Handling on Octavia VRS MkII

So I've finally come round to my Octavia vRS after needing to buy an estate.  At first I was disappointed compared with my Focus ST, performance-wise.  However, the Shark remap a few months ago has made me much happier (much smoother power delivery than my remapped Focus) and probably not so far off the Focus in terms of speed/acceleration now

I do feel that the handling of the Octavia lets it down though, steering isn't sharp and there's a lot of body roll.

I had Eibach springs on my Focus and was tempted to go this route with my Octavia.  Reading posts on here though (and having limited funds), it seems I might be better just going for a rear ARB instread in terms of performance gains for cost.....any thoughts?  Would stiffening the RARB and not the front cause problems with handling?

The Rear ARB makes a massive difference as will an anti lift kit for the front wishbones. The anti lift kit will help with wheel hop under acceleration and turn in for corners. 

Both are around £160 each plus fitting. 

Suspension wise, fitting springs alone can make for a bit of a 'bouncier' ride but look nice, fitting cheap coilovers will sacrifice comfort and only really by spending a few quid on some KW V3's, H&R or a decent Bilstein setup will you retain comfort. 

Rob

I seriously wouldnt waste your money with the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit.  The improvements aren't nearly as big as say with springs, or an anti roll bar and you would be better off with the superpro anti lift kit bushing instead.  Also they dont solve wheel hop either, uprated lower engine mounts solve that.

I spent alot of money on different setups with my Octavia vRS so have a fairly decent understanding in hindsight of what works best and whats worth avoiding if your on a budget and want the biggest impact improvements for minimal outlay.

What is your budget?

thanks vRSy

I was really hoping to get an upgrade that could make significant improvements for about £300 if possible.  i realise it's not going to get the best, but I think it's probably the best mod i could go for to improve performance.  i got the modding bug on previous cars, but am determined to stop at this 3rd mod for my octavia!!

my thoughts are currently to just try RARB and see how i get on...

FWIW I also came from a Focus ST.  Had both heavily modified, the Octavia was the much better car both to live with and on track in the end.

Thats a limited budget but its workable for some big impact mods.  There are three big handling/traction issues that need addressing with the vRS:  Traction when turning, understeer and wheel hop.  Adjustable ball joints will reduce understeer and give you more traction earlier in the corner to get on the power gives masses, uprated lower engine mount will stop the engine rocking under heavy acceleration which will stop wheel hop.

I would go two routes with £300

Option 1:

• Whiteline 24mm adjustable ARB
  • Superpro adjustable front ball joints (for an additional 1 degree of negative camber which makes a HUGE difference)

Option 2

• Vibratechniks lower engine mount (Road version)

Ideally all three would be perfect. 

vRSy very helpful thanks :happy:

- really interested that you think the vRS was better than the ST in the end.....I obviously need more mods still :giggle:   hopeully next mods will improve the traction/handling whihc i think is pretty poor in comparsion to competitors.  not slating the car, i like it, just think it's a flaw.  i have to remember why i got the car though, needed an estate!

i think the RARB and ball joints is probably the best for me personally.  i think on a day-to-day basis decreasing the understeer would be of more benefit

I agree.  

Bear in mind you need to compare the different tyres on the two different cars if your comparing.  What tyres are you running on the vRS?

My current fabia vRS when running on Conti's is woeful but on the Federal 595RSRs tyres its awesome.  You could quite easily ruin the awesome handling of a Megane RS250 by sticking a set of ditchfinders on it.

yeah, good point.  used to run Conti's but found they only last a few 1,000!

Birdgestones on the vRS at the mo, but likley I'll change when they're worn

thanks for the PM, appreaciate it

FWIW I also came from a Focus ST.  Had both heavily modified, the Octavia was the much better car both to live with and on track in the end.

Thats a limited budget but its workable for some big impact mods.  There are three big handling/traction issues that need addressing with the vRS:  Traction when turning, understeer and wheel hop.  Adjustable ball joints will reduce understeer and give you more traction earlier in the corner to get on the power gives masses, uprated lower engine mount will stop the engine rocking under heavy acceleration which will stop wheel hop.

I would go two routes with £300

Option 1:

• Superpro adjustable front ball joints (for an additional 1 degree of negative camber which makes a HUGE difference)

Option 2

• Vibratechniks lower engine mount (Road version)

Ideally all three would be perfect. 

I'm seriously thinking of the RARB, how does fitting the Superpro ball joints compare as a relative improvement compared to std RARB to whiteline?