Replace Brake Line?

toby

Replacing my rear brakes (drums...) as I've been getting problems for the rear NS one. rapid on/off grinding noise followed by general grindy noise when the brakes are release on anything more than very light breaking. the brakes have gotten generally quite bad so I stopped driving it. anyway, finally replacement bits obtained (no thanks to ECP...another dismal experience) so pulled the offending side to pieces, resprung the new shoes with old pushrod but new springs, removed the bolt holding the wheel cylinder in place and went to undo the brake union (with flared spanner)...to be greeting by the sight of the hose trying to turn too. tried some heat (with trepidation) and WD40 but nothing with any effect, tried a few hits with a hammer and then an attempt to break it free with a quick tap on the spanner too. nothing.

would now be a good time to just replace the hardline (its the same on the other side, that's being overhauled too) and if so any recommendations on brand or just use OEM? is it mendable or just knackered. it passed a common fitness-to-drive test about 3 weeks ago like this....

the union at the flexi-hose on the beam undoes no problems and the wheel cylinders are being replaced so straight removal and replacement isn't an issue with damaging anything but are there any 'fun' things to look for whilst doing this. I have an eezibleed but does fluid just pour out the moment this is undone or anything like that?

rust_zps5466bd65.jpg

a section of rust, the bit near the union seems more like aluminium rust, fine white powdery type corrosion but refused to be photographed. the plastic wrapper just falls off if you look at it long enough, let alone poke it with something...

Edited by toby

oh cool for that money they're getting replaced - did they come with the flexi hoses on the end? a bunch of ebay ads show the hardline plus flexi hose but the part doesn't look quite right anyway.

did you remove yours properly or just hacksaw it off?

cheers,

toby

heh, seems like normal behaviour then? i'll see what skoda want for a set and put up the current part numbers. No flare kit, not sure i'd trust the my first efforts - would you need a pipe bender to - the pipe looks like it would just kink?

is there anyway to prevent a recurrence? I doubt the car will last past another set new new back brakes but just in case, copper grease the union?

anyway, looks like a course of action at least and another week on the bus...

cheers

toby

looking at it, that whole connection around the rear beam looks like a mess - does the flexi really have two unions, 1 for the hardlines from the master cylinder and 1 for the hardline coming from the wheel cylinder?

seems like a nice way to get eyefuls of brake fluid?

Yeah,hard line up to the rear beam,then I have a 4 inch braided line,then hard line over the beam to the cylinder/calliper!

The last bit is rubber...

There are little U shaped clips that locate the hose onto the rear beam,you may also want to renew those as they can poop themselves when they ping out!

They're only 60p or so....

ah I see, I thought it was a bracket either side of the beam and the flexi was a feed-through. i'll grab some clips too and see get this bit ready in anticipation, thanks for the heads-up

cheers

toby

Skoda wanted just £43.99 a side delivered and the TRW alternative was a bargain at just £41.99 a side. seems a bit steep for half a meter of bent steel and a bit of garden hose but i guess mr skoda has to eat and pay the rent.

looking into the DIY alternative instead.

Neither skoda nor the local motorfactor could confirm that the lines fit drums, Vag-Cat list the parts (1J0611763 & 1J0611764) with an E suffix for drums with the others K, R and AD as definitely for discs. seems odd that they'd bother making separate - there must be enough pov spec vw, audi and seats running drums still to warrant making a 1 size fits all. perhaps not?

anyway, i'll let you know how I get on in DIYville.

cheers

toby

Yeah,hard line up to the rear beam,then I have a 4 inch braided line,then hard line over the beam to the cylinder/calliper!

The last bit is rubber...

There are little U shaped clips that locate the hose onto the rear beam,you may also want to renew those as they can poop themselves when they ping out!

They're only 60p or so....

Yep did this few months back.

£16 a side and got spare white hard lines clips too. Easy job but fiddly lining up hard lines to connection at rear beam end.

Obviously the drum set up is different to one with calipers so lets not muddy the water to much and make things confusing here, The drum set up doesnt have a rear flexi, its a hard line all the way from the flexi on the beam (which does feed through a metal bracket for support) to the wheel cylinder.