Columbus and firmware.

Dear Illuminocty,

I have spent the last few nights but don't tell SWMBO, and days, but don't tell the boss, looking into upgrading the firmware and then maps in my Columbus.

In a 58 pre-FL I've got a 1Z0xxxxxA unit with FW 1004.

So you can see why I want to upgrade!

Got some good info from members on here, (Cheers Karl), but reading into it on my-gti it seems a lot less straight forward.

How far 'up to date' can I reliably go with the FW and Maps? When or even why does my revision 'A' change to something else?

Oh and of course what are my chances of bricking it.

Cheer in advance for any info.

Matt.

I had the same unit and firmware as you (similar age Columbus probably) and I successfully updated to 3814 and then a few weeks later to 4024 firmware with no issues and substantially improved functionality.  You will need to be able to reinstall maps, version 7.2 or higher to get the full functionality (I'm on version 8), and any music will need re-loading too.

The firmware needs to be the stuff specifically modified for A revision units.  The revision of course doesn't really change, but the details on the unit are updated as if it is a newer revision. 

Here is a thread linked to 3814: http://vwnavi.com/volkswagen-factory-fit-navigation-systems/rns-510-mfd3-navi-system/firmware/13672-unofficial-272x-software-swl-recovery-cd.html.

Here is a link to 4024 for older units, but its not the one I used so can't be sure of its suitability: http://www.rnsfirmware.com/firmware-4020-for-older-european-rns510-units/.

Bricking it should not be an issue if the Columbus isn't knock off and you burn a disc with the right software to good quality media. Of course, it carries a small risk which you take, but in my opinion the increased functionality was worth it.

Hope that helps

Adam

• Like 1

Adam is in the know with 1Z0 units and modified firmware, so...

^^^ What he said!

Although I know several members, myself included, who have had good results with really cheap media burned very slowly.

I don't think there is much between 38xx & 40xx firmware, but the latter seems to marginally quicker and has more options for entering destinations on sat nav (my 38xx had some 'buttons' greyed out that were restored with 4020).

Adam: is the modified firmware changed to overcome battery drain as well as for older (1Z0) units?

I believe it is yes.  A member on here (I forget his name) recently didn't need to upgrade the gateway (despite having a 2005 car) with these firmwares.

Adam

Great answer Adam! Clear and concise! 

Cheers!

You can't help me out with the Lotto numbers for this Friday can you?

• 3 weeks later...

Done!

Firmware upgraded to 3814.

Thanks for all the help and info recieved; KBPhoto you pointed me in the right direction, adamal are the man in the know!!! Cheers!

During this learning curve.. or learning cliff; I have taken advantage of many opportunities to air my satnav inexperience. So I do appreciate everyones patience... A lot!

I am now looking to upgrade the maps to v9 inc speed cameras (7920).

Anyone willing to recommend a reliable source of supply?

Matt.

Done!

Firmware upgraded to 3814.

Thanks for all the help and info recieved; KBPhoto you pointed me in the right direction, adamal are the man in the know!!! Cheers!

During this learning curve.. or learning cliff; I have taken advantage of many opportunities to air my satnav inexperience. So I do appreciate everyones patience... A lot!

I am now looking to upgrade the maps to v9 inc speed cameras (7920).

Anyone willing to recommend a reliable source of supply?

Matt.

pm'ed