re-map on a 1.4 8v fabia?

Hi all just thinking about having a re-map done on my skoda fabia mk1 1.4 8v? Would like to no if it's worth it or waste of money? The positives and negatives having this done? And how much it would roughly cost?

My mate had one done on his 2013 plate Monte Carlo fabia and said it was worth it but mines a 2000 plate so there different.

Any feedback and help much appreciated

Thanks Sean.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that there is little to be achieved from chipping the 8v. The engine comes from the 60s originally and was used extensively in motorsport over time. That said if you want to modify it as you find it in your Fabia then you'll need to go with a programmable ECU like Megasquirt with throttle bodies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Waste of money.

You'll barely notice the difference except for thelighter wallet.

Chop it in for a 16v. Or theres a vRS in the classified for under

3 grand at the mo.  

Optimistically an air filter and full exhaust system will make a difference. But the cost vs power gain is a pretty poor ratio.

Like I say they can make 100+bhp but not without custom ECU, throttle bodies, 4 branch manifolds, hi-light cams, etc. As said a 1.4 16v or 1.9tdi is a better place to start for a fast Fabia. Nothing wrong with the 8v mind, proper Skoda engine.

Im only 19 so Insurance for vrs would be ridiculous only been driving for just over a year, what performance upgrades could I do to make my car preform better?

Thanks

Handling mods, rear anti roll bar, better brakes. Won't make the car any faster but  

you'll be able to carry more speed through the fun stuff. So will seem faster and

stop better.

Handling mods, rear anti roll bar, better brakes. Won't make the car any faster but  

you'll be able to carry more speed through the fun stuff. So will seem faster and

stop better.

But if only 19, that stuff will make insurance really expensive.

Keep standard for a bit until you have a couple of years NCB :)

Buy a classic. Often cheaper insurance and it doesn't need to be quick to be fun to drive. See a rear engined Skoda as an example of low powered cars that are great fun to drive.

But if only 19, that stuff will make insurance really expensive.

Keep standard for a bit until you have a couple of years NCB :)

Granted, but no more so than remaps and the like.

It's just that with handing mods at least you can feel what

the money went on a bit. The best bet is to price up insurance

on your modded 1.4 (with everything you plan to do)

and then a standard vRS. They would probably be closer than you

think.

Im only 19 so Insurance for vrs would be ridiculous only been driving for just over a year, what performance upgrades could I do to make my car preform better?

Thanks

Ahh I see sorry. I'm 23 but have 5 years no claim bonus so it's more tolerable for me.

Yet again I completely agree with grr666, beat me to the point.

Hi all just thinking about having a re-map done on my skoda fabia mk1 1.4 8v? Would like to no if it's worth it or waste of money? The positives and negatives having this done? And how much it would roughly cost?

My mate had one done on his 2013 plate Monte Carlo fabia and said it was worth it but mines a 2000 plate so there different.

Any feedback and help much appreciated

Thanks Sean.

Not worth it unless you perform breathing mods to compliment the remap. Custom air-filter box with a big cone - say Honda S2000 and work to improve the exhaust. It's the sort of thing that's worth doing if you can figure/do it yourself if the insurance won't go sky high.

On the handling side of things though check the console bushes for wear, then replace them with newer anyway, then find out the price of fitting a Whiteline RARB.

J.

I tried getting more performance out of a 1.4 8v engine on my first car a couple of years ago, and ended up with nothing gained at all, just a silly amount of money gone that I wish I'd never spent! Learnt from that mistake though.

Unless you throw loads of money at it you won't get anything much more from it in my opinion.

As others have said, if you do want to modify it, focus on the handling side of things. Maybe try and make it a bit lighter also? Enjoy your Skoda! :)