I've replaced my DPF Differential Pressure Sensor but.....

Hi All,

Can anyone help?

I'm new to the world of Skoda. I recently purchased a 59 plate Octavia VRS CR170 (privately). Unmodified to my knowledge. Out of Skoda warranty but i do have warranty direct cover.

So the engine management/exhaust system light came on. I got a cheapo code scanner off ebay but that was cr*p. It didn't give me the error code but let me delete it turning the light off. It came back within 24 hrs.

So I borrowed a laptop with VCDS and got this

009299 - Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor 
               P2453 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON

So with a bit of digging around on this forum (which is a godsend!) I found the wealth of info I needed. Or so i thought!

Checked the sensor. It was an old 'Made in the USA' one. I replaced it with the new one, bought from my local SEAT dealer. I adapted it using VCDS and did a forced regen whilst driving. DPF light came on and the filter mass went from 15.0 down to 2.1 in about 8 miles/minutes. Light went out...... All is right with the world.

But this morning the light is back on and i still get:

So what now? Perhaps the pipes are blocked. I admit that in my haste i didn't check. Or faulty sensor or something else?

Thanks

Phil

Fresh scan at lunchtime. Anyone know what the mbar readings should be?

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 11100000

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 1

Mileage: 63200 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2109.14.02

Time: 19:16:19

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 0 /min

Speed: 0.0 km/h

Voltage: 12.24 V

Pressure: -146 mbar

Pressure: -69 mbar

(no units): 0.0

Temperature: 36.9°C

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0 

I've just had the sensor off again. The pipes are clear and the connection looks good. Adapted it again. Same thing. The sensor reads -146mbar with the pipes connected or disconnected. Another bad sensor or bad wiring? I've no idea how I'd go about testing the wiring!

The letter at the end usually specifies a newer version - so that may be a red herring.

Can't help with the rest of your query as I'm not up on this new fangled DPF junk - my last Diesel was a PD140 A3 so none of that junk.

Happily all sorted now. dpf differential pressure sensor 076906051B fitted and working. No more errors.

076906051A did NOT work. So at some point in 2009 the system changed on the CR170.

Hope someone finds that useful

• Like 2

My is also a 59 plate CR vRS (with 39,000 miles).

The same fault, amber warning light. DPF pressure sensor replaced (was the 'Made in USA' part, now 'Malaysia' 076906051B part).

Sorted. £140 to dealer!

Edited by GriffoVRS

• 10 months later...

Hi. I've had the warning light thing on a 1.6TDI and a Solus machine pointed to the DPF DIfferential Pressure Sensor so I have bought one. Can you tell me - is it this thing located between engine cover and water bottles ? Or is it somewhere else ? Thanks

post-57503-0-38644500-1404392158_thumb.jpg

Hi. I've had the warning light thing on a 1.6TDI and a Solus machine pointed to the DPF DIfferential Pressure Sensor so I have bought one. Can you tell me - is it this thing located between engine cover and water bottles ? Or is it somewhere else ? Thanks

That certainly looks like it, in a different place to my PD170 but certainly looks like the same part.

• 5 months later...

You need to use VCDS to perform a full adaption cycle, part of that involves going for a short drive.

Do not simply replace the sensor and go for a run, the car will have no idea how full the DPF is until you run the adaption cycle so one of two things could happen, 1) it will always attempt to regen because it believes the DPF to be full and it will never know that its not. or 2) it will never regen because the car believes the DPF to have less deposits inside than it really does, continuing to drive like this and the DPF will eventually clog.

I posted all the required VCDS codes to get this done when researching and replacing the sensor in my old Superb MK2.

• Like 1

Do you have to regen it after You have fitted the sensor or just take it for a run to clear it

I didn't when I did mine at work on Monday, but then I have a 20 minute drive at 70 to get home, so didn't see the point of forcing a regent.

Did you run the adaption, I hope you did before driving it.

The adaption must be completed before starting the engine after replacing the sensor, failure to complete this before starting the engine means you need to replace the sensor again. The adaption MUST be completed before starting the engine, if you attempt it later the adaptions will fail. The car must re-learn all the basic settings from scratch.

The below is what I found out from here, it takes just a few minutes, this is done through google translate so reads a bit weird.

VAG-COM/VCDS start,
go to [01 - Engine]
go to [Login - 11]
Login code for Pressure sensor for an adjustment = 30605
Note: turn the ignition after adjustment for at least 10 seconds off!

Now start engine and go for a drive of varying road types.

Why must you adapt, well it depends on the failure state of the sensor and the values the ECU has stored.

If the sensor failed in such a way that the car believed to the DPF was say 50% full, then when you install the new sensor the car will assume that the new readings are for a 50% full DPF, so will regen a lot more because the DPF regen will be triggered earlier.

If the sensor died when the DPF was empty and you continued driving the car, then the car will believe the DPF is empty due to the stored values, lets say 5% whereas in reality it could be 30%+. The result in this scenario is that the car will not do a regen when required and the DPF will clog.

Not running the adaption before starting the engine means that the car will assume that the new readings from the new sensor are for the same stored ECU values it last had.

so really need someone with vcds to adapt it before i fit a new sensor.  what about if i took it for a drive for 30mins and keep the revs at 2000rpm to 2500rpm to see if it will perform a regen

You need to use VCDS to perform a full adaption cycle, part of that involves going for a short drive.

Do not simply replace the sensor and go for a run, the car will have no idea how full the DPF is until you run the adaption cycle so one of two things could happen, 1) it will always attempt to regen because it believes the DPF to be full and it will never know that its not. or 2) it will never regen because the car believes the DPF to have less deposits inside than it really does, continuing to drive like this and the DPF will eventually clog.

I posted all the required VCDS codes to get this done when researching and replacing the sensor in my old Superb MK2.

do you have a link to the vcds code to do this 

ive just replaced this sensor with the one above and adjusted with vcds, took it for a run for about 60miles and no warning light.  cheers to who posted the first post helped me a lot

• 8 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread here.

I have this same issue and have ordered the part before realising I needed vcds.

I have called my mechanic who has told me that the 2010 model will self adapt the new sensor by switching the ignition to on for more than a minute.

Does this sound right?

Sorry to drag up an old thread here.

I have this same issue and have ordered the part before realising I needed vcds.

I have called my mechanic who has told me that the 2010 model will self adapt the new sensor by switching the ignition to on for more than a minute.

Does this sound right?

No.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk