1.8T Turbo Whistling Noise

Hi all,

Just recently bought a very tidy 2004 vrs. Everything on it is pretty much immaculate, However I have never really done much with these engines being an old 8v GTi Golf freak, Our Vrs when accelerating makes quite a loud turbo noise, It doesnt seem down on power having driven a couple before commiting to buying one but just wanted to check this is normal.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Whooshing = normal (louder with a cold air intake)

Hissing = possible boost leak or leaking diverter valve

Whistling = Turbo might be on its way out

Does the car have standard exhaust, turbo intake pipe & diverter valve? If so, it shouldn't be very noisy. 

I'd say you're fine then.

If you want to be sure, post up a video of the noise that you're worried about. 

There is not a lot of sound deadening in the Octavias, even compared to Golf GTIs so they are a little louder...

I would not worry too much buddy as these cars do make a turbo noise when going up the rev range. Quite a few new owners all take a while to get used to it then they love it... :rofl: 

Sent from my Samsung S3