Comfort difference - 16'' vs 17''

I know most of you here (or at least most of 'vRS guys') will laugh a bit now but for me it's not all about the looks.

Reading topics about 19'' alloys etc makes me wonder how can someone drive a car with such rims down a ****ty road filled with potholes and patches of bad tarmac without some back pain afterwards...  ;) 

But this is not what this topic is about anyway...

My question is how much difference in ride comfort is there (none/not much/noticeable/a lot...) between 16'' (205/55 R16) and 17'' (215/45 R17) rims? 

Is there anyone that had the opportunity to ride both in quick succession one after the other on the same stretch of road?

Although I'm gonna spend quite a lot on toys (Columbus nav, Canton, panoramic sunroof, bi-xenons etc...) I'm not very keen on having 17''. Would like to have them though since they look much better than standard 16'' obv but my fear is I'm gonna regret it if the ride turns out too uncomfortable (19'' owners should be laughing by now  :rofl: )

Anyway please advise me  :think:

I could comment but ultimately only you know your comfort zone. Every person is different, my octavia has 18" with sports suspension and I have no regrets, but my dad rode in it and commented on its firmness. If you have some doubts the best thing to do is search out one with 17" wheels to road test and settle your mind.

I had 16" on my Fabia sport and then upgraded to 17" trinity ones from the Monte Carlo. I'm glad I did. I prefer the 17" not only for the look but also for the ride. The car handles much better and ride is more comfy. Few months later after fitting my 17" I also lowered the car by 35mm...:)

On the Vrs Going from 18" to 17" was a massive comfort increase, with little or nor perceivable loss in progressiveness or handling.

My TVR has 16" rear and 15" front and very stiff suspension but is also very comfy. (On the same roads that destroyed my 18" above)

I would say that your tyre choice is more important than wheel size, but that, perhaps 16" may be a little small for such a heavy car with spirited driving....

Edit: Also no 17" option on the VRS has ruled me out this year...

Edited by zacherynuk

I sure will test both versions if possible and see for myself. At the end it all comes down to personal preference as you all say.

I had 16" on my Fabia sport and then upgraded to 17" trinity ones from the Monte Carlo. I'm glad I did. I prefer the 17" not only for the look but also for the ride. The car handles much better and ride is more comfy. Few months later after fitting my 17" I also lowered the car by 35mm... :)

And you still think it's comfy? :)

Actually the Skoda 17" wheels on the Octavia III runs 225/45/17 (not 215) This link may give you a better overall view as you scale up the rim sizes http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Yes I made a mistake 225 tyre width is correct but I think this doesn't effect comfort level really only improves traction, handling etc.

I sure will test both versions if possible and see for myself. At the end it all comes down to personal preference as you all say.

And you still think it's comfy? :)

Yes I made a mistake 225 tyre width is correct but I think this doesn't effect comfort level really only improves traction, handling etc.

Yes, it's comfy and i like it...The car looks much better too.

I have come across this interesting Tyre data calculator which among others things calculates some sort of ''tyre suspension comfort value''.

If you punch in the numbers for different tyre sizes you get a result on the scale from 0 (very bad) to 10 (very good). Quote: ''The value depends on the height of the tyre shoulder and this dictates the suspension comfort using the base values gained from trials with different tyres. These values are not the result of any ETRTO standards ''

So this is what you get for different tyres (comfort level):

-> 6.5 (205/55 R16)

-> 4.7 (225/45 R17)

-> 2.9 (225/40 R18)

-> 1.9 (235/35 R19)

-> 1.1 (225/35 R19)

This figures don't say much really but just for a feeling they are ok I guess...

EDIT: typo...

Edited by PekoSI

I have an octavia 2.0 on order hopefully for sept1 collection, and am trading in a SEAT EXEO estate, which I love' hope I,m not making a boo boo. However this exeo was on 17 inch alloys and I swapped them in winter for 16 inch wheels, what a difference in ride and handling, the 17 inch wheels never ever went back on, although they will for the trade in and hopefully the 16s will go onto the skoda in winter. I was going to purchase a superb but the misuse said the seats were uncomfortable, which I had to agree with.

Test drove 2.oo TDI DSG on 17 inch wheels then one on 16 inch. Big difference in cabin  noise and ride comfort.I am ordering with16s no brainer really especially as they are much cheaper on tyre costs as well.

I believe you both and I'm also not trading comfort for the looks so that's pretty much done deal for me as well. Tyre costs are lower for 16'' wheels for sure so that's another plus. Yep 16'' will do :)