Future potential [used]Greenline owner

Hi All

I have been looking at buying a used fabia estate as it seems to fit my bill of reliable, cheap to run family car with plenty of space. From reading it seems to fit those criteria.

I have been looking at a used 08 plate greenline 1.4 PD in metalic green at Warrington Skoda - the dealer seem to be lacking in details about what spec the car is.

Is there anywhere I can get a standard spec list of what came on the greenline in 2008? 

The dealer says that the greenline came with ESP and I have found conflicted reports on the net, some spec lists say no, some say yes and some say optional - Does anybody no if it did? The dealer says they all had them and the option was for an off switch. Is there a way of telling in the vehicle whether it has ESP?

Is there anything I should know about the fabia estate, or anything I should be looking for as tell-tale signs of problems?

The car has done 45k and the dealer wanted £6500, already said he will go down to £6k and i'm hoping he would go further. 

I haven't test driven it yet - I'm going to go for another look tonight.

Thank you for reading and maybe helping me?

Lrmulli

Yep - I've seen this and already trying to use as leverage - but getting the "but this has 12mnths warranty etc etc"

I've actually spoke to the owner of that one aswell - I'm the guys fallback plan if his current sale falls through.

does it have a DPF? as the PD engine was not designed for DPF it was fitted as an add-on to get through new emission rules,  I think some did and some don't

if so does the warranty cover the DPF, they should be good for 100k miles or more apparently,

does it have a DPF? as the PD engine was not designed for DPF it was fitted as an add-on to get through new emission rules, I think some did and some don't

if so does the warranty cover the DPF, they should be good for 100k miles or more apparently,

Pretty certain it will have dpf, doubt it's covered on warranty as it will be a perishable

I did the deal, at £5200 + my car which they valued at 350 but I had value at closer to 600 so I got it for about 5600ish as there valuation of my megane was probably fair as its a heap of junk.

I pick it up on Friday, still not sure about esp as I couldn't find a switch. Looking forward to getting it. I think the gearing will take a bit of getting used to but it shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a good car

Thank you to everyone who has helped

Louis

check the sticker in the boot and handbook, there are decoders for all those 3 character codes that will tell you every option and standard item on the car

http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

Enter each code separated by a semicolon, and click decode to generate a list of installed options. (eg. 1G9;1XX)

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 1

check the sticker in the boot and handbook, there are decoders for all those 3 character codes that will tell you every option and standard item on the car

http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

Enter each code separated by a semicolon, and click decode to generate a list of installed options. (eg. 1G9;1XX)

Great - I will do this when I collect on Friday - thank you

I collected my car on friday - and so far I love it!

I went and filled up with Shell FuelSave diesel on saturday and reset the trip computer.

I had a long weekend off work this weekend so I've had a few runs out in it, with wife baby pram, car seat etc etc all fitting in nicely and had a run out to Southport on Sunday morning (a mix of mway and A roads) and on Monday I had a run up to Llangollen in north Wales to visit my grand parents which is is probably a 50/50 split of mway & dual carridgeways and hilly country roads. So according to the computer I have achieved 71mpg so far which i am very pleased with.

I used the website provided above by bluecar1  to get the spec of the car and interestingly it looks like a few alterations must have been done post delivery as there is no mention of spare wheel on the spec yet it has one - and even more interestingly it has parking sensors which weren't specified.

I'm wondering if the parking sensors are after market ones because i read you get a display on the dance screen when reversing with the factory fit ones. On mine I get no display but seem to have a speaker on the interior roofline just where the hatch opens which beeps and flashes red when in reverse - i've also noticed that the music volume doesn't reduce when reversing - does this sound like an aftermarket set? 

It took me no time at all getting used to the gearing - I'm coming from a 1.9 diesel Megane and the gearing really isn't that different - although I have tried to put it into 6th a few times on the motorway :-0 

Thanks for everybody's help on this thread - it has been much appreciated.

Lrmulli

That's the dealer fitted reversing sensors -I had them on mine and no they are not connected the the stereo in any way so you will not get a display or volume drop, They work very well anyway. Congratulations on your new car and I wish you all the best with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good until my journey to work this morning saw me get a DPF light. I didn't expect to see one as I thought my regular journeys would have been enough to keep it clear.

I was driving to work early this morning so the roads were clear, it's about 13 mile run and the light came on (or at least I only noticed it) about 2 miles from work - Today I took the A road route and was probably doing about 40mph for the whole journey, For the last 2 miles where I could I upped the revs to about 3000rpm and was prepared to drive past work until the light wen't out. But just before I got to the turn to work the light went out so I just drove into work as normal.

My usual daily commute is 13 miles A roads on the way in probably averaging 30mph, and on the way home about 5 miles a road, 10miles clearish motorway - should that be enough to keep it clear without seeing a light?

I've had the car for 13 days and driven 500 miles - including 2 longer runs out (4 really as there and back were separate journeys) - so i was expecting it to be clear.

Should I be concerned about the light coming on? or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

Lrmulli

Edited by lrmulli

Maybe give your Diesel a try from someplace else.

Give the 'Shell Fuel save' a swerve and just try Super Market diesel and see how things are.

Sorry if i missed it on in the posts,

How many miles has the car done.

& have you given it a bit of a blast on these longer journeys just to give things a bit of a clean out, and a good warming up.?

Might actually be quite a clogged DPF already & may need replaced at sometime in the near future,

that can be why people get rid of a  car.

ie the DPF light can have been showing a bit too often for the previous owners liking.

(It is something you need to budget for when buying used Diesels, and if not needing doing, that is a bonus.)

george

Maybe give your Diesel a try from someplace else.

Give the 'Shell Fuel save' a swerve and just try Super Market diesel and see how things are.

Sorry if i missed it on in the posts,

How many miles has the car done.

& have you given it a bit of a blast on these longer journeys just to give things a bit of a clean out, and a good warming up.?

Might actually be quite a clogged DPF already & may need replaced at sometime in the near future,

that can be why people get rid of a  car.

ie the DPF light can have been showing a bit too often for the previous owners liking.

(It is something you need to budget for when buying used Diesels, and if not needing doing, that is a bonus.)

george

Thanks for your answer George

I haven't really been blasting it at all, I was trying to see best mpg available.

The car has 43k on the clock

I really hope you are wrong about it needing replacing as it is not something I have budgeted for.

This is the first time i've had the light in 500miles.

Now my concern has turned to worry.

Edited by lrmulli

Chill,

43,000 miles is nothing.

Try the change away from Shell Diesel first and a little 'Italian Tuning'.

Ignore Hypermileing for a week or 2. & just drive and enjoy.

george

Ok great

Thanks for the advice George

Louis

Will the DPF light show when it is regening, or does it regen with no visible warning. Handbook seems a bit vague and I know on ours that the exhaust note can get a bit deeper with no visual indications - possible regen, but SWMBO says that the light is showning on the dash.