Towbar-anyone had one fitted yet?

Started looking at getting a towbar fitted to my Octy iii (just for small trailer for going to tip etc. ... for some reason I've suddenly got all sensitive about just loading the car up with rubbish! !!!)

No towbar prep on the car, but that shouldn't be a problem. However I can't believe how much it looks like it's going to cost! Last time I had got one I think it was about £150 all in Incl fitting (was a while ago). Anyone got any recommendations. Towsure don't list one on website for the mkiii yet though I haven't tried ringing them. Looking to get a detachable one and really don't want any bumper cuts if at all possible.

Edited by matt-k918

My Dad has had one fitted to his by the stealership.  £650 for a detachable one.  The bar was a Witter one with the electrics from Westfailia.  Even though towbar prep was spec'd, they still had to rip apart half the trim apart in the car to fit another live feed to the front.  Towbar prep is only for single electrics not dual (ie charging caravan electrics while towing etc)

Managed to get the dealer to throw one in with the deal when I bought mine, just need to sort the electrics now so it charges the caravan as skoda dont do a kit for it yet they did on the fl. Cant imagine things have changed that much that they couldnt use the same kit

Skoda do do a kit. The OEM kit is supplied by Westfalia.

You need;

Vehicles without prep
'Permanent Plus' (sold seperately as part number 300 027 300 113) is an optional extra for the below wiring kit.
A charging line (sold seperately as part number 300 028 300 113) is an optional extra for the below wiring kit.
305 404 300 113

I had a towbar fitted to my yeti with vehicle specific wiring loom ( a must in my opinion). There was an issue with the coding which the installer could not fix so they sent me to the manufacturer/importer of the vehicle specific wiring for them to address the issue with the coding. It turns out the the guys who fixed my coding also install towbars. If I need a towbars fitting to my octy 3 I will definitely use these guys in Telford..

http://www.gentow.co.uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting for my new Octavia III to be delivered. Should be here in 3 weeks.

I'd like to get a towbar fitted once I get the car but am worried about the rear parking sensors 'seeing' the towbar whenever I'm reversing.

Has any one got any experience of this problem?

Is a removeable towbar the answer?

I was quoted £650 for a removable swan neck with 13 pin electrics using the towbar prep, by a Witter fitter. I believe that you also need a software tweak so the sensors don't pick up a trailer when it's attached.

• 1 month later...

Available from PF Jones (www.pfjones.co.uk). Westfalia detachable bar and full electrics £307 plus fitting. I did my Mk2 FL one and was easy. You can even download instructions before you buy to see how difficult. You will need to have the car coded either by Skoda dealer or friendly Briskodian with VCDS.

I may buy the towbar from Skoda as my current detachable arm doesn't fit the cutout in the tool tray and its a heavy bit of iron to leave in the boot! I was quoted £207 for the towbar. Skoda don't do full electrics needed for a caravan so would go back to PFJones for that.

• Like 1