Red mist lifted-what to do with a 136 with bust engine?

mender

I've had a bumpy ride with the 1989 136 I own and wanted to bail out of it to recoup funds to please others, but....

I mended the engine fire in my Transit for less than £100-was expecting garage bill of 000s

The Iveco EDC light disappeared after a 20 mile thrash-it was probably a stuck EGR valve due to only pootling it locally-phew!

Fixed a handling/steering issue on the other car with drop links fitted gratis by a mate

I fixed the shower by buying a new one myself on ebay and fitting it myself-saved ££££

Had a small windfall and an outstanding invoice finally paid

So, long and short is that I now have a licence to sort out the Rapid and have some funds to do it.  Gutted not to make the mega-meet but hey-ho.

So what to do, who to ask?

I reckon the engine in there is properly cooked as:

Drove it 40 miles temp gauge normal, stopped for fuel, boiled over, let it cool, refilled it without bleeding

Drove 5 miles, temp gauge higher and higher, lost water, let it cool, refilled it, bled it, refilled

Drove 5 miles, temp gauge top end, smelled very hot, oil on and around engine smoking

Stopped, let it cool, refilled it, bled it

Started it, running on 3, steam out of exhaust, screech from somewhere

Car is sat in Leominster HR6, I now have a budget to fix it, anyone fancy doing a straight engine swap or sticking something else in there?

I don't need to use the car until it is done.  Could do with it being collected or done here, could tow it a short way if I buy my wife something nice as she hates being towed!

Repair this engine?

Straight engine swap?

Alfa 145 engine?

Another engine?

Ideas?

I have trade insurance so no worries there.

I would like it to be reliable once done as I will use it for fun as intended, so cooling will need to be sorted!

What a difference a few days makes  :sun:

Good to hear the mist has cleared. Re engine, depends what you want to do with it. Are you looking to maintain originality or stick something else in there? Daverapid would be the best person to turn to for sorting it out.

If you look towards a different engine, do consider a K series lump, principally because the are nice light engines that can be mated to standard trans axle with a bit of engineering. Go look up Special K thread in classic projects. I bought mine already converted and it goes more than well!!

Good to hear the mist has cleared. Re engine, depends what you want to do with it. Are you looking to maintain originality or stick something else in there? Daverapid would be the best person to turn to for sorting it out.

If you look towards a different engine, do consider a K series lump, principally because the are nice light engines that can be mated to standard trans axle with a bit of engineering. Go look up Special K thread in classic projects. I bought mine already converted and it goes more than well!!

Cheers, not sure how to get it to him and he's away til 6/8, but sounds like the right idea to me.

I did not know a k-series fits-is there a list of what fits a Rapid or what has been done before?

The only straight fit (not needing gearbox plate, different mounts etc) engines the car will take are Favorit, Felicia or Fabia classic 8v. A Favorit or early Felicia engine is as close to a straight swap as you would get......I produced a guide on it that I think I've cut and pasted onto numerous threads on here and the other forum. On the other forum you'll find Jikovron who has done the Fabia 1.4 8v swap - more difficult but not much serious engineering work. Kieran on the other forum (and occasionally on here too) has the pattern for a k-series adaptor and would be willing to flog you one I'm sure but you then need to convert the engine to carbs and a distributorless ignition system as well as work to sort out engine mounts. Fiat twin cams are no longer cheap but there are adaptor plates out there if you can find one.

The VW 14. 16v, or in fact quite a few modern VW 4 cylinder engines would fit with the adaptor plate as used in the diesel and 1.6 Felicias, but you have the issue of igniton and fuel too. Don't go much beyond about 130bhp or you will have trouble with the gearbox because they aren't the strongest thing on the car.

I think before you decide your current engine is goosed you should open it up and get it looked at - parts are cheap and everything is available to rebuild it. Other than the swap to a Fav/Fel engine this would be the cheapest and easiest way to get a working car. Engine out, rebuild and back in would only take a day if you had all the parts waiting I reckon.

The old Skoda pushrod engine is a sturdy piece of kit and the head has probably warped from your description but as long as it hasn't cracked it will skim and go back on. Carrying on as many times as you have probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do but I bet the whole thing isn't wrecked and the bottom end won't need anything doing.

Edited by hawkeracing

The only straight fit (not needing gearbox plate, different mounts etc) engines the car will take are Favorit, Felicia or Fabia classic 8v. A Favorit or early Felicia engine is as close to a straight swap as you would get......I produced a guide on it that I think I've cut and pasted onto numerous threads on here and the other forum. On the other forum you'll find Jikovron who has done the Fabia 1.4 8v swap - more difficult but not much serious engineering work. Kieran on the other forum (and occasionally on here too) has the pattern for a k-series adaptor and would be willing to flog you one I'm sure but you then need to convert the engine to carbs and a distributorless ignition system as well as work to sort out engine mounts. Fiat twin cams are no longer cheap but there are adaptor plates out there if you can find one.

The VW 14. 16v, or in fact quite a few modern VW 4 cylinder engines would fit with the adaptor plate as used in the diesel and 1.6 Felicias, but you have the issue of igniton and fuel too. Don't go much beyond about 130bhp or you will have trouble with the gearbox because they aren't the strongest thing on the car.

I think before you decide your current engine is goosed you should open it up and get it looked at - parts are cheap and everything is available to rebuild it. Other than the swap to a Fav/Fel engine this would be the cheapest and easiest way to get a working car. Engine out, rebuild and back in would only take a day if you had all the parts waiting I reckon.

The old Skoda pushrod engine is a sturdy piece of kit and the head has probably warped from your description but as long as it hasn't cracked it will skim and go back on. Carrying on as many times as you have probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do but I bet the whole thing isn't wrecked and the bottom end won't need anything doing.

Cheers

I guess I need to get it someone and get it opened up to make a decision, it would be best for me for it to be as stock as poss and have everything checked and upgraded to make it run perfectly for many years.  Open to suggestions though.

I was so close to home when I finally gave up-I thought letting it go cold and filling it up with cold water each time would work for the last section of the journey, but gave up when the oil on the outside started smoking and exhaust started steaming!

Anyone ever fitted a big bike engine?  I've always fancied a sleeper and a beige 89 Skoda running 200bhp through a bike box would be fun  :rofl:

In theory you could remove the engine and then put it in your boot and take it to someone (like Daverapid) for a rebuild.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Now that is a thought-would be easier if I could do this.... :thumbup:

Thought about it and it's too complex* for me to take it out myself at the moment, will need to go somewhere to get it done

Good idea though  :thumbup:

*it's sat on my Parent's drive-where it was machine polished last week and one of the neighbours actually wrote to the council about the noise of having this done for a few hours on a Thursday lunchtime, idiots-we had a letter from the council about it.  

What is wrong with people?

Edited by mender

So, what to do with it?

Sounds like it needs a holiday at daverapid's, but how to get it to Hertfordshire?  He's not back til 6th too and will likely have a period of catch up when he's back.

Any other ideas?

DIY.....its just like Meccano for adults....buy a Haynes and crack on with taking it to bits, order parts from Skoparts Int and away you go!

Can't-see prev posts, car does not drive, neighbours are daft, may be more than simple gasket and want it to be reliable once done

It's just sorting where and how to send it...

The engine out is really quite simple, and as said, once stripped it would be easy to get it to Dave's. If he says it is a no-go, then there should be plenty of suitable Fav/Fab engines around to fit.  

Going the bike engine route is likely to be fraught, and could potentially need an IVA test because of "chassis" changes.

Before now I've had none running cars transported across the country for repairs. I use Shiply to organise it and I've always been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it has been.

If you pay for my fuel I will whip across to you in my k series mb and take the head off for you and even lend a hand if needed..Im in Brum..

PM sent

Before now I've had none running cars transported across the country for repairs. I use Shiply to organise it and I've always been pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it has been.

Thanks for all help and advice via pm, pm sent!

Cheers all for your help and advice, much appreciated.

With a heavy heart, I have let her go to a seasoned enthusiast who will put the engine and bits right and keep her for many years.

Fair play to carandclassic.com and their free ads: within hours I had three serious enquiries and took a deposit online, car unseen.  The chap sent a guy with a truck today to inspect/collect it-he was amazed by the condition, made the call and the balance was paid online in minutes.

At last count 500-odd people had viewed the ad which is an amazing response for a free ad; one guy was annoyed that I had sold it before he got chance to see it and tried to up the bid slightly to £1500 so he could knock the buyer off.   A straight seller and straight buyer-no messing.

I am sorry to part with her after the huge effort involved in finding one; but as said the circumstances aren't in my favour now and the buyer will be able to love it.

Glad you had a successful sale.

Have you seen the black Rapid on eBay? :-D

Yes, spotted it at £1499 start price

Personally, I'd have had it polished professionally so it looked perfect and done some better photos

I watch classic prices constantly and it won't be long before the best immaculate ones change hands at £3000

In the last few years prices have rocketed on basic or "communist" stuff such as 2CVs, Dyanes, Fiat 126s and Lada Rivas (esp pre -85).

People want charismatic, usable, basic stuff which makes them smile and can be used as a daily driver, perhaps the reason Trabants have kept low prices.

Good investments I see over the next few years are:

Early Fiat Panda 45

Special edition Fiat Pandas, Sisley, Tachini

Skoda Rapid Sport

Skoda Rapid Convertible

80s stuff is gaining appreciation now and getting very rare; Sierra 2000E, Sierra 4x4 (not Cos), early Jellymould Ghias etc are going to rocket

it won't be long before 90s Fiat Coupes and Alfa GTV/Spider start doing the same-but only the best of the best, standard, full provenance cars.

Alfa 145 Cloverleafs look stupendously cheap now at around £1500 for the very best when you see the price ratty 'Suds fetch.

Late tidy sub 100k Saab 900 convertibles are super cheap at under £1000 too.

If I had a large warm, dry, storage area, all of the above would be my pension.

Ebay is not as good as carandclassic.com for selling this type of thing-from experience of having 186 cars!