Unfolding the mirrors

Colleagues

So our new Octavia can fold its mirors which is great. This can be achieved by holding the lock key down on the key fob. It seems that as long as one leaves the mirror control knob on the "L" position they then unfold when you insert the key into the ignition. Or at least, on our Octavia, they sometimes do. On ours the mirrors sometimes do not unfold. Perhaps the left mirror, or maybe the right or even both. Does anyone know the logic or rules around this process and whether we might have an intermittent feature or whether there is some particular ritual required to get it to work all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I had exactly the same problem on my Octavia, but the dealer could find nothing wrong.  As usually happens, it worked perfectly whilst they had the car.  However, when I collected the car from them I found that they had somehow changed the settings so that the mirrors now unfold when the driver's door is opened.  I have had no problems at all since this change was made.  It may therefore be an idea if you get your dealer to make this change for you.

Edited by DevonDave

My red one I spec'd folding mirrors.

They indeed folded in when holding the button down.

Once I opened the Drvers door both mirrors unfolded.

On mine the mirrors fold when holding down the 'lock' key button and unfold when the drivers door is opened as mentioned above. 

Another feature of the folding mirrors is that they can be electrically folded for example when driving down a narrow road, meeting an oncoming vehicle and folding in the mirrors to avoid clipping his mirror.  I think this only works when driving very slowly.  To operate this turn the mirror operating button to the small icon that is one click clockwise from the 'L' marker.

Mac

Koda,

I have the same problem on mine, ever since I bought the car new in 2010. Sometimes the left or the right mirror does not unfold. It can be fine for many months and then it can happen. Dealer never found anything wrong with it.

This problem is addressed by Technical Bulletin 2023814/1, the content of which is shown below. It was cut into production in wk22 2010 i.e. 2011 model year.

It is a simple coding change for the dealer which changes the mirror unfold from "ignition on" to "drivers door opening".

It is done without charge in a warranty situation. As the bulletin states, there is a warranty code for the work and a time unit of 0.5 hrs.

I've had this done to mine so can vouch for the bulletin. This coding change cannot be done by using VCDS - it has to be the dealers system.

Technical product information
Transaction No.: 2023814/1
Folding out of outer rear mirrors does not work
Release date: 14-Jul-2010

Customer statement / workshop findings

After starting the vehicle, the fold-in outer rear windows do not sporadically fold out (one or both).

Technical background

Voltage decrease when starting the vehicle.

Production change

22th CW 2010 (MY 2011) – fold-out of mirrors already when door is opened (change of the logic for folding out the mirrors).

Measure

Using the VAS Marken CD 39 and higher, change the coding of the control unit of the driver´s and front passenger´s doors (diagnosis address 42 and 52), where you select fold-out of outer mirrors when the door is opened in the coding possibilities, see Fig.1.

Fig.1

Warranty accounting instructions

Fault code / symptom:

5782 / 0040

Working position:

5782 2599         30 TU

So much great feedback. I am really grateful and not the least because we thought we were going a little mad.

Atkinsong - thanks for your super full explanation. I now know exactly what to do. My car is covered by a Skoda apparently so as next step I shall see if this is going to be easy to sort or the subject of some negotiation. Here's hoping.

Roon - while it is certainly not good to hear you have the same fault it is kind of good to know we are not alone with this issue and so it is more of a systematic fault rather than a broken car.

Mac - I had not thought of narrowing the car down for negotiating slim gaps. Cars are getting so capable it is hard for the likes of me to keep up. Great suggestion.

DevonDave - again good to hear that we are not alone and also to hear about the cure.

Vectra - sounds like yours is already up to the latest spec. showing the way.

Once again everyone thanks for your fantastic input.

Koda - the dealer should be able to look up the bulletin by its number, mine certainly did.

If you have any trouble with them pm me your email address and I'll send you an ms word copy of it.