"Exhaust inspection system" Warning Light

I had this warning light for a few days last week and took it to my local dealer yesterday

ScreenShot1620.jpg

I was there for over an hour and they claimed that they had fixed it with a software update.

Guess what I noticed as I was riving back?  The same warning light!

No sign of an emergency mode i.e. it seems as quick as ever.

I suppose I will take it back some time, but it is a pain when I am really busy in the working week at the moment.

Hard to know if I have a problem with the exhaust or with the warning light!

No the DPF is usually a different light.

Could be a lazy lamda sensor, you wouldn't notice an difference is performance.

Best get back back to garage for a full check

I didn't think Diesels have lambda sensors but with the introduction of Euro 5 emissions regs I guess they need the extra information for the ECU to control the fuelling better.

Could well be a lambda sensor going duff like spitzie says.

At least 4 possible reasons for this:

1) Really bad fuel

2) Old age degradation

3) Bad sensor from the factory

4) Wiring

I'm guessing no. 3

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

this post is not meant to panic you, but to help you.

Call VAG assist, and tell them you have got this light come on. they will most likely tell you not to drive and they will send out a patrol to run diags. this will save you going to the dealer in the first instance.

If the fault shows not to drive it, they will take it to the dealership and give you a loan car.

it may be something really simple, but even if you call them from work tomorrow, this will not inconvinience you, and they will do it straight away, and saves you driving to the dealers, and waiting whilst they fit you in.

good luck.

• Like 2

this post is not meant to panic you, but to help you.

Call VAG assist, and tell them you have got this light come on. they will most likely tell you not to drive and they will send out a patrol to run diags. this will save you going to the dealer in the first instance.

If the fault shows not to drive it, they will take it to the dealership and give you a loan car.

it may be something really simple, but even if you call them from work tomorrow, this will not inconvinience you, and they will do it straight away, and saves you driving to the dealers, and waiting whilst they fit you in.

good luck.

Thanks - sounds like a good idea.  Any idea where to get the number to call please?  I just googled "VAG Assist" and the results were exclusively, er, biological!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The orange "Exhaust Inspection System" light came on my Skoda Octavia 1.6 FSI yesterday after a garage changed my car battery! No idea whether the two things are related.

Notes:

• The Skoda garage said that:
    • their diagnostic test equipment had detected a "brake pressure fault"
    • the fault would require further work/time to determine the precise nature of the fault
  • A new car battery was installed later the same day by a different garage
  • The battery garage says that there is no link between the battery change and the the EIS orange light coming on afterwards
  • Disconnecting car battery will cause Memory 1 and Memory 2 (odometer info) to be erased

Question 1: Is there anyone out there who actually had this problem sorted out satisfactorily by their garage? If so, please let me know what the outcome of the diagnostic test was and how much you paid for this service.
Question 2: One forum member mentioned a "fault code reader". Do Skoda garages usually have one?
Question 3: What happens to the car if you continue to drive the car while the orange warning light is still on (= the do-nothing scenario)?

Question 4: Could the battery disconnection also cause the EIS orange warning lamp to come on?

Any ideas, information, tips and anecdotes welcome.

Any update? Interested just in case.

To be perfectly honest, I have taken the "do nothing" option for the time being.  This happened at the last-working-week-before-holiday crazily busy period, then the car had a holiday in an airport car park, and now I am in the post-holiday craziness (ignore this brief Briskoda diversion boss :blush: ).  Given that is was said to be a software problem and the light came back as soon as I left the garage, I decided to live with it until I find the time.  (Adds it to list of things I really should do soon).

So why does the manual clearly say that it is the Exhaust inspection system light? That does seem much more specific than Engine Management Light.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - (Having taken the car to a dealer near home in July, for them to perform a software update that didn't fix it)

Two weeks ago, a dealer near where I work had the car all day to look at this and 2 other faults*.

They said that the car needed a new "additional cooling pump".

Yesterday they fitted the pump and I drove home to Bristol.  Driving back to Swansea this morning - guess what?  The light was back on!!  Agghh

*2 other faults in a new thread:  SD Card 1 doesn't work + Load bang from speakers after unlocking

Sorry to hear that.

I do wonder whether some dealers just start replacing things vaguely related as a revenue generator in the knowledge that the warranty will pick up the bill.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.

I do wonder whether some dealers just start replacing things vaguely related as a revenue generator in the knowledge that the warranty will pick up the bill.

Hope you get it sorted.

Yes, they do, sort of.

When I worked in the trade, we used to replace parts on a chance it would fix an issue as generally the manufactures didn't know how to fix a lot of problems themselves (especially new models) and throwing parts at it would eventually work it's magic and fix the fault. Manufactures are very tight on what they will pay for. We spent weeks fixing various faults in a financial year knowing full well that would would not be able to claim a penny under the warranty as the manufacture had tied our hands in what we could claim for. We would have to attempt to fix the fault though as we had customer satisfaction percentages to keep up regardless if we would get paid. It was like being a high wire tight rope walker keeping the balance right!!

Edited by Pumatron
  • Like 1

And in the meantime I have to keep taking my car in - and they always trash my economy figures!

Oh dear, not a great start, is it?

I'd keep a record of dates and mileage of when taking it to the dealers. If you should need to reject the car under sale of good act (unlikely i know) you would need to build a case against skoda. Lets hope it doesn't come to that and the issues you are experiencing are rectified.

Edited by Pumatron

One should've have to go through this sheeeet. Its why we buy a brand new car!

I remember when I bought my last car - VW Golf V6 4motion (still have it) 10 year ago. Within the first 3 months it had been back to the dealer 13 times. New drivers seat, rear suspension fitted was for 3 door, not 5 door, nasty dash rattles, flickering dash board and then the final straw, a new engine cylinder head. The car had 800 miles on the clock, 500 of them were used by the dealer.

When they told me about the need to replace the engine cylinder head, I just said very calmly "I don't want this car back, I'd like a new one please!"  The dealer didn't even put up a fight - said "no problem" and I had a new car 2 months later. That one was perfect for 10 years.

Unfortunately, I suspect my situation would have to be a lot worse than it is, before I could persuade our Fleet Management dept and a lease company that this car should be rejected.

• 2 years later...

Light turn on mine 2. This post is not helpful. Sorry admin I didn't found this topic before opening mine.

Edited by Croat