Can't see speedometer needle and revcounter needle in dull weather.

In my Scout the speedometer and revcounter are not illuminated when the driving lights are off and are difficult to read in dull conditions.

It this normal?

Also when the driving lights are on the illumination is not very bright.

What are other Roomster owners experiences?

Depends on when your car was built, as constant dash illumination is relatively new.

Where it is fitted/enabled, it will auto dim in low light.  It's to help advise you lights may be needed, or if you have autolights the lights should trigger even if the windscreen sensor says it's bright enough.

If you look closely at the dash, you'll see the sensor typically on the r/h side of the rev counter

Alex B,

The car is going in for a service to WMC in 2 weeks time so if I don't resolve the illumination I will ask them to.

(and I've put up with the issue for 2 years, durr!!!)

gatgetman

I bought the car new in August 2011. I searched for the sensor. Not found. For years I have bypassed the lack of illumination by turning the sidelights on.

devonotupia

Not in my car. However the revcounter and speedometer do not look the same as in the Owner's Manual having no coolant temperature gauge at the bottom of the revcounter and no fuel gauge at the bottom of the speedometer.

devonotupia

Not in my car. However the revcounter and speedometer do not look the same as in the Owner's Manual having no coolant temperature gauge at the bottom of the revcounter and no fuel gauge at the bottom of the speedometer.

Those dials are part of the maxidot dash pod.  The standard fit has an LCD graph fuel gauge and warning lights for temperature.

My 2007 model has no dash illumination unless at least parking lights are on. Must be a later model feature.

My 2013 has needles illuminated at all times.  Dial illumination only when lights are on.

• 11 months later...

Found this thread while searching for a solution.

2014 model year Scout, no Maxidot, standard basic panel - there appears to be no daytime illumination, and no adjustment of the rather dim backlight when the lights are on.  I can't see any sign that it auto-dims/brightens either, on short acquaintance with it.

I suppose it has to be dim, given the lack of adjustment, otherwise it would be to bright in properly dark conditions, but it's surprising on a car with other very useful comfort features such as seat height, and reach/height steering wheel, adjustment.

It doesn't help that the numbers are quite small, too.

Needles are clearly visible, though I detect no illumination.

Not the end of the world, but definitely an irritation.  I can't remember the last car I had without any adjustment for the brightness.

My model year 2014 Roomster Scout's speed and rev needles are illuminated only when driving light switch is in park or normal driving mode. My Roomster is equipped with Maxidot display.

My 2007 model has no dash illumination unless at least parking lights are on. Must be a later model feature.

My 08 is the same....