Think i've done the right thing, but...

So I test drove a spec'd up 2.0 TDI SE yesterday and was very impressed........so impressed that we put in an order!

Now in the cold light of day i'm fretting a bit about my decision. Generally everything was great on the drive, but I noticed an intrusive low frequency booming noise now and again (not a constant noise, but a buffeting type). I've yet to read a review that put the Octavia down for noise so we (the dealer and I) put it down to the 18" wheels on crappy roads.

In the end we plumped for a 1.4TSI Elegance and i'm hoping that the 17" wheels will reduce the level of any road noise. I know lots of you are running on 18s so have you noticed anything like I experienced?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Well if it was possible I certainly would have. Unfortunately with 4 engine x 3 wheel variables they could never run all combinations, and in this case they were only provided demonstrators of the expected best selling models (ie diesel).

• Like 1

I appreciate you may not find the exact combination in just one car, sometimes you have to try two or three… when I test drove cars before ordering I tried the 140CR engine with a manual box in a Yeti (could not find one in a Superb as they had only just been introduced) then a 170CR DSG in the Superb Elegance estate.

I opted for the 170CR manual Superb Elegance Estate.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments.

They did also send me out in a mk II 1.4tsi, to give some idea of the power delivery. Again not ideal, but considering it has less power than the mk III, things will only get better in that respect.

Maybe I over dramatised the issue a bit!........I really just wanted some feedback on other users experience of noise levels in real use.

Anyway, hopefully in a few weeks it will be another Race blue Octavia to add to the growing collection.

So I test drove a spec'd up 2.0 TDI SE yesterday and was very impressed........so impressed that we put in an order!

Now in the cold light of day i'm fretting a bit about my decision. Generally everything was great on the drive, but I noticed an intrusive low frequency booming noise now and again (not a constant noise, but a buffeting type). I've yet to read a review that put the Octavia down for noise so we (the dealer and I) put it down to the 18" wheels on crappy roads.

In the end we plumped for a 1.4TSI Elegance and i'm hoping that the 17" wheels will reduce the level of any road noise. I know lots of you are running on 18s so have you noticed anything like I experienced?

Thanks.

Why didn't you order a 2.0 TDI SE?

Instead you've gone for an engine that you didn't try and a spec you haven't seen?

Well there was an elegance on display in the showroom so i did see and sit in what would be the final spec. Yes a 2.0 tdi SE would have been a similar price but I didn't particularly want another diesel, but did want the higher spec! If they had offered a 2.0 tdi elegance for the same price as the tsi, that might have been a different story!

Well there was an elegance on display in the showroom so i did see and sit in what would be the final spec. Yes a 2.0 tdi SE would have been a similar price but I didn't particularly want another diesel, but did want the higher spec! If they had offered a 2.0 tdi elegance for the same price as the tsi, that might have been a different story!

That would have been a great deal as there is about £2k difference! I have a 2.0TDI on 18" wheels, I test drove one on 17" but took the gamble based on the ride in my old Superb which was on 18s. I would say the ride is better than the Superb but not as good as SWMBOs Octy II on 16s, but a small price to pay for the improvement in looks and I can get my hand in to clean the back of the rims, so far they still look like they just left the showroom and I done 2500 miles so far!

......I can get my hand in to clean the back of the rims, so far they still look like they just left the showroom and I done 2500 miles so far!

I'm absolutely anal about cleaning the wheels...takes me as long to do them as the rest of the car! Suggestion - visit Halfords and buy a long brush designed especially for getting inside the rims. Also never ever use the proprietary wheel cleaners on the market (McQuires etc) as they are acidic and will break down the coating in no time. I use double strength car wash shampoo, does just as well and no damage to coating. Rinse well afterwards. You can put wax on them, it helps prevent the brake dust getting ingrained. All tips from my detailer!

• Like 1

There are some special substances for the rimms so you will see the little metalic fragments when washing them because they get a red color. Also you will not need to brush anything it will be active so no harm done.

I'm absolutely anal about cleaning the wheels...takes me as long to do them as the rest of the car! Suggestion - visit Halfords and buy a long brush designed especially for getting inside the rims. Also never ever use the proprietary wheel cleaners on the market (McQuires etc) as they are acidic and will break down the coating in no time. I use double strength car wash shampoo, does just as well and no damage to coating. Rinse well afterwards. You can put wax on them, it helps prevent the brake dust getting ingrained. All tips from my detailer!

First thing I did on delivery day was apply rim wax to the wheels. As I have the Golus 18", there is extra room for me to get my hand inside, I wear a glove as the brake disc guards are sharp like a razor, and just use normal wash n wax then re-apply the rim wax every two or three washes, so far I have washed every week, not sure if I can keep this up through the winter months but will try!

• Like 1