Advice needed on Rear Caliper refurb.

I've replaced my N/S rear brake caliper on my VRS because the brake cable lever kept on jamming up. The caliper itself works fine, it just the lever that keeps sticking.

So, I'm planning on stripping it down & doing a refrub on it to sell it on. Has anyone got a link or instructions on where to start, as do want to start pulling it apart & end up breaking something.

Or, if anyone wants to buy it off me now for £30 (inc P/P) & be happy for someone else to do the work & make a small profit.

Edited by Chris Berry

Maybe you should trade that faulty calliper in against a refurbished one, ECP handle Pagid refurbished Lucas callipers, I bought one for my 2000 B5 Passat and during a "good deal" period, I think it cost about £85 after handing the old on in.

Ah, I've just re-read your post, why did you not hand it in or did you buy secondhand?

Edited by rum4mo

It already has the return spring on. It still ceases up with it on.

The lever frees up once some WD40 is applied, but I done it now 3 times & was sick of it so I managed to get another caliper from a scrap yard.

I could sell it on ebay, but i feel uncomfortable selling it faulty.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/274004-caliper-rebuilding/#entry3302203

The two sites listed there are your best bet mate. I'm half way through rebuilding both my rears due to the same problem (the springs only worked for about a week). It's straightforward enough, just time consuming. You'll need a rewind tool, circlip pliers and obviously the seals at the least.

It's not worth messing about with when you can buy a new for £40... A faulty one has to be worth less than a fiver

Couldn't agree more. I bought two for less than £80 after looking into referbing mine and deciding it wasn't worth my time.

I also now have two redundant rears that I don't know what to do with!