Joy of joys - Briskoda! I've been researching the purchase of our fourth Skoda and stumbled on your site. You all seem as devoted to your Skodies as my husband and I are. Visited the site as a guest, and your posts have been very helpful in refining the spec for the proposed purchase - a Roomster SE. Our Mk1 Octy estate and both our Fabia estates have been diesel. But I'm probably going for the 1.2 TSI 105PS DSG having read the comments about short, cold runs and diesels. We live in the Channel Islands (natives, not tax exiles!) and no trip lasts more than 20 minutes, and mostly at 30mph if there's not too many tractors sharing the road. Although our cars get taken for holidays in England a couple of times a year, I reckon petrol is the right way to go - particularly as hubby prefers automatic gearboxes. I'm prepared to compromise, so long as I get the sunroof! But we have really enjoyed our diesel cars, and changing back to petrol feels a bit odd. Please reassure me, someone.

By the way, your news that the Roomster is to be remodelled like a VW box is dreadful. Skoda owners are far too individual for that.

Hi Edna and welcome to Briskoda.

I stumbled across Briskoda four years ago when researching the purchase of my Roomster.  The help given by fellow briskodians proved priceless.  For example, I had not realised the centre rear headrest was optional and expensive to retro-fit.  

The sunroof on mine was an expensive option - but I love it.  I would not want a Roomster without one.

I love diesels and have owned them exclusively for many years.  But for the reasons you have given, my next Roomster will be petrol, and most probably 1.2TSI DSG.

You may want to consider roof rails for your SE.  You will not be able to fit a roof rack without them and in my opinion, they improve the look of the Roomster.  They, too are expensive to retro-fit.

The spare wheel is optional.  The standard issue is a can of goo that *might* temporarily repair a puncture - and at the same time render the tyre irreparable by conventional means.

I love my Roomster and (with the possible exception of the Yeti) cannot think of any other car I would rather own.

• Administrators

Welcome,

It used to be the case 5+ years ago, you needed to be doing more than 30k a year to make diesel economically viable. Thats in pure pounds and pence terms of course.

I think that figure is possibly higher now. I'm switching to petrol, dont' do the miles. Some prefer the ease of long range/the torque, but emissions dpf, etc etc all count against.

Good comments re the rails, I'd forgotten about that while searching myself thanks!

Hi Edna and welcome to Briskoda.

I stumbled across Briskoda four years ago when researching the purchase of my Roomster.  The help given by fellow briskodians proved priceless.  For example, I had not realised the centre rear headrest was optional and expensive to retro-fit.  

The sunroof on mine was an expensive option - but I love it.  I would not want a Roomster without one.

I love diesels and have owned them exclusively for many years.  But for the reasons you have given, my next Roomster will be petrol, and most probably 1.2TSI DSG.

You may want to consider roof rails for your SE.  You will not be able to fit a roof rack without them and in my opinion, they improve the look of the Roomster.  They, too are expensive to retro-fit.

The spare wheel is optional.  The standard issue is a can of goo that *might* temporarily repair a puncture - and at the same time render the tyre irreparable by conventional means.

I love my Roomster and (with the possible exception of the Yeti) cannot think of any other car I would rather own.

Welcome Edna

I'll echo most  all of what Robjon says.

• Roof rails -  a must have. Roomsters without them look kind of 'bald'
  • 1.2DSG Petrol - ideal for your travelling needs. I have a 1.9tdi PD105 that I'm happy with as it's a little more powerful than standard now :giggle:
  • Sunroof - EPIC. Mine was an ex-demonstrator with the roof fitted. It is not something I would have considered speccing if ordering from new, but a great thing to have.
  • A/C - I'm sure the SE has it as standard, but handy for cooling the cabin quickly as it does get quite very warm when parked because of the expanse of glass in the roof B)
  • Spare wheel - 50/50 really. I ran a stripped out modified Fabia vRS without a spare for sometime and was comfortable with the risk. My Roomster has a spare so I carry one. The wife's Touran does not have one so I sourced one on this forum for a recent trip abroad.

Hope the info helps :thumbup:

Hiy'all. Thanks for the warm welcome. Your suggestions and comments very helpful. Have been playig with the Skoda website car configurator and think I've a-l-m-o-s-t made my mind up [NB blonde, female, middle-aged, so it may take some time!]. The Roomie will be SE spec. Originally fancied the Scout, but decided against after reading about wheel size / ride comfort, plastic under-tray, and - worst of all - the sunroof was optional extra. I've got to get my act together soon because next week I'm flying in from the Channel Islands to the UK to visit my favourite Skoda garage (Wings of Peterborough) as they're having a tempting promotion. My family have bought 3 Fabias from them over the last few years, and saved between £1000-1700 each time on the Jersey price. Plus their aftercare is outstanding.