for ipod y cable.

You can buy a cable from Skoda and Seat but it's very, very expensive - I had Lee at Preston Motors get me a price for the cable from Skoda today as I was curious, came out at £62 inc VAT. If you want to buy the Skoda cable from your dealer the part number is 5JA 051 446G

This would probably do the trick if anyone wants a genuine cable on the cheap - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-SEAT-iPod-Cradle-Cable-Seat-Leon-1P9051785B-/360694410899

Damn. I just ordered another (different construction) Y cable for mine as the plastic clips around the iPod connector keep coming apart on the one I got from Ronnie. Never mind!

I might take the one I'm using now apart when the new one arrives and find out what's inside it, using an old iPod dock I have with an Apple USB cable + 3.5mm cable doesn't work, just says device not supported so there's either a difference in the wiring or the Y cables have some kind of simple micro controller in them to do some protocol magic ... hopefully it's a simple case of getting the pinouts from the Apple 30 pin connector right, as I intend to (long term) put a fixed installation iPod dock in place to make it less awkward to plug/unplug the thing.

Thanks to all who replied, I've followed Thecko's link and ordered one, should arrive today. Fingers crossed.

On a second note when I picked up my car (new) on the 5th July from Savilles in Kidderminster, not wanting to assume there was actually an engine under the bonnet I though I'd take a peak... In my previous 2 Skoda Octavia's there was a plastic cover over the top of the engine which wasn't there on this new Rapid, this made the engine bay look a little unfinished and untidy. Having questioned the garage they said they weren't sure if it should have one or not???? 

There is a cover available which they have ordered for me (free) so i'm not really complaining but I was wondering if yours all came with the cover fitted.

Once again, thanks for your help with the cable

Got my phone connected right away (iPhone 4s).

But now I can't access the other maxi-dot functions except for the phone...

Either press and hold the rocker switch or the button on the bottom of the same stalk and I think it will give you the other menu options.

• Like 1

It's a long press on the rocker switch, not sure if the direction matters but I always press & hold up. It's a couple of seconds to then select which other mode you want. I tend to leave it on MFD.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my phone connected right away (iPhone 4s).

But now I can't access the other maxi-dot functions except for the phone...

Yes, same with my phone (Samsung).

And bugged me all the way home,

• Like 1

It's a long press on the rocker switch, not sure if the direction matters but I always press & hold up. It's a couple of seconds to then select which other mode you want. I tend to leave it on MFD.

Thank you, had even resorted to trying to find the answer in the manual!!

Make yourself at home. :giggle:

You never know, if the Swing unit annoys him enough he might rip it out and fit an Amundsen for you ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

You never know, if the Swing unit annoys him enough he might rip it out and fit an Amundsen for you ;-)

Interestingly, as aftermarket fits the Columbus and Amundsen are only about £200 apart.

For a legit unit fitted I've been quoted £800 and £1000, but obviously that's with an ariel under the dash as the nav ariel on the roof is missing.

I should have specced the Amundsen.

Interestingly, as aftermarket fits the Columbus and Amundsen are only about £200 apart.

For a legit unit fitted I've been quoted £800 and £1000, but obviously that's with an ariel under the dash as the nav ariel on the roof is missing.

I should have specced the Amundsen.

Exactly why I bought a brodit clip ;-) My old TomTom One is starting to seem a little dated now but still works so no real need to replace it just yet.

Only £200 difference is surprising though. How much would the Amundsen have been if you'd added it to the order?

Only £200 difference is surprising though. How much would the Amundsen have been if you'd added it to the order?

£525 if I remember correctly.

Columbus not available on the Rapid, but costs £1,600 on the Yeti and Octy.

No brainer... if you had to aftermarket fit one or the other.

I have a brand new complete roof aerial assembly that I was going to fit to my Fabia, but seeing as I traded it in, I never got to try it as I had to order some cables to connect it which have only just arrived -it has connections for Telephone, GPS, FM and DAB. I'll probably be putting it in to my mum's Fabia as she is getting me to put in DAB. I can bring it along to the meet tomorrow if anyone wants a nose at part numbers and to see what is entailed in fitting etc -or possibly make me an offer ( shameless plug :angel: ) This would make upgrading a lot tidier for anyone who wants DAB and GPS

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I might take the one I'm using now apart when the new one arrives and find out what's inside it, using an old iPod dock I have with an Apple USB cable + 3.5mm cable doesn't work, hopefully it's a simple case of getting the pinouts from the Apple 30 pin connector right, as I intend to (long term) put a fixed installation iPod dock in place to make it less awkward to plug/unplug the thing.

How are you getting on with this? Any luck?

How are you getting on with this? Any luck?

The cable I ordered as a replacement doesn't work as it's a straight pin>pin mapping and the iPod's serial pins are TTL level...

I plugged the old cable in to a Linux machine and the cable presents as a well known USB serial device (which converts the TTL serial appropriately), had a look in to the apple connector pinout and to put iPod firmware in to the relevant mode one of the pins has to be grounded via a particular value resistor.

I've an understanding of what I need to do, I just need the time and soldering iron to get on with it. Next time our hardware engineer at work says he's bored I might throw the cable/dock at him and email him a link to the pinout info ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly I've discovered you can play the iPhone music through Bluetooth too. You don't have control over it with the steering wheel switches but you can use the push to talk function and go to next track or previous track etc. Every day is a new discovery

• Like 1

Interestingly I've discovered you can play the iPhone music through Bluetooth too. You don't have control over it with the steering wheel switches but you can use the push to talk function and go to next track or previous track etc. Every day is a new discovery

It does seem to be the case that the in-car bluetooth module and/or the Swing stereo don't support AVRCP 1.2. If it did then you'd be able to fully control the media playback like you can with the cable link method. Massive shame IMO.

As for my own plans, I'm no further on with it as yet - after looking at the cables and docks that I already have, none of them have the pins that I need for the serial Tx/Rx actually connected, so I'm going to have to order a bespoke connector from somewhere before I can make any progress. :(

• 3 months later...