Yeti II (not FL) will come in 2017/18

Ah so the FL Yeti (and the current Yeti as a whole) will have quite a longer life than the normal VAG six years.  I just spotted this on a Chinese website re the VW Crossblue and Crossblue Coupe.  But look at the top two lines:

volkswagen-crosscoupe-china-3.jpg

In 2018 the current Yeti production stops and the new (presumably MQB based) Yeti II starts production.  (Ignore the arrow as that is the VW Crossblue).  Now we can assume Chinese Yeti production might lag the European production but not by much.  So I'd wager 2017 for Yeti II in Europe.  By the way NF stands for Nachfolger (follow up) or Neue Familie (new family).

Though the current Yeti has a perfect six year life on that list (in China).  So perhaps the Yeti II in China will again just lag the same amount of years vs the European one?  And we will get a new Yeti II in 2015 is expected?  Who knows.

From:  http://www.carnewschina.com/2013/08/22/volkswagen-crossblue-and-crossblue-coupe-will-be-made-in-china-from-2015/

I'd have thought they need 3 years to make the FL worthwhile.

It used to be 4 years, FL, 4 years.  But this seems to have shortened in the car market now.

There is no great tooling cost in the FL since it is really in effect a very mild facelift.  The tooling for the new fenders and bonnet (the two most expensive changes in terms of stamping machines) can be amortized pretty quickly.  The bumpers are plastic so the old vs FL costs are the same and the rest amount to running trim changes.  So a two year life could work financially.  I don't get why the FL came so late in the Yetis life, unless it DOES point to there being three years left for it instead of two. 

• Like 1

The Yeti FL came later in the cycle probably because Skoda have been pretty busy rolling out a fair number of other models and FLs in the meantime. And also because it has proved to be so successful, against their predictions.

SVW started  production of Tiguan in early 2010 , but Yeti come to our local market relatively late, because facelift and localization of Yeti spent as long as three years, it is said SVW will start  production of Yeti  recently,mybe in Sept.

I guess Yeti Mk2 will come  Europe at the end of 2016 or early 2017, then  NF Yeti made by SVW come in 2018.

• 8 months later...

On page 45 of the 23rd April 'May Special' edition of Auto Express (which I bought to leave lying casually opened on the coffee table at the Driver Power winner's page when guests come round :giggle: ) the 'Yeti+2' is shown for 2015.

I have a fear that whatever the MkII (if that is what this indicates) brings it will be bigger, which will not really suit my needs at all. I've only had my Yeti six months or so, and I'm already looking ahead to the next - shocking, isn't it. Never had a car like that before!! PB

On page 45 of the 23rd April 'May Special' edition of Auto Express (which I bought to leave lying casually opened on the coffee table at the Driver Power winner's page when guests come round :giggle: ) the 'Yeti+2' is shown for 2015.

I have a fear that whatever the MkII (if that is what this indicates) brings it will be bigger, which will not really suit my needs at all. I've only had my Yeti six months or so, and I'm already looking ahead to the next - shocking, isn't it. Never had a car like that before!! PB

A 4.5m Yeti would suit me though ;)

Agreed.  Stretch the boot a bit - to the length of the old Fabia Estate would do.  Rear overhang would be no more than say LR Disco, so could hardly upset off-roaders.  Current boot with spare wheel kit is inadequate, and sliding the rear seats forward leaves a cliff-edge.  Biggest (if not only) disappointment, in my view.    But DON'T make the vehicle any wider.  Ever wider cars are a pain if you have a pre-1970 driveway or garage, and in tight multi-storey car parks.

• Like 2

Agreed.  Stretch the boot a bit - to the length of the old Fabia Estate would do.  Rear overhang would be no more than say LR Disco, so could hardly upset off-roaders.  Current boot with spare wheel kit is inadequate, and sliding the rear seats forward leaves a cliff-edge.  Biggest (if not only) disappointment, in my view.    But DON'T make the vehicle any wider.  Ever wider cars are a pain if you have a pre-1970 driveway or garage, and in tight multi-storey car parks.

:rofl:  Have you looked in a new build garage, narrow and they always put the supporting pillar right where the driver's door opens :giggle:    :wall:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If bigger brother = Yeti II, then yes.

I was surprised to have it suggested that the current Yeti may only be getting another FL though? It will be a bit long in the tooth by 2018, and the engines will certainly have to be updated (IMHO). I'm not sure a mere FL (which, to me, implies a change in external appearance only) will satisfy the current owners in four years time?

PB

Perhaps I've misunderstood all the info gleaned from here and elsewhere over the last year or two, but my understanding is that the current Yeti Mk 1 (pre FL and post FL) will be replaced by an all new (ie not another Mk 1 FL) Yeti Mk II in 3 years or so from now.

At around the same time there will be a larger (7 seat?) Skoda SUV launched (called at times the Snowman). 

Bit of info here from Paris last week:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/88859/price-pledge-on-new-seven-seat-skoda-suv

Three or four years with the recent outdated engines and factory fitted standard and optional equipments, no way. In Finland you can see 10-15 pre-FL Yetis, but maybe 1 FL in a week. 

We are planning to get a new car in 2015 (MY2016), if there is the recent Yeti range with no changes, then we shall get the Octy III Combi 1.4TSI DSG with rough road package and get much modern car with the same price as Yeti City 1.2TSI DSG. Ok, we lose the easy way to step in and out, but...

Regardless of what happens with the next Yeti, we can count on price going up by around £1000, which seems to be the average price increase of all manufactuers.

Can also count on it being bigger, altho the new Fabia seems to be bucking that trend as it was announced that it would be slightly smaller than current one exterior wise.

Regardless of what happens with the next Yeti, we can count on price going up by around £1000, which seems to be the average price increase of all manufactuers.

Can also count on it being bigger, altho the new Fabia seems to be bucking that trend as it was announced that it would be slightly smaller than current one exterior wise.

New Fabia is claimed to be 9cm wider, 3cm shorter and about the same length.

A bit more on the 'not-a-Snowman':

http://www.auto.cz/skoda-a-plus-konkurent-sorento-santa-fe-cenu-superbu-83490

On a different note, with the Golf and Passat GTE and Audi hybrids and the comment by the Skoda boss of future Skoda hybrids, who fancies a hybrid Yeti II?

As per this thread Jerry!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/306285-i-want-this-drivetrain-in-a-yeti-body/

• Like 1