Bolero Model Year

Hi all,

I have read a load of stuff on here and even started a thread on this subject myself a long while back. 

However in summary, i know i will probably need a new can gateway in order to upgrade to a bolero in a 07 car.  however i think (but can't find it now that) i read the newer bolero units have different backing plates and dont fit the older cars?  Or can i just get any year bolero and as long as i deal with the can gateway i will be ok?

I am aware of the 08/09 swap over with the back lighting issue from reading on here.  Can i take it also that this isn't a deal breaker as its only a bit dim in bright sunlight?

Cheers

I've got a 2012 unit in my 2006 car, it fitted with no issues apart from the dim screen which to be honest was annoying at first but I've got in the habit of flicking the side lights on and off before setting off and then it's plenty bright enough for all but direct sunlight.

Yeah i changed the gateway, mine was behind the glovebox, but with your age car it could be up behind the pedals which is a bit more of a pain to get to. Other than that, take the silver dash trim out, take the old unit out ( a Stream in my case ), put the Bolero in, and replaced dash trim. Only other thing was an aerial adaptor to split the feed from one into the two inputs the Bolero has. They are about £10 on eBay. The actual head unit change took no more than 10 minutes.

This is cool, i read a guide on getting to the can gateway when not behind the glovebox and although not simple its supposed to only take about 30 mins to an hour. 

Where did you get new gateway from?  I am on the lookout for a bolero at the moment and then will need to source the gateway. 

Thanks for the reply.  Seems its not all a total pain like i first thought.

I got a gateway off a VW/Audi breakers on EBay, I took a punt on a unit from an Audi as it was only £35 luckily it worked fine apart from a fault code i haven't been able to code out yet for a battery regulator monitoring module that the Audi must have had and the Octavia hasn't.

Hi,

Just to check the part below would be ok?  Looks like a revision P. 

Whats the deal with reprogramming, some ads say the unit will need programming.  My mate has just got a vcds so although we need to learn how it works i will hopefully have the tools for the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290928862575?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D290928862575%26_rdc%3D1

Hi,

Just to check the part below would be ok? Looks like a revision P.

Whats the deal with reprogramming, some ads say the unit will need programming. My mate has just got a vcds so although we need to learn how it works i will hopefully have the tools for the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290928862575?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D290928862575%26_rdc%3D1

It's pretty simple to recode, the important thing is taking note of all the boxes ticked on the old gateway before you remove it, then you basically go through the options on the new gateway ticking the same boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bolero sourced from a 2012 model.  Just need to order the gateway.

I see some on ebay are model AK and there is also a P mentioned above.  I assume either of these will be ok. 

Should i choose one over the other for any reason? 

Don't suppose its worth checking to see if mine is already a post K model in a june 07 octavia? 

Thanks

Best, you could also try Eddie NL. I got my gateway and Bolero off him and it pre-coded it for me. My Octavia is a 2007 model and had the gateway hidden in the drivers side, was a pig going from inside. I didn't know about the guide going from the scuttle panel, if I did I could have saved myself hours and lots of pain :(

Excellent,

Got the fakra connector on order (hopefully right one) and trim removal tools.  Probably not 100% necessary but expaning tool collection is always good. 

Just need to order up this module.  Then wait for my mate to get back of holiday with vcds. 

When you say Eddie supplies the CAN already programmed how is this possilble without first reading the settings of the existing ones?  Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks

When you say Eddie supplies the CAN already programmed how is this possilble without first reading the settings of the existing ones?  Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks

He sent me a list of questions regarding my car and the can arrived, plugged it in and no issues what so ever

These are the questions I was asked, HTH

Car make:
Year:
DSG or Manual:
Petrol or Diesel
Type: Hatch, Estate, Saloon, Cabrio
3 or 5 Door
 Does the car have
Factory Xenons
Factory Parking Sensors
Factory Telephone
Factory Sat Nav
Factory Sound system under passenger seat
Factory Fitted Towbar
Polar FIS add on
4 Motion
MDI Media Player
Drivers Memory Seat

• 2 weeks later...

Radio installed and working.  I can't seemt o select the aux option along the top though?  Not as if i really need to plug my phone in now i can use sd cards. 

I plugged the aerial and multiplug in the bolero.  DId i miss something which is why the aux cant be selected?

Thanks

Radio installed and working.  I can't seemt o select the aux option along the top though?  Not as if i really need to plug my phone in now i can use sd cards. 

I plugged the aerial and multiplug in the bolero.  DId i miss something which is why the aux cant be selected?

Thanks

I think you need to enable it in the setup, iirc. I will check if I remember late, but I think it is in the system setup, you need to tick aux. Some people also needed ton enable it in vcds but I didn't

It would seem that i was doing the right thing but the option just isn't there?  I looked on youtube and someone enables aux by going into setup then media.  Just like the manual says.  When i go into settings then media i get two options.  Scan/mix/repeat including subfolders   / Hide Artist Track Name.

I should also have Aux Level Input / Activitate Aux / BT audio display according to the manual???

Yep thats definately not showing! 

Typical just when i thought it was all going so well.  I will get hold of a vcds (friend just bought one! ) and see what i can do.  Although it will be a learning curve as i have never used it before !

Thanks