Site passwords & login changes

ColinD

Small world! Don't suppose you know a bloke called Ray Davies? It's not me. I did some work for Ample in lotus notes... 

No Sorry, but I still think Notes was the quickest development environment I ever used. Misunderstood by the masses but years ahead of its time.

I converted many legacy Fire Service systems into multi user, multi location applications accessed by a web based interface. Many of which are still in use today.

One such system took all the hydrant location records for the County and initially put them into Fire stations, each hydrant having Geo location data and a history of when it was last tested including pressure and flow.

This is now deployed to appliances, so that any machine attending any incident in Dorset has access to that information in the cab

Don't proclaim to understand computer security but as an oldy have issues with everyone and their cat

requiring different ways of signing on.

I would have thought (probably wrongly) that using an e-mail as part of login adds to the risk as I don't have many. (The logic being once you know the e-mail part you are part way if not 50% there in getting in.

I understand the need to have a strong password but again takes some remembering.

I don't want to use my e-mail login for everything as a real pain if it is hacked and you have to then

sort out the aftermath.

I now avoid website (for on line purchases) that demand 'login' before purchase  as it soon becomes

impossible to recall them especially if they all have different specs for inputting. The secure card part

of the process is sufficient surely?

If I use an id/password that is completely different from any others I was of the opinion if hacked at

least only this site is affected but stand corrected if wrong. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if someone else

posted in my name.

If any one can suggest a simple fool-proof  method of achieving security without  undue complication let

us know.

Edited by kibby

No I am not doing that!!!

"If I use an id/password that is completely different from any others........."

Edited by kibby

Hi Colin,

Upon trying that form, I can see the HTTPS certificate, but clicking submit after putting in my username and password it warns me that it is a non-secure form and asks if I wish to continue anyway.

Is this correct?

I continued anyway.

• Administrators

Stu, in part no it should not be doing it. But as I've not forced the ssl setting, the forum software is trying to take you to a non ssl page.

I'll update the opening post to take the link out, when it's flipped  over it should be fine.

Apologies if this is me being a bit thick here - but am having some problems with my iphone and ipad not appearing to log out? 

Use Safari on my iphone and  a couple times over the last few days when I have clicked on Safari it appears to be reloading me onto the last page I was on , but signed in again - even though I am sure I logged out ?  :blush:

Wondered if using three different devices was causing problems , or am I doing something wrong? 

Haven't had the new login screen as yet to my knowledge - could the two be linked? 

Many Thanks Sarah 

Apologies if this is me being a bit thick here - but am having some problems with my iphone and ipad not appearing to log out? 

Use Safari on my iphone and  a couple times over the last few days when I have clicked on Safari it appears to be reloading me onto the last page I was on , but signed in again - even though I am sure I logged out ?  :blush:

Wondered if using three different devices was causing problems , or am I doing something wrong? 

Haven't had the new login screen as yet to my knowledge - could the two be linked? 

Many Thanks Sarah 

Found your problem Sarah...

Use Safari on my "iphone"

Get a better phone ;) lol

• Like 2

Found your problem Sarah...

Use Safari on my "iphone"

Get a better phone ;) lol

You're more right than you probably realise. :happy:  I did  accidently test the  waterproof abilities of the phone - not sure it helped much  :blush:  However having the same problems with ipad too  :think:

• 4 weeks later...