rear door lock failure, opening suggestion

yellaVRS

• 2 years later...

the rear drives side door on my octavia vrs was broken since i got the car a couple of months ago, i decided it was time to get it opening again, i got information on other threads here about removing the door panel with the door closed, was nervous about doing this as i didnt want to damage the door card, however it popped off easily enough and i didnt break any of the clips which i was well pleased about, i tried sending power directly to the lock, tapping the lock, HITTING the lock, but no good it wasnt opening, i decided to smash it off as i had lost patience, so finally got the door open and removed the remains of the lock, i re assembled it on the bench afterwards to see exactly what had happened to it, the motor was faulty, it would work sporadically, so though id take a few pics of how to deal with this if it happened again, smashing it off is a little heavy handed..

so with a dremel or small angle grinder, grind away the section circled in yellow, this will reveal the cog of the motor, use a small screwdriver or similar to wind the cog till the lock is in the open position, the door should operate now so you will be able to open the door and replace the faulty lock, hope this helps.. ;) JD

Which direction did you turn the cog? I manage to get to the cog, but some how it seems to be spring loaded, so when you turn it, it returns back to its initial position.

Which direction did you turn the cog? I manage to get to the cog, but some how it seems to be spring loaded, so when you turn it, it returns back to its initial position.

thats coz it is. You need to use 2things - onr to turn and one to hold it like a ratchet. I used an opened out paper clip. I think you wind it towards the interior of the car, but i could be wrong..
  • Like 1

thats coz it is. You need to use 2things - onr to turn and one to hold it like a ratchet. I used an opened out paper clip. I think you wind it towards the interior of the car, but i could be wrong..

Ok thanks, I'll try it the weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks, finally manage to get it open. Yes, I had to turn the cog towards the door.

• Like 1

Thanks, finally manage to get it open. Yes, I had to turn the cog towards the door.

Isnt it stupidly satisfying being able open a car door?? Its the little things :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
YellaVRS, thank you for starting this really useful thread. Without it my OSR door would still be deadlocked.

BTW I found that once I turned the cog by a few teeth the deadlock motor would spin on command from the FOB ( so didnt need to turn the cog much at all :) )

old thread! 

quick q. if someone can indulge me. My NSR door is reluctant to unlock most of the time, can I drop a replacement lock in and have it work? Or does it need to be coded to the car or some other electrical fandangery? 

old thread!

quick q. if someone can indulge me. My NSR door is reluctant to unlock most of the time, can I drop a replacement lock in and have it work? Or does it need to be coded to the car or some other electrical fandangery?

Just plug in the new one and off you go. Cheapy chinese ones off ebay work fine, just be reeeeeally careful about how many threads are overlapped on the outer door pull cable. Being out by literally one thread (about 1mm) is enough for the door pull to not release the latch, which essentially lock the door as neither door release will then work (As i learned having to restrip the door to sort it out. I recommend testing the latch release several times with the door open before you decide to seal everything up again.. just push a screwdriver into the latch to pretend its closed.

• Like 1