Monte Carlo vs Motorbike

I fear I came off a lot worse on this one...

post-96051-0-22750900-1374134583_thumb.jpg

So on Sunday me and family and a convoy of friends head to Twycross Zoo, having just exited J25 of the M1 and heading down the Long Eaton road past Novatel Hotel there traffic is pretty thick in both directions. Suddenly the car in front swerves in towards the curb, I have no time to react to the biker who is over the white line, in my lane overtaking on coming traffic, i.e head on with us.

It went with a right bang.

In fact he hit us so hard  the mirror has gouged my side window glass, three cars back got hit with debris, I cannot believe he didn't come off. Anyway I manage to pull into a service road on the right, with the intention of chasing after him but by the time I had turned round, he'd disappeared on to the J25 island. A few kind people pulled over to make sure we were OK and gave me their numbers which shows there are still some decent people in this world.

Having spoke to Rainworth Skoda (who are brilliant) I've had a quote of £280, for new mirror, side glass, paint and fitting which is didn't think was that bad. 

Needless to say, if anyone knows of someone who broke their motorbike at J25 of the M1 over the weekend, or picked up a wrist injury of some description, tell them I want me money back.

What was he riding? I'm an active member of a couple of big bike forums, so can keep an eye open.

Many thanks.

I don't know what bike it was, by the time I realised there was a bike there he'd already gone by and by the time I had turned round he was entering the island. I asked all three of the cars that pulled over and none of them got his reg or were knowledgeable enough to know what type of bike. I vaguely can pull an image from memory and it seemed fairly wide, maybe slightly taller than a normal sports bike but that's as much detail as it happened so quick. 

So annoyed he / she didn't stop, I'm left to foot the bill for their stupidity. 

There are lunatics and knobbers in all walks of life mate, just so long as you don't tar us all with the same brush :)

I will keep an ear to the ground on Visordown, and a couple of my other haunts, hoping that matey boy does the usual keyboard warrior thing and decides to brag about it. I'm thinking it must have been something similar in style at least to my GS as hitting a mirror in the scenario you describe would have probably pushed his front brake lever back, so maybe it had handguards fitted? If anything crops up I will let you know.

Ouch, sorry to hear about the damage.It seems to be more acceptable these days for bikes to squeeze through oncoming traffic & i noticed recently on a long ride that cars in front were moving over to the left as if to say i could go passed & whilst it's a nice gesture of them and i am pleased that they think of bikes i'd rather make my own choice & pass when i feel like it as there isnt always allot of room, to hit a skoda fabia which isnt a big car means he really cocked up this time & he then compounded it by not stopping.not all bikers are like this & the ones that are have got limited time left before they hurt themselves.

Main thing is no innocent people were hurt. Hopefully the fool will get the message and ride more sensibly from now on- assuming he was lucky and escaped injury, but somehow I doubt it and he'll strike again. The plus is you didn't end up involved in an injury or worse accident which for even those who were totally innocent can be very traumatic.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Don't panic, I used to have a bike so I know generally most riders are decent (you have to be to survive being on a bike) just annoys me that some spoil it for the rest.

What makes it worse is only two months ago my car was fixed after someone ran into the back of me! Not having much luck so far.

Isn't the M1 heavily monitored by traffic camera's? Is there no way of ringing and asking for the footage for insurance purposes? This is one of the reason why I have the extra security so to speak of having a Blackvue dashcam fitted.

Isn't the M1 heavily monitored by traffic camera's? Is there no way of ringing and asking for the footage for insurance purposes? This is one of the reason why I have the extra security so to speak of having a Blackvue dashcam fitted.

Unfortunately it was off the M1 although one of the cameras might have been able to pick him / her up during their escape. I did speak to the authorities but they didn't seem interested in getting footage, I'm still waiting for the officer to call me for a proper statement.

I'm looking at camera systems now, I've thought about it in the past but time to actually get some.