climate control fault?

please has anybody got any i dea's

I have an 02 octavia eleglance estate- with 115k on the clock. wih climate control, the last few weeks, i have been lots of cold air flow but very little warm or hot air blowing through [ even on a 25 mile run with the temperature turned right up] i even tried setting it at 23c with the out temperature showing 19/20c,  it blew warm air for the whole journey,but the car didnt seem to change or reach 23c?

i have read the threads about trying climate control- i pressed the button buttons - there was a beep then on the left came up 4FA, and 00 on the right-[ anyidea's what this means?]

if it is the air vent motor needs replacement, how do you get to it?

any help appreicated.

thanks

Have you got VagCom? That'll tell you if there's any electrical faults on the system. I'm pretty sure you can do actuator tests as well to make the motors move.

Can you hear anything move when you change the temperature setting?

Sent from Tapatalk 2

During the test you did on the Climate Control unit (I assumed you pressed the extreme left and right buttons before switching on the ignition), it exercised all the motorised flaps. Your fault code of 4FA corresponds to a decimal code of 1274. A fault free unit gives 444 and 00.

Ross-Tech give this as the result for this code:

01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) 01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71): Faulty Possible Causes
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) faulty
  • Positioning Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) blocked
  • Positioning Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
    • See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
    • Perform Output Test
    • Perform Basic Setting
  • Check/Repair Wiring and Connectors

I am no expert on the this but this is where I would look next.

Perhaps there is someone else on here who has direct experience.

Put the temperature on cold, fan speed on 1, and A/C off. Now change the temperature. Stick your head down by the dash and see if you can hear any flaps/motors moving. Also, if you remove the the lower dash sections/glovebox, you should be able to see all the motors etc on the side of the heater box

I have just tried as mustafa suggested, i can hear & feel a motor whir- [if i feel under the cover],but i could only occasionally hear a clicking sound.

could it be that the motor is working but not moving the vent flaps, as i have had a louder clicking noise for a few weeks , when you start up.

Last night while i was out and it was colder thatn day time, i put the heater up to max, but i only got warm air [ but the engine was hot]

look forward to your comments

Sounds like you need to remove covers/dash parts to visually see the motors/flap mechanisms before you do anything else.

It could be a sheared gear, broken lever, weak motor, distorted flap, etc etc

Sent from Tapatalk 2

Some times a leaf or pine needle can get past the air filter (no idea how, unless when it is being changed) and get stuck in the vents/flaps...

If you remove the glovebox (5 torx screws) you should see the whole fan/vent assembly.  Although seeing it is the easy bit from what I have heard.

I found a video on you tube which shows the location, operation and fault on the V71 flap. It is the Recirculation Flap so does not control the temperature. However, yours may be faulty if you hear clicking when you press the recirculation button.

Rereading your original post, you talk about the difference between outside air temperature and requested cabin temperature. This has only secondary relevance to the air temperature from the vents. Climate Control looks principally at difference between actual and requested cabin temperature. The air from the vents is set a few degrees above requested cabin temperature if actual cabin temperature is close say 2 or 3 degrees below. This is to avoid temperature overshoot and hunting. So you will not find really hot air coming out in the situation you mentioned.

To check that heater is working do this:  with water temperature at normal 90 degrees, press the Econ button then keep pressing the red "temp up" button until you reach maximum. The fan speed will increase and after 30 secs or so you will have max hot air from the vents. It helps to also press the two centre buttons to direct the air to the centre vents (which must be open) and feet.

If you don't get hot air then there is another fault such as an air lock or collapsed hose in the heater water supply.

V71 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krjbRMR5wWE

i tried the heater the other day, a reasobale amount of hot air was coming out, not had time try to take a look at the air flow motor,as some kind character stole some stuff from the car this weekend [mp3 player 30 gb & dab radio]- thanks again for your help

jon