Oil - Not about consumption

Hi guys, yes it's yet another thread about oil :) Nothing to do with consumption or checking the oil level, this is about different oils that can be bought.

So in the VRS Skoda use Castrol Edge Professional 5w30. My question is, is it best to stick to this or can others that meet the VW and viscosity requirements okay? My reason for asking is with the current reductions on a certain car parts website the 4litre bottles are quite a good price.

The castrol edge, as used by Skoda is £27.99. But then there's castrol magnatec for £20.99, would this be suitable?

Also is it not recommended to top up your oil with one that is different to that already in the car?

I i believe magnetec meets the recommended specs :) if you are on 10k services as long as its at LEST 502 its fine :)

Thought it was worth an ask, especially with saving another £6 over the oil i was going to buy. Anyone else able to confirm/have any thoughts on alternative oils.?

Make sure you buy the oil with the correct spec for the fixed, VW 502 00

or variable service. VW 504 00

Plenty of places have Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5w 30 or 5w 40 for not too much money.

Might run a degree or 2 lower than Quantum lll Long Life as put in by Skoda.

'Mobile 1' might have the engine running a degree or 2 lower than Castrol Edge.

Make sure you buy the oil with the correct spec for the fixed, VW 502 00

or variable service. VW 504 00

Plenty of places have Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5w 30 or 5w 40 for not too much money.

Might run a degree or 2 lower than Quantum lll Long Life as put in by Skoda.

'Mobile 1' might have the engine running a degree or 2 lower than Castrol Edge.

This is going to sound extremely naive of me, but i don't actually know what service interval my car is on. The car came with 5w30 in the boot.

How old is your car?

in 2012 the code changed from Fixed Service to Variable service.

It is in the bottom left corner of the Service Book.

QG 2 is Fixed Service   I think it is QG16 for variable.

If on Variable you do not need to wait till 18,000 miles or when ever, change the oil to suit yourself.

If you are on Fixed Service, the Service Indicator when reset will show 9400 miles till the next service.

george

How old is your car?

in 2012 the code changed from Fixed Service to Variable service.

It is in the bottom left corner of the Service Book.

QG 2 is Fixed Service   I think it is QG16 for variable.

If on Variable you do not need to wait till 18,000 miles or when ever, change the oil to suit yourself.

If you are on Fixed Service, the Service Indicator when reset will show 9400 miles till the next service.

george

Car is a 62 plate, August 2012.

It will have in the better oil probably & be Variable Service.

Can you check the Maxidot when the Service is due.

Are you away to do an oil change yourself?  How many miles on the car?

Do not mix oils if topping up.  Read the Owners manual.

It will have in the better oil probably & be Variable Service.

Can you check the Maxidot when the Service is due.

Are you away to do an oil change yourself?  How many miles on the car?

Do not mix oils if topping up.  Read the Owners manual.

Will have to check that later on,

Car is currently on 6000 miles and has been topped up with VW 504 oil since I've owned it.

With the Bottle in the boot with the car when new being Castrol Edge 5w 30

i would stick with that untill the next service/oil change.

It might tell you in the Owners Manual, the likes of,

if it has 5W 40 you can top up a little with 5w 30

or vice versa.

If you have VW 504 & it is Fully Synthetic 5w 30, then thats what to use if topping up.

What is your service indicator showing till the next Oil change?

*Hopefully with 6,000miles on the clock now it will not need topped up very often.*

Do not overfill it.

Checked out the service interval thing, I've owned it for almost 6 months and it is reading about 14200 miles or 470 days until next service. This can't be right surely?

Edited by Ryan's VRS

Hi guys, just the thread I was looking for! I have had my fabia vrs for just over a month now (2000 miles on clock) and I just got round to checking the oil. The level is about 1/3 the way up the hashed area, well below the full mark. I'm not sure how full it was when I took delivery of it but I would like to top it up. However, I wasn't provided any additional oil (not that I can find in the boot anyway) and I don't know what oil they put in there to begin with.

Should i do a complete oil change as to be sure of no oil mixing or just top up with some branded fully synthetic 5w30 that meets the VW 504 00 spec?

Advice much appreciated :-)

You should be fine with Fully Synthetic 5w 30,  but 5w 40 will do no harm.

Is that the level on the Dipstick cold dipped or hot dipped?

Do not over fill it.

If that is a hot dip showing 3/4 up the hatched area it is only needing a small amount of oil putting in.

If you are near the Dealership that supplied it, just ask them for Litre of oil,

most dealers put them out with a Bottle.

george

Cheers for the fast reply George.

When I checked the oil the engine was only slightly warm from the last run. I will cold dip tomorrow morning but even on the warm dip it's only a third of the way up the hatched area, so pretty low.

I'm not too far away from the dealer actually and I need to go in and speak to them about the car pulling very slightly left even on flat non-cambered road so I will ask them for a litre of oil (or if they're unwilling to provide me that small favour at least ask them what would have been put in it).

Have you looked at the owners manual, 3/4 up the cross hatch is top of area 'B', into area 'A', as they show it, not really too low,

only a little will be enough to bring it up.

Before doing a Hot check,

Tomorrow open the bonnet, dip it cold with the car on the flat.

Hopefully it is above the cross hatch.

Then start the car and stop it right away.  Just fire it up and turn off.

Dip it, it might show what you already know, 3/4 up the cross hatch.

after the car has had the engine oil properly hot, dip it after 5 minutes, it might again just show that 3/4 up the cross hatch.

Only needs a small top up.

Just do not overfill.

? Have you read the 'Pulling to the left' thread down the page a bit?

george