Another aux question

Kammy

Hi guys/gals.

I asked in another post but didn't get a reply so thought I'd ask in its own post.

Basically I'd like to know if I can connect an mdi or USB cable which would allow me to connect my iPhone to the headunit I have which is the dance one. Also if I can would it allow me to change tracks from the headunit?

I have a headphone type aux in port near the handbrake but would like to know if the other option is possible. If it is if anybody could post which lead I would need would be great.

Thanks

Kammy

Dont you have an mdi socket hole in a recess below the glovebox?

Thats where i connect my ipod touch to but navigating tracks by headunit is patchy to say the least (only shows tracks in alphabetical order)

Have used mdi socket to usb stick with mp3's on and is much easier

If you do have socket the lead is on ebay amongst others - search mdi cable or mdi usb depending on which way you wanna go

Edited by dazz600

Thanks pal. The cars currently in the bookshop but should get it tomorrow so I'll check then. Where abouts should the mdi socket be under the glovebox so I know where I'm looking. Thabks

If its a dance radio you have a pre facelift version which iirc didn't have the option of MDI.

IM not away of any simple/cheap solution to use you ipod etc etc

What i use to do when i only had a Aux socket was but a cheap in car charger to keep battery levels up and create a few playlists (as with many my music taste can vary depending on my mood)

Then before i set of start a chosen play with shuffle turned on.

Its not great but cheap and simple

I ordered this today - plan to use it in the car along with the aux-in

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HS3000-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B004XYI998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012202&sr=8-1&keywords=hs3000

Got a short 3.5mm-3.5mm cable and i will just leave it by the hand brake. I'll be using it with my android phone and it should work for calls also.

I also considered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Car-Audio-Connect-AUX-Bluetooth/dp/B004FNYQZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012348&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+caraudio

Edited by lrmulli

I ordered this today - plan to use it in the car along with the aux-in

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HS3000-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B004XYI998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012202&sr=8-1&keywords=hs3000

Got a short 3.5mm-3.5mm cable and i will just leave it by the hand brake. I'll be using it with my android phone and it should work for calls also.

I also considered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Car-Audio-Connect-AUX-Bluetooth/dp/B004FNYQZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377012348&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+caraudio

Now that's a neat solution.

Might have to think about that. Very cheap way to get Bluetooth in the car (if it works properly).

Would be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

Thanks Guys - checked today and I do have the Dance headunit and no MDI slot.

The above is a good idea and cheap fix. Will need to check it out to ensure it can stay powered.

I have checked the back of the headunit and seen so connectors with nothing connected so I thought maybe that was where the MDI cable connected to as a retro fit. I take it this is not possible on this headunit. Just would have been nice to have had the controls on the headunit.

Kammy

The mdi was only linked with the Swing,Columbus,amunsden and bolero, about 2010 onwards really.

At simple jack lead offers a good quality sound through your stereo, but as u say frustrating not being able to control it..

They are other options

Skoda/VW's optional Kenwood system (best part of £1000 sadly) but that does also have garmin sat nav parrot Bluetooth, dvd player plus the connections for freeview tv OR reverse cam, as well as usb port (allowing control of chosen device on the unit)

Or fit an aftermarket double din headunit

My Bluetooth connector arrived today - I haven't tested anything fully yet but I have noticed that I get interference, I have tested with the 3.5mm-3.5mm straight into my phone and the interference is still present (so it's not the bluetooth causing).

It's like a a background hissing and you only really hear it in quiet sections of songs or between tracks. It may be a fault specific to my car.

I have ordered this to see if it improves the situation - otherwise i'm not sure what I'm going to do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037NYYFY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lrmulli

I won one of the Belkin ones on eBay today. Used for £17 delivered - not bad. If it works it will be the cheapest Bluetooth integration ever!

I'll report back when i get it and try it out. :)

So the new cable didn't really fix the interference - I'm going to try and send that cable and the bluetooth adapter back to Amazon.

I'll be interested to hear how the Belkin fairs!

Has anybody else had interference issues when using the aux socket? if so did you find a fix?

Lrmulli

Checked the back of the unit again and realised the connector for the stereo was obviously missing the connector for the aux. I checked one of the other connectors and saw that it had the aux connection block so I have swapped it from there to the connector I need for the dance unit and hey presto it now works. I got sound from the aux input.

• 2 weeks later...

Errrm - Great news - my aux input from  my samsung hs3000 bluetooth set now works.

Slightly embarrassed to admit this but hopefully it may help an other user.

The "noise" / "interference" I could hear was because the the volume on the headset was actually really low. So the car was amplifying a really quiet input thus generating noise.

I figured out that I could adjust the volume of the Bluetooth output by switching off Bluetooth on my phone and then using the volume controls, if I did it while connected it just adjust the phone volume which was pointless.

So i switched the car stereo down and the Bluetooth output volume up and now I don't have interference.

It works great for calls, music and sat nav.

Thanks

Louis 

Glad you got yours all sorted out Louis.

I am also a little embarrassed to admit that i bought the wrong adaptor for my car... I bought one similar but it uses a wired connection to the phone rather than bluetooth - whoops! So that will be going back up for sale as I have ordered the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NLTW60/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks a great little unit and gets better reviews than the Belkin one I was originally supposed to order and is cheaper too. Result!

I'll post when I get it and try it.

Glad you got yours all sorted out Louis.

I am also a little embarrassed to admit that i bought the wrong adaptor for my car... I bought one similar but it uses a wired connection to the phone rather than bluetooth - whoops! So that will be going back up for sale as I have ordered the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NLTW60/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks a great little unit and gets better reviews than the Belkin one I was originally supposed to order and is cheaper too. Result!

I'll post when I get it and try it.

That sounds great - the reviews seem almost too good to be true.

I would have gone for something similar but I was persuaded with the idea that mine could be used outside the car also and I'm glad i did as I use it at my desk at work for listening to my music - it works great.

• Like 1

Received the unit today, just installed it and given it a little try out - amazing!

Bluetooth worked flawlessly straight out of the box. Nice, discrete unit that allows use of Siri on my iphone, so i can make calls, send text messages etc all on the move without ever having to touch the phone - great!

Sound quality is good and there are buttons on the unit to skip tracks too. Really a great thing, a very cheap way to get bluetooth in the car. I tested it to FaceTime as well and that worked good too. Haven't tested it on the move yet, but phonecalls worked at normal voice tone/volume with the receiver placed down by the shift lever, so I would think it would be ok. Will test tomorrow when I drive to/from work.

All in all, very pleased for £25.

My only concern is power draw when the car is off - the 12v socket is a constant live, so I wonder how much power it will draw... It's designed to be left plugged in really. We'll see!

Guys, before the Monte, we too didn't have MDI and used the "aux" input.

Remember this is essentially just a cable that links it in to your car speakers through the stereo - same as plugging headphones or speakers into your phone/ipod/mp3 player.  I have found if you set the aux level to level 1 (go to settings, aux level is in there somewhere, 1, 2 or 3), then keep the volume on the player/phone low and use the car stereo to turn the volume up, the hissing is reduced.  If you put it to level 3, it amplifies more noise.

I thought you could buy the MDI fitment as an after market option, but it might be expensive, and/or only for certain head units - I have a Swing in the Monte, but the MDI means I just plug it in and can control the ipod.  You can get other cable fits too - the ipod one is standard, USB and others are available. 

Bluetooth is something I'm interested in, as my wife has it in her golf and it is so much better for using the phone on the move than the handfree kit with my phone (earphones and a mic).

Has anyone else found the sound quality over the MDI iPod cable quite poor, this was also my experience using the 3.5mm aux. far worse than CD's, and this isn't coming from a fanatical audiophile.

I'm not sure if the signal travels straight to speakers with no additional sound processing from the head unit and the speakers aren't up to the job unless certain frequencies are filtered out. Or alternatively if the head unit is trying to do some sound processing and making a hash of it.

I have an iPod nano (old 1GB) and would dearly love to be able to use my MDI or even 3.5mm aux, but the sound quality is really pants.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.