New 110LS owner

Skomatt

Hi all

I've just posted my intro in the "Introduce yourself" section.

I hope I don't live to regret it but I've just purchased a 1974 110LS saloon to restore. It seems reasonably solid actually but the paint is awful having been resprayed quite badly some years ago.

Not sure what colour is, I'm leaning towards "dark green??" believe it or not despite it looking blue (mid blue?). If anyone can help with the colour or any other advice, I'd welcome it.

Anyway, here are the first pictures of it:

2013-08-17113657.jpg

2013-08-17113731.jpg

2013-08-17113714.jpg

First plan is to get it through an MOT so I can register it. From there, who knows..........

Also looking for panels/parts as I go along if anyone has any stashed away. Two outer RHD headlights would be a great start!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 3

Hi Matt,

I'm liking that & should certainly make for an interesting/challenging project.

It's very similar to one that sits on a driveway not far from where I live but that's all it's done for a while!

I often go out of my way to drive past for a nose but no great signs of progress yet?

Pleasure to see the older models up for some TLC! :happy:

I'd hazard a guess its Skoda Turqouise, 5187, a colour available from 8/73. Looks too light to be 4466 Laguna blue - no relation to the mediocre Renault of the same name ;).

Hi all

Many thanks for the positive comments.

Rob, think car was built around June 1974 so the Turquoise 5187 looks the most likely. I'll take some better photos of the colour in daylight tomorrow. Would anyone know if the colour code would be located on the car anywhere?

Jay - definitely interested in anything at the moment for it. What might you have?

I've had it running today on a positive note and got it starting on the key after repairing the activtor wire on back of the starter motor. Got a new water pump winging its way to me (mines leaking) and top hose is dripping badly too, need to source.

Anyway, won't be able to work on it again until the weekend but will update accordingly.

Cheers

Matt

That looks great! I assume you have the original papers for the car to register it? Shame it's not a teensy bit older and you'd get free road tax. It looks as though it just needs a good scrub and a re-spray, but it's always hard to tell from photos. If you need new parts Skoparts Int is your man - he has sources in CZ.

Hello again.

Well managed to spend a day looking over the car today and also had a bit of a play. My genuine Skoda workshop manaul arrived in the week and has benn invaluable today.

1st job was to drain the fuel tank and remove the 15 yer old fuel. I was well impressed the tank had a drain bung. Removed absolutely fine and fuel came out crystal clear, no rust. Doesn't old fuel just have a certain smell? Also removed the tank unit and had a peek inside. Tank looks very well indeed and pretty damn clean.

I then fitted new fuel pipe in engine bay and reconnected fuel pump back onto tank (had been using a bottle to move it!). Cleaned out the fuel bowl and also installed an inline small clear filter for observation purposes. Fuel now being drawn successfully from tank.

I then replaced the points & condensor and cleaned the distributor at the same time. Set gap to correct dwell and tried starting. Flooded. Removed and cleaned plugs (have yet to source them) and bingo!, choke working fine and idles perfectly off choke now too. Slight misfire when revving up but plugs are far past their best as too are the plug leads.

Ok, engine running and shopping list created so I tackled some electric gremlins with lights and horn.

Horn was only working when main beam flashed for some strange reason. Turned out earth wire from horn to switch was open circuit so previous owner had put in a wire from the main beam flash (as a feed) and earthed horns at front bumper.

Found the feed wire for the horn still there so reconnected this the reused the new wire and transferred it back to the correct position on the indicator stalk and horn now sorted.

Next, no dipped beam. Main beam working in a fashion but nothing dipped whatsoever. Again followed wiring diagram and found feeds to light switch fine. Feed from light switch to dim/dip stalk switch ok too as was the permanent live for main beam when lights off.

Once main beam was activated, power to fuses 7 & 8 so all fine there. Inner spotlamps also fully operational and look tres cool.

Nothing though whatsoever at fuses 5 & 6 for dipped (fed after passing through switch). Checked continuity between black dipped wire on and black wire feeding fuses 5 & 6, perfect. Seems to point towards faulty dim/dip stalk switch on steering column unfortunately.

Then had to call it a day but very pleased with progress in a few hours. Still can't find any structual corrosion, I'll keep looking!!

Shopping list so far if anyone can help:

Dim/dip/flash switch/stalk (rhs of steering column)

Ignition lock assembly with key(s) - mine doesn't like giving you the key back!

Door lock/barrel for LH front door with key(s)

Rubber pipe from filler neck to tank

Metal coolant pipe that runs from water pump under spark plugs along head and down to heater unit.

Bonnet (front boot)

Any panels that are going really!

Rear lamps/lenses

RHD outer headlamps

Other stuff I need I seem to be having reasonable success so far. If anyone can help with the above, please do get in touch.

Will have some more photo's next time too and a video of the engine running.

Cheers

Matt

Ok. Managed to get time with the camera today and upload a few photos. I've also included a few from the buyer when I bought it.

No work on it today except source some 7 inch mini halogen headlamps with side light in built which I think may work to convert it to RHD and still fit in the original frames.

Anyway, as promised, some more photos:

2013-08-25152501.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

2013-08-25152523.jpg

2013-08-25152939.jpg

sSkoda7.jpg

Skoda4.jpg

Skoda5.jpg

skoda6.jpg

The powerhouse:

Skoda1.jpg

The floors:

Skoda8.jpg

Skoda9.jpg

The bad bit (really bad bit actually)

2013-08-25152706.jpg

Old colour and poor respray on top:

2013-08-25152646.jpg

2013-08-25152640.jpg

Proof it runs!! (if the video works!)

th_2013-08-24161416.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for all the positive comments about it.

Matt

• Like 1

:happy:  Sorry to post what looks like an advert, [i'm posting this to help, not for my benefit]  but I would strongly advise joining the Skoda Owners' Club and contacting a guy called Paul Wyatt. What he doesn't know about S series Skoda's isn't worth knowing and he has an extensive stock of parts. He also imports hard to find parts from Czech Republic.

• 2 weeks later...

Shopping list so far if anyone can help:

Dim/dip/flash switch/stalk (rhs of steering column)

Ignition lock assembly with key(s) - mine doesn't like giving you the key back!

Door lock/barrel for LH front door with key(s)

Rubber pipe from filler neck to tank

Metal coolant pipe that runs from water pump under spark plugs along head and down to heater unit.

Bonnet (front boot)

Any panels that are going really!

Rear lamps/lenses

RHD outer headlamps

Other stuff I need I seem to be having reasonable success so far. If anyone can help with the above, please do get in touch.

Will have some more photo's next time too and a video of the engine running.

Cheers

Matt

Some of the items you are looking for can be found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/boroskoda/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

• 3 weeks later...

Get it mot, running reliable and leave the paint as is...maybe, and it might get shot on here as a newbie, but maybe slam it down...lovely, unusual, retro runner...I love the shape of these older skodas..

Hi all

Firstly, thanks for all the positive comments and, to clarify one thing, there ain't no slammin goin' on here. My preference is for standard vehicles now, factory fresh where possible with the occasional 'sensible upgrade' rather than modification. Sorry Tayskod!

Anyway, after a few weeks of doing nothing to the Skoda, finally got some time today to do a bit of pre-welding prep. I know I had a few holes up front and I wanted to get a better idea of how bad along with knowing that everything came apart for when welding commences in a few weeks.

So today's task was to get the front wings off, front subframe 'released' and a bit of wire brushing to see how far it stretched. Obviously, a few photo's were in order:

2013-09-28104434.jpg

2013-09-28114400.jpg

2013-09-28131217.jpg

2013-09-28114433.jpg

2013-09-28114419.jpg

2013-09-28132152.jpg

2013-09-28132214.jpg

2013-09-28132226.jpg

2013-09-28133007.jpg

Overall, I was really impressed especially around the top of the inner wings ath the base of the scuttle panel. Subframe bolts all came out easily too and have been refit after a good clean and lube.

Tricky bit though is on the right hand front where it meets the front subframe mount. Need to sus out how will get round that and whether to remove mount totally or leave in place at top end and slide in behind it.

Anyway, more updates soon. Tomorrow, rear wings coming off to inspect inside there too.

Matt

Hi again

Well more glorious weather allowed me to have another few hours on the Skoda today. Mission today was to get the rear wings off to check around for more holes I suspected lurking at the rear of the sills.

I also wanted to power brush the the front end to see the extent of the corrosion from yesterday.

Having got the rear wings off, I was again pleasantly suprised at the extent of the corrosion. Yes, it will need fettling with but the car on the whole is in far better condition corrosion wise that my previous projects and others that I help out on regularly. (Rover SD1 & VW Scirocco's)

Anyway, pictures say a thousand words (apparently?)

First - yesterdays front sills after a bit of a power wire brush:

2013-09-29142722.jpg

2013-09-29142802.jpg

2013-09-29142646-1.jpg

And now the right hand rear:

2013-09-29153213.jpg

2013-09-29153225.jpg

2013-09-29153243.jpg

And the left hand rear:

2013-09-29164258.jpg

2013-09-29164248.jpg

And a quick peek on the underside of the rear scuttle panel:

2013-09-29164339.jpg

2013-09-29164330.jpg

The car seems to have underseal literally EVERYWHERE. In fact, it's really hard to get off as it's of the non hardening type.

Anyway, lots of parts to order now and a date to sort out with my welding buddy to get things moving. Hopefully we'll have the welding sorted within the next month to six weeks. I can't wait to get this done and then schutz the underside, inner arches and 'hidden bits'. I can then works towards MOT and registaring it before full bodywork commences.

Update again soon............

Afternoon

Just popped in from outside for a spot of lunch.

It's amazing what you can achieve in two hours..........................

2013-10-05134540.jpg

2013-10-05134525.jpg

2013-10-05134547.jpg

From really 'manky' to rather spotless complete with all new seals and pistons to boot!!

Just got to make the brake pipes when I get my pipe bender back off my mate.

Quick sandwich then off to do the other side........................

Edited by Skomatt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the time has finally arrived for to wave good buy to the Tin Worm with the start of the welding.

Managed to transport it over to my mate's unit last Saturday where it now sits amongst other resto projects that I seem to be involved with too!

2013-11-23145609.jpg

Then today, I went down to strip the car down so grinding and welding can commence.

First job was to remove front wings, front subframe and fuel tank:

2013-11-30114219.jpg

2013-11-30114229.jpg

2013-11-30114306.jpg

Fuel tank in excellent condition and the plan is to completely overhaul the front subframe back at home with all new bushes, new king pins, new discs, new wheel bearings and new steering linkages. All parts sat waiting in their packages to be fitted.

Next job was front to remove front doors, front seats and carpets to make access easier and remove fire risk:

2013-11-30150446.jpg

2013-11-30150456.jpg

2013-11-30150504.jpg

2013-11-30150538.jpg

Bar the hole in right hand front floor, the rest is in amazing condition.

Rear wings next to come back off for rear sill end repair

2013-11-30150634.jpg

Then this is how I left it before I headed home:

2013-11-30155128.jpg

Anyway, that's all today. Welding starts in earnest in a fortnight with perhaps a few bits and bobs before then but hopefully front subframe rebuild starts this week in the evenings.

Update again soon...............

• Like 2

Ok then. Finally had response from Skoda Museum in Czech Republic confirming the colour code and build date.

Colour: 5187 – Turquoise

Build date: 8th July 1974

Congrat's to all of you for suggesting this colour and for help with colour charts. Today's job is now to check with my local paint suppliers for availability!

I did also manage to spend a few my hours on it on Monday and decided to remove the front panel and flat back a door to see how good/bad.........

2013-12-01153538-1.jpg

2013-12-01153554-1.jpg

Front panel is not original but new when fitted and is in excellent condition. Will have this sand blasted or similar to remove the nasty cheap paint that it's coated in before it gets its new paint from me.

Only used a 240 grade disc on a DA on the door to start with just to see how well adhered the respray is. I'm concerned cellulose is now on top of the original paint and I have seen a few nightmare resprays where new paint has reacted with that type of paint sitting beneath it.

2013-12-02153915.jpg

2013-12-02154006-1.jpg

It's in amazing condition for nearly 40 years old. No obvious rust or previous damage. Just a small dent on front swage line and pinhole in bottom rear corner that hasn't even perforated yet.

2013-12-02153929.jpg

2013-12-02153922.jpg

The other doors are of a similar condition too but do have corrosion in the corners of the lower edges about the size of a couple of 5p pieces. Watch this space on the way forward.........

Also, the front beam has now been fully degreased and pressure washed and is ready for stripping/overhauling. Pictures of progress to come over the next few weeks.

Catch you soon

Matt