Difference between Superb 3.6 and Passat 3.6

I'm looking into buying either a Superb 3.6 or a Passat 3.6 and I see that there is a huge difference in HP but the torque is the same. The Passat is said to make 300hp and 350nm and the Superb 260hp and 350nm. So I am wondering if there are actual differences between the engines in the two cars or if this is just a marketing trick so VW can sell the Passat for more cash?

It'll be down to what rpm it produces the torque if torque is the same but power is different. The calculation for power is [(torque x the rpm at which it is produced) / 5252] = power.

Hence why diesels have good torque but low power :)

It's the same engine, just a different map.  I had a re-map done on my 3.6 Superb, and the result is a completely different car - with the same power as the Passat, but more torque (385nm).  The torque is the most noticeable difference - it will happily trundle around at 30mph in 5th gear, but then takes off like a rocket if you put your foot down...

• Like 2

Flip a coin and say to yourself do I want the looker B7 (jury out on that not  ugly but not stunning in the way a B6 Sport model was) or the functional, do I need the space in the back and boot or not, those things will be the decider, plus the Skoda's are generally a bit more fuel efficient than the VW's, hth.

KiwiSuperb - I can't see any references to the Superb !! V6 or the Passat V6 on the DNA tuning website - other engines, yes plenty, but not the V6.  Have I missed something?

I had an idea that the 220kw Passat engine also has a better breathing exhaust - it certainly sounds a bit louder and more growly.  Really good in fact.

A chap in here in Canberra had a full free-flow exhaust made for his Superb and with no other mods, he claimed it had timed it and it dropped about 1 sec off the 0-100kmh run.  Certainly the video he posted suggested it was more crisp and rapid through the gears than mine.  Sounded absolutely glorious too - quite , deep, snarly and with a real bark on gearchanges.

APR don't offer anything here and the local agent had no experience of any performance mods for the Superb V6, or even Passat, when I asked.

I would be interested in getting a bit more performance from mine but not ending up with a loud exhaust as I do long distance regularly.

• Like 1

Powerd - I'm mystified - it is definitely a DNA tune and even more definitely a 3.6 V6 !  No change to the exhaust, and still a fantastically quiet cruiser (which is something a number of passengers have commented on).  The additional torque is the most noticeable change - the car is just so much more "drive-able", especially at city speeds. I noted recently going up a long and fairly steep hill at 100km/h with 4 in the car it happily stayed in 6th - my previous Audi 3.0 always had to drop a gear or 2 half way up the same hill.

• 1 year later...

Chasing down these V6 threads.... :)

Any updates on the performance mods for the 3.6?

Big_Dane - did you get the Suberb or R36 Passat in the end? If so, what is it like?

Dave

Chasing down these V6 threads.... :)

Any updates on the performance mods for the 3.6?

Big_Dane - did you get the Suberb or R36 Passat in the end? If so, what is it like?

Dave

Big_Dane hasn't been on line since he made that post in 2013!

• Like 1