Remaps and insurence

Thinking of getting the phase 1 CC remap done on my Octy vRS, but being the tender age of 22, can see my insurence company throwing a bit of a fit. Wondered if people do generally tell their insrance companies or not? Don't see how they would know to be honest, but do like to stay on the right side of the law.......

What do you people do?

Cheers

Thinking of getting the phase 1 CC remap done on my Octy vRS' date=' but being the tender age of 22, can see my insurence company throwing a bit of a fit. Wondered if people do generally tell their insrance companies or not? Don't see how they would know to be honest, but do like to stay on the right side of the law.......

What do you people do?

Cheers[/quote']

dont worry about it. :) you will be allright untill you crash or kill someone then your are f@@ked. :rofl: seriously though its a big decision if you get it revo'd you might b able get it out b 4 assesser twigs? :confused: im sure it will cost

It is a fundamental duty of the insured to disclose any material facts to the insurer. If you do not do so then contract can be repudiated by the insurer, ie you will have paid a lot of money for nothing. That doesn't sound good value to me.

I always tell my insurers about any mods I do - it really isn't worth the grief if they find out.

You should tell the. Phone before you do it and get a quote, in writting.

If you can't pay, don't play!

Tell them - I always put it this way:

1) If they suspect it's remapped, they'll test for it & find it.

2) Theory of 'just switching it back out' - ain't gonna happen if it's a 'proper' accident. You'll be in shock probably, or at the very least, pretty stressed out.

3) Say you cause serious injury to the other party, yourself - and it was your fault. Your insurance finds out you've remapped without telling them. They don't pay out. You'll go bankrupt paying for the medical bills, not gonna be free..

Also - purely selfish angle - let's say you have a crash. The insurance would have covered repair of your car. But oops - they've found the undeclared remap - sorry mate, you're not insured. No money, no car left. Thats 10k down the drain...

It's just not worth it, ever. You are supposed to be insured. Insurance costs a lot of money, esp < 25. It sux. It really does. But the reason why insurance < 25 is so expensive is coz the insurance companies look at their percentages.

I would ring round, see if you can find one to insure you. You'll probably pay more but it will be worth it in the long run :thumbup:

dont worry about it. :) you will be allright untill you crash or kill someone then your are f@@ked. :rofl: seriously though its a big decision if you get it revo'd you might b able get it out b 4 assesser twigs? :confused: im sure it will cost

1) If they suspect it's remapped' date=' they'll test for it & find it.[/quote']

test it, I very much doubt it!

I would always tell my insurance about such things especially when the car is worth so much...

If your looking to change insurance companies, try chris knott (club insurance) they are very good...

You should always tell you insurer....any tuner worth their salt will tell you the same.

As boyced said give Chris Knott a try....very good....you can go via our links page or the banner at the top of the page...when it pops up.

Thinking of getting the phase 1 CC remap done on my Octy vRS' date=' but being the tender age of 22, can see my insurence company throwing a bit of a fit. Wondered if people do generally tell their insrance companies or not? Don't see how they would know to be honest, but do like to stay on the right side of the law.......

What do you people do?

Cheers[/quote']

Quite simple really.

If you don't tell your insurers about the remap then your insurance is invalid.

If you are going to drive with invalid insurance then why bother paying the insurance at all and just do without.

You might think that you won't be found out , and maybe thats right , but you won't necessarily have the chance to return things to standard if you are involved in a crash and insurance companies can and will find out these things.

Can you afford to pay tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds if you cause a big accident with no insurance?

insurance companies can and will find out these things.

Can you afford to pay tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds if you cause a big accident with no insurance?

how can they find out?

If you cause an accident and you've modded your car without telling your ins company, they 'have' to pay out to any 3rd party involved, they then have to try and claim the money back from you...

They'd take it to a dealer and make'em run the computer. They can tell how many horsepower it's gone up by with a computer.

They'd take it to a dealer and make'em run the computer. They can tell how many horsepower it's gone up by with a computer.

oh right, and they'd need to rolling road it for that to happen... So if you've smashed your car I doubt that would happen!

They can put it in another car or send it to VAG technical in MK or even connect it to a normal laptop, there are differences. Only "safe" way is a tuning box (assuming the bonnet isn't too mangled to get to it).

how can they find out?

By simply looking at the car if it has been physically chipped , or reading the code from the ecu if it's just been reprogrammed.

If a car has more visible mods as well , even if it's just different alloys , then that gives them the incentive to start poking around.

If you cause an accident and you've modded your car without telling your ins company' date=' they 'have' to pay out to any 3rd party involved, they then have to try and claim the money back from you...[/quote']

True , and would you really want to argue with direct lines lawyers in court?

Also what about fixing your own car if they don't pay out?

In case of an accident an insurance co would not be looking to verify amount of increase in power just that there's been some modification.

As alread has been said..sign of EEPROM change or ECU interrogation would show signs of remap.

So if this was all proven you insurance would be void.

You would have to fork out to fix your motor.....probably pay to fix other parties motor.

On top of it all you may even get prosecuted for driving with out any insurance.....not entirely sure on this one but seems plausible.

Look' date=' sorry to be rude, but don't be such a tw@. It's f***ing idiots with this kind of attitude that mean my insurance costs so much. :finger:

What a stupid and irresponsible suggestion to make.

And I'll make the same statement I always do when I get riled up about this insurance thing - I'm not going to apologise for my comment, retract it, or change my opinion, and if it upsets anyone, tough. Sue me.[/quote']

opened a can of worms there m8.suppose i should have put on "i informed my insurance company about mine" hat would of made the thread a bit more balanced. :thumbup:

opened a can of worms there m8.suppose i should have put on "i informed my insurance company about mine" hat would of made the thread a bit more balanced. :thumbup:

No offence meant, nothing personal :thumbup:

Tell them.

And if they try to widen your rear end, change your insurance to someone else.

I'm 21 and am with a company called Brentacre on their modified scheme. Can't explain exactly how it works, but they price more or less according to power and won't charge me for modifications which don't affect performance. Their prices are very reasonable.

Give them a call on 01792 650933 and if you can, ask to speak to John.

Good luck! Jamie