Will I miss the flappy pedals on the steering wheel?

So I'm waiting for my 1.8 TSI estate with DSG and have slightly mixed feelings about not choosing the optional steering wheel with paddle shifters for the gearbox. The demo cars I tried all had the paddle shifters, so I didn't think twice about selecting it as an extra kit for the car I ordered (as I somehow thought it was part of the standard kit), but a part of me thinks that I should have included it on my extras list. 

So my main question is: Will I miss the paddle shifters?

I assumed all DSGs came with paddle shifters?

I thought so as well, but it seems like the paddle shifters only come with one of the three spoke steering wheels (there is one without paddles).

• Like 1

Could be a country specific thing perhaps? I know that the UK VRS spec includes 3 spoke wheel (with paddles if DSG) as standard.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/skoda/skoda-octavia-vrs-11-07-13.asp

But there are sometimes big differences between country specifications.

Edit: I have paddles in my MkII, must have used them twice in 2 years. Even if you didn't have them then no, I don't think you would miss them!

Edited by rked

Looks like yes it is an option. From the UK Octavia brochure:

"For an added sporty feeling and drive on models equipped with DSG, a 3 spoke steering wheel with paddles can be ordered"

But in all honesty I wouldn't worry about not having them, the other controls are way more useful (radio/mdi etc).

I have the paddles - standard fitment on my 2012 MkII FL vRS TDi DSG.  I won't have a car with DSG without the paddles.  The paddles are great for a temporary over-ride of gear selection without even having to take my hand off the steering wheel.  When preparing to overtake I can drop a couple of gears before starting the overtake and then go back into 'full' auto; all with just a few flicks of my fingers.  I have yet to use the manual position on the central console gear selector.

So my main question is: Will I miss the paddle shifters?

The simple answer is yes! In my opinion.

Wouldn't be without them in the Fabia, but in all honesty I'd rather have a manual

I have paddles on my Mk2 elegance 1.4 TSI, DSG and have just ordered them on same Mk3 estate. The DSG is least good on steep Derbyshire downhills: it quickly drops down the gears and over-revs for my taste so the paddles enable me to fully control the shifts so that I'm at the speed I want at revs that are not howling; also, as others have said for extra safe overtaking. I never use the gear lever to shift gears; I like the ability to control the car just by the wheel and the right foot. I get no psycho-kick at all from waggling my left foot and arm about. And the DSG can shift the gears more quickly and efficiently than ever I could 

I use them about 1% of the time in mine. Wouldn't miss them, pure novelty IMHO.

Have to agree with this. We have them on the Allroad and they gather more dust in the cabin than anything else!

On the odd occasion I have tried them, I find that it doesn't give you complete manual control over the gears only control of 3 or 4 at a time. It won't let you change up as you might in a manual car if you're taking it easy, for example. But then again it won't let you put it in first doing 70 on the motorway, so it's programmed to stop you breaking the car, which is a good thing.