vrs discs/pads what to choose? mi eds mashed from lukin

So many to choose from

Eicher ruled out

Pagid fairly cheap pricewise but are they any good?

Brembo I used to swear by but now what are they like in comparison?

Mintex?

Loads more out there.

My heads mashed now just from looking at them all.

Any suggestions and experiences welcome

Thanks

Go for Pagid pads and discs, good all round OEM product, this weekend euro car parts have a massive discount on too. You will find them more than adequate.

If you are going racing try Ferodo 2500 seem to offer a good pad but on a budget go for yellow stuff. Personally I would stay with standard discs though.

BTW, what is your budget?

I always say stick to Mintex, Ferodo or EBC brakes. I run Greeenstuff all round on mine and never had any problems stopping. I have had Skoda pads start to de-laminate on our other Fabia.

Thanks for the advice all

James I

Not going racing im afraid. OEM brakes more than adequate for a steady going soul like myself.

I always swore by Brembo but there is so much more choice now.

I saw another post for the Pagid rears with pads from ECP on Ebayfor £36 all in which is better than this weekends offer. I rang ECP and they wouldnt match it in store or as a click and collect so if I do go for them theyll be the Ebay buy for the rears and poss online click and collect fro the fronts.

Not set a budget as such but have limited funds (but i wont fit cheap rubbish as is a false economy in the long run and other peoples lives are on the line)  otherwise I would do as I have previously for other cars ive owned and bought Brembo's finest.

group1rs

Have seen many posts on this upgrade but not for me im afraid as id like to keep mine standard and the standard brakes are more than adequate for myself.

Thanks for the offer though, most kind. I live in Medway and currently working in Folkestone area but I move around a fair bit with work.

Might make the Medway meet one day.

Jim H

You say you running green stuff pads but what discs do you have? Do you find they lack feel and responsiveness (grab a little) when cold until they warm up a bit. 

I am quite happy with the eom ones, though if i drove like i did in my youger years then i would be opting for a serious upgrade probably. Now with maturity (just an old fart really) I find I can enjoy myself as much now at a steadier pace as I did when i was younger when I drove it like i stole it.

grr666

Bought them twice!! Same car or different models? I wouldnt expect to be changing them for quite a while. Original discs and pads on mine now with over 60000 and still loads of disc and pads left just getting old. Rears are doing what seems to be the usual so want to do a full brake overhaul.

Did the Brembo job on my 300zx tt and when sold 70000 miles later same discs with lots of life left and only one front pad change after approx 50000. Was hoping around 40 to 50k for the discs but pads id expect 20 to 30k from.

Am i ecpecting too much or would this be reasonable for the Pagids?

Got some 312 calipers with brembo pads for sale if interested,very good but I've upgraded to 6 pots so no longer needed

Thanks for the offer and as the saying goes here is the BUT not for me im afraid.

Quite happy with the oem setup as is just looking to replace the original discs and pads.

I dont tear around, I find the track better suited and mor enjoyable not to say safer for all concerned and defo better for the licence.

As i run standard rims and tyres pointless putting bigger brakes on. If i was going that way (brakes rims and tyres) i would be changing a lot more as the strain on other components is also drastically increased. Found this out myself previously on other vehicles so not being arsy or judgemental just realistic.

Dont mean to offend so if I have sorry.

I've always used Brembo discs on everything and now have the Brembo MAX fronts which are frankly excellent, just fitted some EBC Ultimax pads (they sound like a feminine hygiene product) to my friends Saab and he reports the braking much improved so I'll be using those at my next pad change.

Rears are a moot point since they seem to wear so fast irrespective of disc or pad quality, I fit whatever I can get a deal on at the time.

I've always used Brembo discs on everything and now have the Brembo MAX fronts which are frankly excellent, just fitted some EBC Ultimax pads (they sound like a feminine hygiene product) to my friends Saab and he reports the braking much improved so I'll be using those at my next pad change.

Rears are a moot point since they seem to wear so fast irrespective of disc or pad quality, I fit whatever I can get a deal on at the time.

Saw these on Ebay at a reasonable price (brembo max discs) just wary of Ebay on the whole.

I lived in Asia and it has left me very wary of anybody selling anything as original as there are os many fakes out there that look original.

How hard do you think it is to get Brembo boxes made and put cheap **** discs in?

Where did you get yours?

Ate blue is good stuff and cheap too

Just had a read on ATE site. Prob go for the SL6 (and its on a really good deal at ECP this weekend) rather than the blue.

Slightly lower boiling point but viscosity in colder temps is far better.

As i dont hammer my brakes constantly or even occasionally (other than the odd complete asshole on the motorway) boiling the fluid isnt an issue.

When you possibly need the ABS and ASR is when its cold and that really trumps it for me.

Lived in canada for a while and viscosity due to temp is very noticeable there. Here it isnt due to not being as cold but the lower temps still do a lot of harm even though its not as noticeable.

grr666

Bought them twice!! Same car or different models? I wouldnt expect to be changing them for quite a while. Original discs and pads on mine now with over 60000 and still loads of disc and pads left just getting old. Rears are doing what seems to be the usual so want to do a full brake overhaul.

Did the Brembo job on my 300zx tt and when sold 70000 miles later same discs with lots of life left and only one front pad change after approx 50000. Was hoping around 40 to 50k for the discs but pads id expect 20 to 30k from.

Am i ecpecting too much or would this be reasonable for the Pagids?

On two different cars, One which I have now and one which I sold just under a year ago.

I've just had a set fitted to my wifes Fiat 500, along with a fluid change and they

are much better than the OE ones which came off, although the OE Fiat discs were at the end of their

service life by just 29k. I'd hope for better from the Pagids but they've only been on for a short 

while so time will tell. Braking performance is much better than before and as with all the Pagid

discs they are painted so the paint only comes off of the service area of the disc leaving the

edge and centre painted.

On the car which I sold the discs were 18 months old and still looked like I had just

had them fitted unlike other brands which start to rust the first time they get wet.

I had them fitted as part of a 312 upgrade along with the Pagid pads and new calipers

etc. Once bedded in they were vastly superior to the 288 discs and pads previously on

the car. One things for certain, the pagid stuff definitely would make a difference to

the premature aging in the rear discs of these cars caused by

the surface rust caused by the pads not contacting to the edge of the disc, although I must confess

I had already replaced the rears with febi bilstein discs before I had heard of pagid so I never

got round to doing them pagid all round as I am a fairly low mileage driver and they never

wore enough in my ownership to need another change.   

When my brakes on the Audi need doing, I'll certainly be going Pagid again.

Also had ATE blue fluid in the Fabia and currently in the Fiat.

There is some speculation that the blue dye is

a.illegal (It is in California apparently, but my Fiat had it changed just before its MOT

which was performed by the same fitter that had just bled the brakes, so go figure?)  

and

b.causes damage to seals. (Can't imagine why it's widely used in Racing cars but hey ho,

I'm happy with it and would use it again)

If either of these rumors worry you they do a clear fluid to the exact same spec boiling point etc

called type 200 but it's hard to get over here but is the same spec as super blue but without

the dye.

On two different cars, One which I have now and one which I sold just under a year ago.

I've just had a set fitted to my wifes Fiat 500, along with a fluid change and they

are much better than the OE ones which came off, although the OE Fiat discs were at the end of their

service life by just 29k. I'd hope for better from the Pagids but they've only been on for a short 

while so time will tell. Braking performance is much better than before and as with all the Pagid

discs they are painted so the paint only comes off of the service area of the disc leaving the

edge and centre painted.

On the car which I sold the discs were 18 months old and still looked like I had just

had them fitted unlike other brands which start to rust the first time they get wet.

I had them fitted as part of a 312 upgrade along with the Pagid pads and new calipers

etc. Once bedded in they were vastly superior to the 288 discs and pads previously on

the car. One things for certain, the pagid stuff definitely would make a difference to

the premature aging in the rear discs of these cars caused by

the surface rust caused by the pads not contacting to the edge of the disc, although I must confess

I had already replaced the rears with febi bilstein discs before I had heard of pagid so I never

got round to doing them pagid all round as I am a fairly low mileage driver and they never

wore enough in my ownership to need another change.   

When my brakes on the Audi need doing, I'll certainly be going Pagid again.

Also had ATE blue fluid in the Fabia and currently in the Fiat.

There is some speculation that the blue dye is

a.illegal (It is in California apparently, but my Fiat had it changed just before its MOT

which was performed by the same fitter that had just bled the brakes, so go figure?)  

and

b.causes damage to seals. (Can't imagine why it's widely used in Racing cars but hey ho,

I'm happy with it and would use it again)

If either of these rumors worry you they do a clear fluid to the exact same spec boiling point etc

called type 200 but it's hard to get over here but is the same spec as super blue but without

the dye.

Pagids defo on the short list then.

Looked at ATE site and read the data on the Blue, 200 and the SL6.

SL6 http://www.ate-na.com/generator/www/us/en/ate/ate/themes/20_ate_brake_products/brake_fluid/bf_sl6_us.html gets the heads up this time

On offer at ECP as well. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/auxiliary-fluids/brake-fluid/?524770042&0&cc5_179

As for California what isnt illegal? Breathing excessively will probably be taxed soon as it would be deemed to cause pollution.

Not sure as to the reasoning behind the dye if that is so.

Can understand to an extent for racing as any miniscule leak would be evident and location easy to find.

Would make more sense on a road car if you ask me.

Race cars (and bikes) are prepped to such a high standard and brake setup is critical.

When i was racing brake checks were an essential part of post race clean up and pre race check and setup. Soft pads used to save disc wear but also save brake fade as the surface wears off not overheating the pad, only thing is that they would only last a meet. Better than wearing out both and never had brake fade.