auto lights on in the bright sunshine

Hi all

My 2010 VRS seems to want it's dipped beam on when switched to auto, even in the middle of the day in sunshine - any ideas why or how to fix it?  It isn't permanent, but the majority of the time, and I don't think this was the case when I picked it up a few months ago.  Maybe it is freaked out by sun in Britain.

Matt

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

Hi. I thought I had a similar issue when I first got mine, but from reading several threads on here it appears that "they all do it". Must be the way Skoda set things up.

It's nothing to worry about and you'll get used to it, I did :yes:

The problem tends to be bright light hitting the sensor; it would appear this causes some confusion and the lights turn on :)

You could just switch them to the 'off' position, but I do concede that this rather defeats the object of auto lights!

IIRC it's something to do with the contrast/ ie light to dark so when you drive through shadows it's triggering the auto lights.

Mine's exactly the same (and the 2010 car before was also) so nothing to worry about. Just live with it, or if it ****es you off then click the switch to off.

I just leave mine in auto the whole time and don't worry about it - life's too short etc.

• Like 1

Remember, that they come on at a certain speed too!

Exactly. But if I remember well, they turn on at 140km/h which is pretty useless as 140km/h is beyond any speed limit anywhere.

Is there a way to set the "trigger" speed at a lower level like, say, 110km/h? I have MaxiDot but did not find an setting for this.

They come on when I am on the motorway! As for lights on in bright sunshine I have always turned them on anyway because if the sun is behind you, you will be easier to spot to oncoming traffic

Only had the auto lights come on in bright sunshine a couple of times. Giving the glass a good clean over the sensor has always sorted it. Use glass cleaner or meths to shift stubborn grime. Don't agree it's a normal feature. Find they switch on in low light before I would have put them on manually but if it makes me more visible that's a plus.

Visibility can actually be reduced in bright sunshine.

There have been arguments discussions on here before as to whether them turning on in bright conditions is deliberate or is in fact simply a scenario that is confusing the sensor.

My auto lights come on too every now and then. I wouldn't have a problem with if it wasn't for the  :swear: headlight sprayers. Just because I want my windscreen washed doesn't mean I need half a bucket of wiper fluid all over the car. 

Why those aren't on a separate button is beyond me.