2.2 155HP TDCI Vs 2.0 150HP TDI fuel economy

8 year old, 74000 mile 2.2 litre 155hp Ford Mondeo ST TDCI was 0.5 to 1 mpg better than my brand new 2.0 150hp Octavia compared against the same journeys at same time of day and road conditions. Both cars weigh the same and are the same physical size so are actually good to compare against.

40.5 mpg Ford. 39.5 mpg Skoda

Ok, Octavia is DSG and the Mondeo was manual but the Mondeo was driven much harder.

There's progress for you!

Or maybe the 2.2 ford unit is a seriously good engine that modern VAG units just can't compete with.

Not impressed, thought I'd be getting 10 to 20 % better economy in the Octavia.

Going up to Glasgow on Tuesday so will see what motorway mpg is like

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Can't believe how much more thirsty DSG makes the Octavia than the manual! I would have thought that you should have got 50+ mpg, at worst unless you drive it like you stole it. I was getting around 48 mpg from an 08 manual transmission BMW 123d - and that had a 204 bhp 2 litre Diesel engine!

My first fill up of my Octavia returned a fuel consumption of 54 mpg, I'm now getting over 60 mpg so yes, it will improve when it loosens up. Now done 2,800 miles.

Did you have the mondy from new as with the milage it's done now it should be just run in whereas your octy won't be. I'm guessing it doesn't have a dpf either? And with dsg too it's not exactly a fair fight is it!

Personally unless the driver has to do loads of stop start motoring I can't see dsg offers much in the way of driving pleasure unless pleasure means being lazy or pretending your lewis hamilton. To me theres a certain amount of pleasure to be had making 'good progress' in a manual matching your throttle and road speed to make smooth changes. Sorry if thats a bit old frat mentality

Personally unless the driver has to do loads of stop start motoring I can't see dsg offers much in the way of driving pleasure unless pleasure means being lazy or pretending your lewis hamilton. To me theres a certain amount of pleasure to be had making 'good progress' in a manual matching your throttle and road speed to make smooth changes. Sorry if thats a bit old frat mentality

Although our Octavia is manual, our sports car has a double clutch transmission and it is amazing. Lightning fast changes up and down with no loss of power between shifts unlike a manual. If the road speed permits when overtaking it will kick down three gears in an instant. I'm sold on the benefits of a good double clutch 'box and wouldn't go back to a manual in such a car. There is no way a manual equipped car would be anywhere near as quick as the same car with a DSG.

We went with a manual in the Octavia for better economy and reading this thread very glad that we did!

Edited by Timoctav

Yep, I fully appreciate the benefits of dsg from an acceleration point of view just that it seems a little sterile to me. Perhaps it goes back to my biking days... Leathers and helmet long gone so I need something to hang on to!

As Timoctav says, the DSG is brilliant. In my experience on the Mk2, fuel economy on the DSG is 10%-12% down on the manual. However it does depend where you drive it.

For instance on my (very) early morning commute on A road/motorways, I can get 58 mpg on my DSG. That's on a 2.0 TDI PD engine.....which is not as economical as any of the newer CR engines. However if you take it into town with stop start traffic, economy is seriously compromised on the DSG.....In this situation you are lucky to see 40 mpg.

In the cruise the DSG is not far off a manual in terms of economy, but seems to suffer badly compared to a manual in city traffic.    

Yes I can appreciate the interaction with a good manual transmission and the satisfaction of a perfectly executed shift has - rather than relying on a paddle-shift and electronics.

I absolutely see your point on this. Until I'm sitting in a traffic jam, then it's an auto all the way...

• Like 1

Ford Mondeo, like most Ford models, are good on mpgs as Fords generally are aerodynamic and high geared.

2.2D acceleration is quite poor even compared to the 2 litre 150 hp Octy which I looks the best diesel version.

The Octy is clearly loaded with much more equipment and strength making it a much safer place to be.

Once the bores have bed in and the exhaust gas flowed itself with a bit of carbon the Octy should pick up at least a couple of MPG and you should be happier with it.

It is the tiny fuel tank that I find odd particularly for the petrols.  Hope it will accept a few extra litres using the expansion area.

DSG box is the old DQ250 system that is due replacement by one of the 7 speed units but Skoda will be th last to hang on to.