Price paid for a Monte Carlo Tech, Have I paid over the odds?

I have just paid deposit on the 1.6 version of the Tech, I felt a bit ambushed by the Salesman and the finance person and I ended paying full price £12990. 

My question is baring in mind the car was not built to spec but sitting in the docks somewhere. Would it be possible to renegotiate my deal with the salesman or sales manager. Or should I just put it down as a learning experience.  

You've put a deposit down which means you've agreed to a deal but there is nothing stopping you finding better deals else where and pointing those out to the dealership to see if you can get some reductions or additions (matts, free options, etc).

Legally, as with anything though you are entitled to a 14 day cool off period, which means you could cancel the deal and request your money back.

Edited by MediaJunky
  • Like 2

As mentioned, speak to the Sales guy and mention you could get a similar car elsewhere at a cheaper price. He may well match it (so have a figure available) or offer some freebies: servicing, accessories etc for the same price.

You could also make a "reasonable offer" and not budge from it so it would be down to them to accept a reduced profit or lose the sale completely.

The indicated price can nearly always be negotiated down by the buyer, you just need a bit of confidence and stubboness!

You may be able to negotiate a better deal, but at the Monte Tech is already discounted on a special offer you won't get a lot off.

If you want the car I'd go through with it, provided it suits your requirements.

Otherwise you need to look into your "cooling off period" options ASAP.

Assuming this was done in person you don't have the same level of protection as buying online or over the phone where you'd also be covered by the "Distance selling regulations".

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys. To be honest as there was not a part ex involved I think there was little room for manoeuvre on the dealers part. As the car was already discounted by £3,000

The reason why I questioned it I think was I did my homework back to front, normally on any big purchase I usually do lots of home work first. Schoolboy error really when you consider buying a car is one of the biggest purchases you can make.

Really looking forward to getting my car though now, very excited.

I've just negotiated a deal for a red TDI Monte Carlo Tech for my mum and managed to get £400 off list.

She has no part-ex but is taking the Skoda solutions finance.  Also managed to get mats thrown in :happy:

The dealers obvioulsy do still have margins to play with on these even though they are reduced quite heavily already but maybe it depends on how close they are to meeting targets etc.

I have also bought two previous Skodas brand new from that dealer so that may have helped too.

Even at list price they are still a great deal though so don't lose any sleep about it and enjoy it when it comes.  My mum should be picking hers up on Thursday (it was dealer stock so maybe another reason why they were open to a deal).

Edited by Stevoraith

Hi folks looking for some advice. I've ordered my first ever new car (been driving the same lovely polo for 12 yrs!) anyway, ordered 1.2 tsi Monte Carlo tech in white. The car is not yet registered or in the UK however it should arrive next week. The dealer knows I'll be on holiday & won't be back until beginning of August. My question is this - what would be the likelihood of the dealer holding off on registration until Sept so it's a 63 plate? Do you think this would be possible? Although I'm super excited about new car I can easily wait until Sept if this would be possible

got mine with £1500 off climatatronic rubber mats as a full tank of diesel. Don't be bluffed by salesmen - do your homework on prices. Salesmen are at your mercy - I went in and out of Benfield Skoda plenty of times and played them off against silbury and others. Eventually they buckled and gave me what i wanted. Bit of a game all in all but cash and desperate for a sale gives you huge power. Never ever pay full whack.

Edited by whitey

got mine with £1500 off climatatronic rubber mats as a full tank of diesel. Don't be bluffed by salesmen - do your homework on prices. Salesmen are at your mercy - I went in and out of Benfield Skoda plenty of times and played them off against silbury and others. Eventually they buckled and gave me what i wanted. Bit of a game all in all but cash and desperate for a sale gives you huge power. Never ever pay full whack.

Surely not a Tech then as you can't spec any options (such as climatronic) on Techs.

Normal Monte Carlos will have plenty of room for negotiation as they are now back up to full ist price.

Legally, as with anything though you are entitled to a 14 day cool off period, which means you could cancel the deal and request your money back.

Where did you get this from?

Only applies to distance selling or if you can prove that very high pressure was applied to gain the sale

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Edited by Its me