mpg reads like a fruit machine?

Hi, Can anyone clarify what I should expect from the mpg reader on the trip computer.  I recently had the car fixed after someone drove into the back of me and since the car has come back the mpg number just rolls constantly from 200 to 110 to 60 and down further and then ---.  It also shows --- as soon as i lift my foot from the accelerator.

I remember it being erratic before the accident but it now seems impossible to read.  Is this normal?  Should it be more stable than this?  Thanks for the help if anyone can advise. 

• Like 1

3rd that the computer is in instantaneous mpg mode.

If you press the rocker switch on the RH stalk you can toggle between time of day, average trip speed (ignores engine off ime up to 2 hours), trip average mpg, instantaneous mpg, available range based on driving since last fill, and ambient temperature in "Mode 1", and some other options including engine run time (resets every 100 hours so not exactly useful) in "Mode 2".

Great thanks for the replies.  So how do I know when it is in 'live' mpg mode and when it is in 'average' mode?  Thanks again for the replies.  And yes what is the point in the live mode?  It is just silly.

The next push of Mode after 'Consumption (live)' is '(average) consumption', and you can push the little button under the stalk and you have 'consumption 1(average)' or next push 'consumption 2 (average) '

You need to chose what you want to show on Maxi Dot from the the MFD menu.

That is if you have the same set up as shown in the pics.

george

Even if you  only have the standard screen and not Maxi Dot the same applies. Current MPG can be used as an economy meter telling you how much you are using the loud pedal, whist average MPG gives you an idea of how you have been driving since you last put some fuel in the tank. 

Edited by hertsnminds

Great thanks for the replies.  So how do I know when it is in 'live' mpg mode and when it is in 'average' mode?  Thanks again for the replies.  And yes what is the point in the live mode?  It is just silly.

If it is up and doen like a fruit machine it is in "live" mode.  A steady figure means average mode.

Just play around with the little rocker switch on the end of the Right Hand stalk and see what it does - you can't do any damage - promise!

You can actually drive along the road, steady throttle and see how fuel is used, car/engine under load,

lifting off the throttle and coasting, or accelerating getting to speed and lifting off.

Some see how it reacts and adjust their driving to stay in good figures,

do some miles then swap to the Consumption average and see if the 

Hypermiling or just economic style worked.

That is if you have not crashed off the road or run into something while concentration on your dash.

george

You can actually drive along the road, steady throttle and see how fuel is used, car/engine under load,

lifting off the throttle and coasting, or accelerating getting to speed and lifting off.

Some see how it reacts and adjust their driving to stay in good figures,

do some miles then swap to the Consumption average and see if the 

Hypermiling or just economic style worked.

That is if you have not crashed off the road or run into something while concentration on your dash.

george

It's pretty steady when using Cruise Control, until the car encounters a gradient, then you see the figures go nuts until you level out again! :D